The Highway

How do we provoke unto love and good works?

Posted By: chestnutmare

How do we provoke unto love and good works? - Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:03 AM

I have a question that I woke up thinking about. Maybe you will have some thoughts on it to help me as I think through this. I will quote the larger passage for context and then ask about the specific portion that I am wondering about.

Hebrews 10:1925 [ASV] "19 Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holy place by the blood of Jesus, 20 by the way which he dedicated for us, a new and living way, through the veil, that is to say, his flesh; 21 and having a great priest over the house of God; 22 let us draw near with a true heart in fulness of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience: and having our body washed with pure water, 23 let us hold fast the confession of our hope that it waver not; for he is faithful that promised: 24 and let us consider one another to provoke unto love and good works; 25 not forsaking our own assembling together, as the custom of some is, but exhorting one another; and so much the more, as ye see the day drawing nigh."

My question is about how we are to effectively accomplish this? "let us consider one another to provoke unto love and good works;"
Posted By: li0scc0

Re: How do we provoke unto love and good works? - Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:36 PM

The preterist in me dares to ask if the original intent hinges on 'as ye see the day drawing nigh'?
But disregarding that, your question remains an excellent one. How ARE we to do so?
It seems the following verse (v25) answers this to some extent...by making sure we assemble together. Isn't that one of the shames of the modern Christian, how so many have taken such a PERSONAL view of faith? "It is about me and my relationship with Jesus". No, dear friend, it isn't! We are to assemble TOGETHER! And if we do so, we fulfill that command.
There is also the command to exhort one another. Let's discuss this part further!
© 2017 The Highway