The Highway

The True Gospel of Christ vs. The False Gospel

Posted By: Pilgrim

The True Gospel of Christ vs. The False Gospel - Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:16 AM

Truly these are dark and perilous days in which we live, when voices from every quarter are heard saying, “Follow me, for I have the truth.” But surely we should heed the Scripture which warns us, “Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God; because many false prophets are gone out into the world” (I John 4:1). Therefore, based upon this Scripture of warning and others, I have been warning of the false gospel of carnal Christianity which has swept the world, and our nation more than any other, today.

Why is this so? Because it is a false “gospel” that allures the flesh; a false doctrine that has a form of godliness, but denies the power to deliver from the tyranny and power of sin. For it takes the Word of God and makes it teach that all a man has to do to be saved for heaven and made safe from hell, is to make a decision for Christ—give a mental assent to a set pattern of Scriptures—and just as long as a man or woman, young person or child has “believed,” it doesn’t really make any difference how they live, even if it be in open rebellion against God! So with God’s Word we have been waging war against this false gospel of carnal Christianity, showing the fruitage of the vast majority of Christendom today, the professors or converts of this false “gospel,” whose conduct belies the genuineness of their profession.

This is the introduction of this installment of The Article of the Month authored by L.R. Shelton, Jr. The full title is "The True Gospel of Christ vs. The False Gospel of Carnal Christianity". The article deals with two essential issues: 1) Easy Believism, so prevalent today throughout churchdom, and 2) The carnal life of professing believers in the modern church. Of course, the former can only produce the latter, for the modern false gospel is like putting lipstick on a pig, i.e., the result of giving assent to a few pithy statements, whether true or false, can only result in a false assurance of salvation and people playing 'churchianity'. They are able to speak the expected "God words" and phraseology and outwardly put on an aire of spirituality, but inwardly they are still as rotten corpses; dead in sin and on the road to perdition. The added problem and crime against heaven is that this reality is all too readily accepted and practiced throughout Christendom. The Christen religion has become little more than a shell with an empty center.

Thus, Mr. Shelton takes careful aim at not only the falseness of today's false gospel, but positively explains what is the fruit of one being transformed by the true Gospel; that being transformed into the glorious image of Christ and being partakers of Christ's divine nature.

Methinks this article will be both greatly despised by many and deeply loved by some, especially those who have actually received the saving mercy and grace of God in being brought to the living Christ through the Gospel.

You can read the article now by clicking here: The True Gospel of Christ vs. The False Gospel of Carnal Christianity.

Of course, you can always access this article and all previous articles by going to The Highway homepage and clicking on the "Article of the Month" logo.

In His service and grace,
© 2017 The Highway