Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Tom #55099 Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:40 AM
Addict
Addict
This seems interesting:

The Term “Conspiracy Theory” Was Invented by the CIA In Order To Prevent Disbelief of Official Government Stories

Ron Unz reports on the cold shoulder given to an extensively researched book that concludes that World War II hero General George Patton was murdered by the CIA because he became a powerful critic of Washington. http://www.unz.com/runz/was-general-patton-assassinated/

The book was ignored because the US media and public have been programmed to regard the US government as a truth-teller and those who expose government crimes as “conspiracy theorists.”

In 2013 Professor Lance Dehaven-Smith in a peer-reviewed book published by the University of Texas Press showed that the term “conspiracy theory” was developed by the CIA as a means of undercutting critics of the Warren Commission’s report that President Kennedy was killed by Oswald. The use of this term was heavily promoted in the media by the CIA. https://www.amazon.com/Conspiracy-T...mp;keywords=Conspiracy+Theory+in+America

It is ironic that the American left is a major enforcer of the CIA’s strategy to shut up skeptics by branding them conspiracy theorists.
Another interesting link:
https://www.alternet.org/civil-libe...y-theories-discredit-controversial-views

Last edited by Anthony C.; Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:59 AM.
Anthony C. #55103 Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:52 PM
Tom Online Content OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Online Content
Needs to get a Life
Anthony, I agree with most of what you said; especially with what it said about the CIA. However, there is a lot of quackery going on out there that should be viewed with suspicion. Unfortunately, even Christians fall prey to this quackery, without actually looking to find out if it is legit or not. When they do that, and forward this quackery, it fuels the fire of the people who are looking to discredit Christians.

Tom

Tom #55104 Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:31 PM
Tom Online Content OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Online Content
Needs to get a Life
I thought I would mention that there are a lot of people that believe that America was wrong to enter into WW2. That Hitler was actually on the correct side when they were fighting against Communist Russia. I have an acquaintance at work that believes this very thing and has given me some information that if believed, would add support to this belief. In the end, because the information was too much for me to wade through, I decided to steer clear of the issue and because he says he is a Christian. I try largely to steer most of our discussions towards Scripture.
I have unfortunately wasted a lot of time researching conspiracies such as Germany during WW2 and many other such conspiracies that people make me aware of. In the end however, I am finding that in most cases I have wasted my time and most of the information, I would not really know what to do with in the end anyway. The world today is full of its depravity; but as I think about it in light of the Gospel; I am reminded that although I may not be able to understand what is and what is not conspiracy etc…I can have confidence that God is sovereign through-out His creation and as RC Sproul once said:
Nothing escapes God’s notice; nothing oversteps the boundaries of His power. God is authoritative in all things. If I thought even for one moment that a single molecule were running loose in the universe outside the control and domain of almighty God, I wouldn’t sleep tonight. My confidence in the future rests in my confidence in the God who controls history. https://www.ligonier.org/blog/if-god-sovereign-why-pray/

As I think about what RC Sproul said here. There have been times when I have been so engrossed in finding out the truth about controversies, that I found it hard to keep my eyes on where my confidence should rest. This is largely because my time of study of the controversy became a lot more than my time in prayer and study/reading God's Word.
As a result, my spiritual life suffers and I loose sleep, get depressed etc...

I have become convinced from talking to Christians, on that last point. I am definitely not alone.

Tom

Last edited by Tom; Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:42 PM.
Tom #55105 Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:34 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
The quote from Sproul is incomplete and by leaving out the next few sentences of his introductory comments, it fails to give the whole truth concerning God. God is most certainly "authoritative", i.e., He has the warrant, the right, the authority to govern all things. But IF that was the whole of it, then it would and does beg the question which sets the biblical God and biblical doctrine of God's sovereignty apart from all other belief systems which men fabricate in their infant and depraved minds, aka: idolatry. Here is the rest of Sproul's comments which includes that which is most important:

Nothing escapes God’s notice; nothing oversteps the boundaries of His power. God is authoritative in all things. If I thought even for one moment that a single molecule were running loose in the universe outside the control and domain of almighty God, I wouldn’t sleep tonight. My confidence in the future rests in my confidence in the God who controls history. But how does God exercise that control and manifest that authority? How does God bring to pass the things He sovereignly decrees?

Augustine said that nothing happens in this universe apart from the will of God and that, in a certain sense, God ordains everything that happens. Augustine was not attempting to absolve men of responsibility for their actions, but his teaching raises a question: If God is sovereign over the actions and intents of men, why pray at all?
Yes, 1) God rules over all things (providence), AND 2) God ordains all that He governs by His providence (sovereignty). It is NOT the case as is believed and taught in the majority of professing Christian churches, that God's power and foreknowledge (prescience, i.e., knowledge before all things actually happen) allow Him to prepare to act when the things He allegedly saw beforehand do happen. nono This is akin to the story of the little Dutch boy who tried to stop the leaks in a dike by sticking his fingers in the holes. The God of the Bible is not to be compared to a thermometer which simply records what the existing temperature is. The true living God is more like a thermostat which determines and then controls the temperature. God cannot know that which He hasn't ordained. NOTHING can exist or happen which God hasn't ordained. There is no "future" into which God must peer in order to gain knowledge, regardless whether one insists that God is "outside of time" as a rebuttal of this truth.

Isaiah 46:9-10 (ASV) "Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; [I am] God, and there is none like me; declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times things that are not [yet] done; saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure;" (cf. Isa Isa 41:22; 43:24; 44:7; 45:21; Ps 33:11; 135:6; Pr 19:21; 21:30; Da 4:35; Acts 4:27,28; Rom 11:33-34; Eph 1:9-11; Heb 6:17, et al).

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Tom #55106 Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:19 PM
Addict
Addict
Yeah, I agree with that....

As far as the US government is concerned, my gut tells me it's been all downhill since the JFK assassination...

But Trump is doing some good things

Last edited by Anthony C.; Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:59 PM.
Pilgrim #55108 Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:23 AM
Tom Online Content OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Online Content
Needs to get a Life
Pilgrim
You are correct it was wrong of me to not have provided the whole quote. Although I did indeed read the whole thing and knew the context when I made my post. What I had in mind, was concerning God being in control of every molecule and therefore like Dr. Sproul, I can sleep having complete confidence in Him, no matter what. That was my main point, but in neglecting the rest of the quote regardless of my intent, it can cause confusion.

Thanks for pointing this out. Your reminding me that I need to provide the whole context, reminds me that I have said things similar to what you said to other people when they failed to provide the whole context. Therefore, I need to take my own medicine.
Lately, I have had the opportunity to disciple a few people, on how to exegete Scripture, when it comes to their Bible study. One of the main points I have tried to drill into them, is they need to read the whole chapter for context, before they start on individual verses. Unfortunately, I failed to do what I told them to do.

Tom

Last edited by Tom; Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:30 AM.
Tom #55111 Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:30 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman
thewave Kudos Tom! thewave

Anthony C. #55150 Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:06 AM
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted by Anthony C.
It's solid Tom..... John also brings up some good points....but the 'deep state' is doing very outward evil.... So I think most of it is true.... Throw a little Paul Washer in there and you truly have a complete picture on the hows, the whats and the whys

It IS solid.

And the evil that is being unmasked is incredibly wicked. If Q succeeds, the Lord has given us a reprieve. If Q fails, only His return will be able to overturn it. Let us pray without ceasing.

https://www.neonrevolt.com/

In this was manifested the love of God toward us, because that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through him.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,457 Gospel truth