The Highway
Posted By: John_C Analysis - the Great Awakening - Fri Mar 28, 2003 12:25 AM
I, too, as Linda pray that God will bring about a revival. <br><br>I wonder who has some thoughts are about the lasting effects of the Great Awakening. It is always referred too as a mighty work of God, and no doubt it was. From what I have read it was very short in duration, only a few years in length. Then factoring in the location of the revival, the Northeast, why did liberalism came so quickly after this revival. There must be some lasting effects and what do we see today as coming from this momentous time. <br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted By: Jason1646 Re: Analysis - the Great Awakening - Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:10 PM
Hi John,<br><br>As I posted to Linda in a previous thread, I think it is worthy to consider the analysis in "The Great Revival of Religion, 1740-1745" by Charles Hodge. <br><br>Regards,<br><br>Jason
Posted By: Pilgrim Re: Analysis - the Great Awakening - Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:34 PM
John,

In addition to Hodge's excellent book on the history of revival, I would highly recommend the following for your further study:
    [*]The Great Awakening: A History of the Revival of Religion in the time of Edwards & Whitefield by Joseph Tracy (Banner of Truth)[*]Lectures on Revivals by W.B. Sprague (Banner of Truth)[*]Revival & Revivalism: The Making and Marring of American Evangelicalism by Iain H. Murray (Banner of Truth)[*]The Life and Labours of Asahel Nettleton by Bennet Tyler and Andrew Bonar (Banner of Truth)[/LIST]Iain Murray has several other books on revival which are also valuable resources on this subject. He is a well known Revival authority and historian.

In His Grace,
Posted By: William Re: Analysis - the Great Awakening - Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:47 PM
In an article titled Evangelism and the Reformed Faith by Rev. David Engelsma<br><br>He said speaking of the reformers<br>Some have dared to criticize the Reformers for a lack of interest in missions. Defenders of the Reformers, seemingly stung by the charge, have responded that the Reformers were too busy for missions, but that Calvin once sent several missionaries to Brazil. The truth of the matter is that the Reformation itself was missions - a gigantic, energetic, world-wide mission work, with abundant and enduring fruits. The gospel was proclaimed to multitudes in many nations who were fainting and scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd, perishing in the ignorance and lie of Roman Catholicism.<br><br>Evangelism is not limited to work done with heathen, to work done with those who make no profession of faith in Jesus the Savior. On the contrary, it includes the work of the Church with those who profess Christianity and belong to a church, but who are either ignorant of the truth of the gospel or have departed from it. To bring the gospel to such is not "sheep-stealing," but sheep-gathering; it is not "fishing in troubled waters," but fishing for men.<br><br>[color:blue]Does anyone think that this could have been true of the great awakening of 1740-1745 and could it be true today?</font color=blue> <br>
© The Highway