Donations for the month of February

We have received a total of "$0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,154
Posts52,819
Members956
Most Online523
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,910
Tom 3,940
chestnutmare 3,060
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,805
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Pilgrim 13
Tom 9
Meta4 2
Recent Posts
"Christ died in a general way for all."?
by brightfame52. Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:54 AM
The God of contemporary Christian ~ A.W. Tozer
by Rick Bates. Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:42 AM
Red Letter Bibles
by Tom. Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:23 PM
Pride ~ William Mason 1773
by Pilgrim. Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:25 AM
Is man required to "choose" in order to be saved?
by brightfame52. Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:31 AM
MacArthur Sermon Controversy
by Tom. Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:03 PM
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:42 PM The God of contemporary Christian ~ A.W. Tozer [by Rick Bates]

"These things you have done, and I kept silent.
You thought that I was altogether like you!
But I will rebuke you and accuse you to your face!" Psalm 50:21

The God of contemporary Christianity is only slightly superior to the pagan gods of ancient Greece and Rome--if indeed He is not actually inferior to them, in that He is weak and helpless--while they at least had some imagined power.

Among the sins to which the human heart is prone, hardly any other is more hateful to God than idolatry; for idolatry is at bottom a libel on His character. The idolatrous heart assumes that God is other than He is--in itself a monstrous sin; and substitutes for the true God, one made after its own likeness. Always this god will conform to the image of the one who created it--and will be base or pure, cruel or kind, according to the moral state of the mind from which it emerges.

The essence of idolatry is the entertainment of thoughts about God that are unworthy of Him. Wrong ideas about God are not only the fountain from which the polluted waters of idolatry flow--they are themselves idolatrous. The idolater simply imagines things about God--and acts as if they were true.

If we insist upon trying to imagine Him--we end with an idol, made not with hands but with thoughts. And an idol of the mind, is as offensive to God as an idol of the hand!

Before a Christian Church goes into a decline, there must first be a corrupting of her Scriptural thoughts of God. She simply gives a wrong answer to the question, "What is God like?"--and goes downhill from there. Though she may continue to cling to a sound nominal creed--her practical working creed has become false. The masses of her adherents come to believe that God is different from what He actually is--and that is heresy of the most insidious and deadly kind!

The heaviest obligation lying upon the Christian Church today is to purify and elevate her concept of God, until it is once more worthy of Him--and of her!
0 31 Read More
Mon Feb 08, 2021 6:53 PM Red Letter Bibles [by Tom]
I am having a discussion with someone concerning the “red letter” words of Jesus.
He contends that the words of Jesus are more important than the rest of Scripture. (He is pro-red letter Bible)
Myself and others have tried to explain to him that all the Bible is inspired (God breathed)) and is just as important as the “red letters”.
I have basically given up on the discussion.
However, I can not seem to understand his latest post and wonder if It is just me?
What do you make of the following?

Tom. I listen to RC sproul and he mentioned Benjamin b warfield .

Benjamin b warfield and Cornelius van til wrote on the inerrancy and authority of scripture .

When God created everything he did so for one purpose- since the purpose of all things via the scripture evidence is that all things work together to declare God. Gods Glory. Gods Son. Gods truth. Gods attributes and characters plans and purposes decrees and intentions and communication.

When God inspired the Words themselves over the events he insured that every word would convey from the events what he intended the events - objects- the names the themes - the living allegories- the theatre of Gods declaration- the matrix code of Gods communication. Exactly what he intended them to. From start to end . You don’t hat which he ordains.

And inside of that we have certain books for certain reasons - layers upon layers of revelation being dressed out by the Holy Spirits perfect work in inspiration of words over the events!

A infinite number of layers in every book. Since it’s a declaration via the events first! And then gathered and explained by the words SECOND ! Of an infinite God who has made himself known according to his Good pleasure.

Now - knowing all this ! If we had to ! I would have Jesus words. Since he declared the Kingdom - since he spoke - since he was illuminating power and revelation of all life and scripture itself.

Yes! Without the Holy Spirit scripture is impossible to understand ! Yes ! We are blind unless the Holy Spirit reveals . Yes we can do nothing except God draws us - make us - holds us- keeps us and brings us into heaven by his power.

That is the point. I understand.

I’m just saying. If I had to choose ! Since I already said the OP was a straw man argument I would go with Jesus words in red. Preference . You want Romans go with Romans . Holy Spirit will reveal the truth through Romans. As much as he is required to reveal it through the red letters .

The problem with RC sproul is - I’ve never heard him talk about the cirlcuar nature of God inspired because it’s God inspired ,

Jesus said- even if I testified of myself my testimony is true. But the scriptures testify of me.

In that day. He was referring to the Torah and etc. the events of the Hebrew people in which every book testified of Jesus of God. Through all the characters and events. He said without circular argument that the facts declare your existence to be the Word of God itself in raw form that all the events work together as one who is controlling them all perfectly to declare Jesus in which the Holy Spirit makes known. He said that the Holy Spirit makes known! But he didn’t appeal to the Holy Spirit Jesus appealed to the Torah, the events themselves that declared him as God in which all things are contingent upon.

The creation is contingent upon the bible- the bible contingent upon creation.

If their was no creation no
Events no objects to be used in the picture format to represent Jesus then their would be no written word declaring it. God has done what a. Thrice Omni God has done. He didn’t have to but he did. And it’s genius ! It’s the greatest truth of reality we can know apart from the realities of Gods attributes and character in the experiencing ways he may give to his own, .
7 589 Read More
Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:41 PM Pride ~ William Mason 1773 [by Rick Bates]

"I hate pride and arrogance!" Proverbs 8:13

What a monster of pride is man! How full of that cursed venom, is human nature! We cannot receive any grace or blessing from the Lord--but corrupt nature is prone to be proud of it, and to boast in it! No one is exempt from this. I appeal to your hearts. I refer to your experience.
When your heart has been enlarged in prayer;
when your soul has been carried out in humblings, meltings, longings, aspirings, etc.;
when you have heard the Word with warm affections and heavenly joy;
when your tongue has with sweetness and liberty, talked of Christ to others;
when your hand has been stretched forth to do any good work;
now in all these, have you not found pride very busy? Have not you been ready to stroke yourself with pleasure, and to reflect with delight: "Well, now the Lord loves me indeed! Surely He loves me better--now that I find myself so holy, and feel myself so heavenly!"

But where is our precious Jesus all this while? We have looked at ourselves--until we have lost sight of Him! We have been admiring our vile selves for our graces--instead of being in raptures with Christ, who is altogether lovely, in whom all fullness of grace dwells, and out of whose fullness we receive grace upon grace!

"The Lord detests all the proud of heart!" Proverbs 16:5
1 255 Read More
Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:39 AM MacArthur Sermon Controversy [by Tom]
A sermon by John MacArthur is causing quite a stir in the Christian community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=b31RwRqCuOY

Just after about the 7 to 10 minute mark of this sermon. It appears that John MacArthur is against “Freedom of Religion” that the Constitution guarantees.

How I found out about this, is a Presbyterian posted something that said “MacArthur understands Presbyterianism better than most Presbyterians do.”

Some however, say they think MacArthur is just strictly speaking from the position of a Christian, an ambassador of Christ and not that of a civil magistrate.

I listened to the sermon and I am not sure; but it does sound like he is against “freedom of religion” period!

In other words (if I understand him), if he is consistent he would be against the Constitution concerning “freedom of religion”, that was designed to protect people against what happened in England. For example, in the 1600s there was only one “state sanctioned Church” called the Church of England. As a result, nonconformist pastors such as Baptist pastor John Bunyan (the author of Pilgrim’s Progress) was thrown in jail for preaching illegally.

It would be interested to read what others think he is saying as well as your take on the matter.

Thankyou

Tom
1 287 Read More
Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:01 PM To profess religion when the times favour it is no great matter [by chestnutmare]
To be holiest in evil times is an indication of the truth of grace. To profess religion when the times favour it is no great matter. Almost all will court the Gospel Queen when she is hung with jewels. But to own the ways of God when they are decried and maligned, to love a persecuted truth, this evidences a vital principal of goodness. Dead fish swim down the stream, living fish swim against it. To swim against the common stream of evil shows grace to be alive.

~ Thomas Watson.
0 185 Read More
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (brightfame52), 52 guests, and 141 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Pinoy Reformista, Randall Bachman, brightfame52, 042Dave, Lotero
956 Registered Users
Shout Box
February
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Popular Topics(Views)
1,214,679 Gospel truth
Page Time: 0.065s Queries: 5 (0.031s) Memory: 2.3475 MB (Peak: 2.6055 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2021-02-26 16:10:38 UTC