The Highway

My brother belongs to a Pentecostal Church

Posted By: cjones

My brother belongs to a Pentecostal Church - Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:40 AM

My brother belongs to a Pentecostal Church. He has invited me to his church several times and I went there but only once. The high volume singing and speaking in tongues made me uncomfortable therefore I consistently declined to go back. However, in searching the scriptures, I could not find anything that condemns the practice. The only thing I can find is Paul's letter to the Cornithians where he indicated his preference for christians not to speak in tongues (in public) as it has no value for edifying the church. But his preference was for them to seek the gift of prophesizing and interpreting prophesy.

My question is is there any scriptural support for this practice? Alternatively, does the Bible condemn the practice. Also, is it wrong to become Charismatic?
Posted By: Robin

Re: My brother belongs to a Pentecostal Church - Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:32 PM

The Bible does indeed condemn false signs and "uncertain speech" that does not edify the Church.

here is an index of several articles regarding the Charismatic movement (Pentecostalism). Pentecostalism, sincere though it may be, is based on a series of false assumptions. What we practice in worship must be based upon the truth.

In that index you'll find articles not only on the gifts of the Spirit, but also on the true meaning of Holy Spirit baptism and the errors of the Pentecostal application of it.
Posted By: cjones

Re: My brother belongs to a Pentecostal Church - Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:04 PM

Thank you for the link
Posted By: Manuel

Re: My brother belongs to a Pentecostal Church - Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:23 AM

The Bible does not condemn the practice of the TRUE gift of speaking in tongues: Actual earthly, understandable languages spoken as a sign to unbelievers (mainly jews). That's not what happens in charismatic circles

Re: My brother belongs to a Pentecostal Church - Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:22 PM

That sign gift was for a single generation - the one that rejected and murdered God's Son. It is not in legitimate use in any church or by any believer today.
Posted By: Big B

Re: My brother belongs to a Pentecostal Church - Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:17 PM

Those articles have been extremely eye opening for me.

Re: My brother belongs to a Pentecostal Church - Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:37 PM

Originally Posted by Big B
Those articles have been extremely eye opening for me.

Me too! Lots of really good stuff in there. And if I may say so, the stuff written by former Charismatics - the ones who have "been there and done that" - are especially helpful for those of us who are familiar with common Charismatic practice as well as doctrine.

Posted By: Big Bill Price

Re: My brother belongs to a Pentecostal Church - Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:35 PM

As a former Oneness Pentecostal preacher, I can tell you unequivocally that the modern Pentecostal/Charismatic movement is heresy. False promises, lying, false prophets, heretical doctrines, chaos, and fake gifts are the mess in the spaghetti. The tongues, and yes, I spoke with tongues, are not biblical, and the emotionalism is outrageously humanistic.
© 2018 The Highway