The Highway

Spanking

Posted By: Tom

Spanking - Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:59 AM

Throughout all the years as a Christian, every single Church that I have ever been to from the Salvation Army, Pentecostal, etc… has always taught that parents should spank their children. Among the Bible passages that they used to support this are Proverbs 13:24; Proverbs 29:15; 23:13-14; 22:15.
Imagine my shock when on a Reformed Facebook page, when some of the participants believe that we should not take these verses literal.
How would you respond to this?
Tom
Posted By: Pilgrim

Re: Spanking - Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:58 AM

The parents need to be spanked. giggle

Hermeneutically, it is impossible to not take those texts literally. How else would one understand them? scratchchin Of course, someone like a Dispensationalist or one who has gone off the tracks and embraced NCT (New Covenant Theology) [similar hermeneutics] who thinks the OT is irrelevant to a large degree, particularly when it comes to the law, would say they are not applicable to the NT Church. But otherwise, there is really no good argument to dismiss them.
Posted By: Tom

Re: Spanking - Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:58 PM

Thanks, exactly what I thought.
By the way, the discussion was on how in Scottland (as in other countries) it is probably going to be illegal soon to spank a child.
It seems some Reformed Christian agree with it.
Tom
© 2017 The Highway