The Highway
Posted By: Tom Is Love a Feeling? - Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:20 PM
I was recently involved in a Reformed blog where the question was asked "Is Love a Feeling?
I said to the person that love is not a feeling, because if love was a feeling, one could fall in and out of love, based on how they feel in the moment. I went on to state that love certainly creates feelings, but it is not a feeling in itself.
Other replies , were in agreement with this, except for one person who said he was surprised that so many who are Reformed would give an answer like that. For Reformed people have always affirmed that love was indeed a feeling. He said anyone who has read history would know this. For example Jonathon Edwards, was very clear about "religious affections", that love was a feeling that was pure, unlike the feelings that change like the emotions of sinful man.
What are your thoughts on the matter?

Tom
Posted By: Pilgrim Re: Is Love a Feeling? - Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:59 AM
The question is too vague. And, I suspect the dissenting person has an agenda to promote. Perhaps this person believes that God's "love" is emotional? If that is the case, then he would be in error, for 'historically' Reformed theology holds that God is not governed by passion (emotive influence) [cf. WCF Chapter 2:1]. In fact, John 3:16 literally says, "For God loved the world in this manner that He gave His only begotten Son so that believers would not perish but have eternal life." If I were you I would try to get at the reason behind this person's disagreement with you and show from Scripture where 'love' is a feeling.

FYI, "love" takes many forms; Action(s) which benefit someone other than yourself, Filial, Friendship, and Erotic, at least the Greek language has four distinct words for the English word "love".
Posted By: Tom Re: Is Love a Feeling? - Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:27 PM
Hi Pilgrim

The person gave me a link to a 13 minute video by John Piper to show this. (Yes I know you are not a fan of John Piper)
It is about the 6 minute mark where he talks about the emotions (affections). He talks about a prof he had that made it mandatory for students to read a book called 'Situational Ethics'(by the way I do not endorse situational ethics). The book said you can not command the emotions. Piper rejected this, but personally I think he goes too far in saying love and other affections are "emotions".
Just to let you know, although I used to enjoy listening to John Piper. I no longer do, because I think he is a little too undiscerning for me.

Tom
© The Highway