The Highway

Our Confessions Innerant?

Posted By: Tom

Our Confessions Innerant? - Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:21 PM

As many on the Highway do, I hold to a Confession. In particular the LBCF 1689.
Yet, recently I was told that because I do not agree with everything in the confessions such as the pope being "the anti-Christ". That I am not really Reformed then, because to be Reformed is to believe the confessions are "innerant".
I laughed that one off and told him that I am in great company then, because RC Sproul, Samuel Waldron, and a whole host of others disagree with their confessions on that issue.
The person said then obviously all of them are not Reformed then.
Is what this person said a common belief?
It is a new one on me.
Tom
Posted By: Pilgrim

Re: Our Confessions Innerant? - Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:07 PM

Where do you find these demented individuals? rolleyes2 No truly Reformed or professing Christian person would ascribe infallibility to a confession nor any other document, book, person or group of individuals. The only thing that is infallible is the Bible, which the Bible ascribes to itself (2Pet 1:16-21). The WCF Chapter 1 is more than clear that no one, group, etc., is infallible but the Scriptures only.

Whether what this poor deluded soul told you is "common belief" I have no way of determining. But it surely isn't something I have come across ever. In fact, in most denominations which are confessional, rarely require "strict subscription" of their respective confessions (standards) but rather a "loose subscription" and that the candidate for ordination must make known what objections he has to those standards.
Posted By: Tom

Re: Our Confessions Inneran - Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:40 PM

To be fair this individual said truly Reformed Christians distinguish between "innerant" and "infalable".
I decided to bow out of the conversation before he discribed what that means.
What I have been noticing a lot on Face Book group and other supposedly "Reformed discussion boards is Paedo-Baptistd and Credo-Baptists disrespecting each other.
I am seriously thinking of quiting that kind of social media all together.
Tom
Posted By: Pilgrim

Re: Our Confessions Inneran - Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:44 AM

1. Smart choice to bow out of the conversation.
2. Since no human document is divinely inspired, except the Bible, it cannot be either infallible (without error) or inerrant (non-factual).
3. A very brief but salient article on Ligonier Ministries can be found here: Inspiration, Infallibility, Inerrancy
© 2017 The Highway