The Highway

"Of Election to Everlasting Life" by Thomas Boston

Posted By: Pilgrim

"Of Election to Everlasting Life" by Thomas Boston - Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:10 PM

THE answer to the question, ‘Did God leave all mankind to perish in the state of sin and misery?’ contains two heads of doctrine of great importance in the Christian system, viz, the doctrine of election, and the covenant of grace, each of which I shall speak to distinctly. I shall discourse of the first from the text now read. In which we have, . . .

Starting with the passage from Ephesians 1:3-5, Thomas Boston expounds on these things:

• A party brought out of their natural state into a state of salvation, ver. 3. — Who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places. For whereas by nature they were under the curse, now they are blessed, and that plentifully, with all blessings, not temporal only, but spiritual and heavenly, coming from heaven, and to be consummated there.

• The person by whom they are brought into this state. It is by the Redeemer, as the purchaser. God the Father bestows them, as the Father of Christ, viz, for his sake. And they are blessed in Christ, upon account of his merit, and coming from him as their Head.

• Who those are whom God brings out of their natural state into a state of grace; the elect, ver. 4, 5. According as he hath chosen us in him, &c.

As is typical of the Puritans, one is fed a double portion from their writings; food for thought (doctrine) and food for the soul (life-changing application). I'm sure you will find this article to be a satisfying "feast". grin

Read it here: Of Election to Everlasting Life

And for those who desire to read it at a later time, it is found in the "Article of the Month" section linked on the homepage.

In His service and grace,
© 2017 The Highway