The Highway

Main Differences Between Reformed Baptists and Presbytarians?

Posted By: JesusFan

Main Differences Between Reformed Baptists and Presbytarians? - Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:36 PM

In regards to how each views Covenant theology, in regards to the church/baptism etc?
Posted By: John_C

Re: Main Differences Between Reformed Baptists and Presbytarians? - Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:35 AM

Before answering this, we will have to make some definitions. What is meant by Reformed Baptist? I mean some puts those like John MacArthur as a Reformed Baptist, but he is only a Calvinist in his soteriology only, not in Covenant theology or ecclesiology, In order to be a Reformed Baptist when comparing with Presbyterians, is only baptism acceptable as being the only difference?
Posted By: Tom

Re: Main Differences Between Reformed Baptists and Presbytarians? - Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:15 PM

John
You are quite right to ask those questions.
If I had time and thought I could explain this in a form that did not resemble a book ;), I would do it. However, I think I would rather point to two sources that do it better than I can.
First from a Reformed Baptist perspective I recommend Samuel Waldron's book. 'A Modern Exposition of the LBCF'.
Second: Even though John Owen was a Paedo-Baptist, his works on Covenant Theology are highly recommended in most Reformed Baptist circles.
Don't remember a work, that specifically I could recommend at the moment; but perhaps it is even in the archive of the Highway?
I think it is important to note that many (not myself) who hold to the LBCF 1689, do not like the term 'Reformed Baptist', preferring to instead be known as 'Particular Baptists'.
Hope that is helpful.
Tom

Re: Main Differences Between Reformed Baptists and Presbytarians? - Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:12 PM

Reformed Baptists be those associated with the 1689 LBCF, and there does seem to be some differences on how they view Covenant theology from Presbyterians, as in baptism mode, and also when the chutch was founded.
Posted By: Derwood

Re: Main Differences Between Reformed Baptists and Presbytarians? - Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:17 PM

I am always bothered that so-called Reformed Baptist are lovers of John MacArthur!

Re: Main Differences Between Reformed Baptists and Presbytarians? - Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:14 PM

Just some of us are!
Posted By: Tom

Re: Main Differences Between Reformed Baptists and Presbytarians? - Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:00 PM

There are issues such as Dispensationalism, that I can't stand about MacArthur. Yet, I respect him on other areas such as soteriology.
I have learned over the years, even with those I respect to read the with discernment.
That goes with Sproul, Bahnsen, Packer, Owen and a whole list of theologians and preachers.
There is a point where someone has too many things wrong in their theology that it is no longer worth reading or listening to them.
MacArthur has not crossed that line yet, for me.
Tom
© 2017 The Highway