Donations for the month of May

We have received a total of "$25" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,499
Posts53,907
Members969
Most Online523
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,207
Tom 4,208
chestnutmare 3,197
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,835
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 22
Pilgrim 16
jta 12
John_C 5
Recent Posts
“You can’t Legislate Morality”
by Tom - Sat May 21, 2022 2:28 PM
Love is not a rule, but a motive.
by chestnutmare - Fri May 20, 2022 1:04 PM
Travel
by jta - Fri May 20, 2022 7:04 AM
Principles of Conduct
by chestnutmare - Thu May 19, 2022 1:08 PM
By nature too much inclined to what is evil
by chestnutmare - Wed May 18, 2022 9:18 PM
Children and Vaccines
by jta - Wed May 18, 2022 7:33 AM
“You can’t Legislate Morality” Tom Yesterday at 06:28 PM A friend sent me something from a book that D. James Kennedy wrote.
I would like to get some feedback on it.

YOU CAN’T LEGISLATE MORALITY”
You probably have heard the cliché that you can’t legislate morality. Well, that has to be one of the most foolish statements anyone has ever made. If you can’t legislate morality, pray tell me, what should you legislate? Immorality? We have some in our country today who would like to do that, and they have made their attempts. Congress continues to wrestle with this, as do the courts. But historically speaking, you can’t and shouldn’t legislate immorality, and we have not, historically speaking, legislated anything but that which is moral. In every nation law is built upon morality and ethics, and ethics flow out of religion. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., pointed out that at the very least, the law could be used to prevent immorality: “While the law cannot change the heart, it can certainly restrain the heartless.”
The late great Dr. Francis A. Schaeffer said, “Show me the laws of any nation, and I will tell you its religion.” It’s just that simple. If you want a classic example of this, go to Lebanon. If you commit a crime in Lebanon, which is partially Christian and partially Muslim, they will ask you, “Do you want a Christian trial or a Muslim trial?” because they know there is a vast difference between the two. And there would probably be, depending on the crime, a vast difference in the outcome.
All legislation is based upon ethics and morality, and all morality stems from religion. What has happened in this country for the last half century is that the religion of secular humanism has been pushing aside the religion of Christianity upon which this nation was based, from which its ethics arose, and upon which its legislation was framed. So now today we have a dual foundation, and our legislators don’t know whether they are voting for laws based upon humanism or based upon this nation’s Christian foundation.
The humanists have done an amazing job in bringing this to pass. They have succeeded in passing into law many of their particular religious tenets and documents, such as abortion, gambling, free divorce, the freedom to have sex with any consenting person (no longer consenting adult), and many such things as that. You see, it is always some morality that is being legislated into law, and you will find that the person who is screaming the loudest, “You can’t legislate morality” is with his other hand busily engaged in promoting the legislation of his own morality into law behind your back. That is what has been happening in America today. The people who have been most active in legislating humanist morality into law have also been the most vocal in screaming that you can’t legislate morality. Do you begin to get some idea that a bit of a con game has been going on in our nation?
0 13 Read More
Love is not a rule, but a motive. chestnutmare Fri May 20, 2022 5:04 PM Love is not a rule, but a motive. Love does not tell me what to do; it tells me how to do it. Love constrains me to do the will of the beloved one; but to know what the will is, I must go elsewhere. The law of our God is the will of the beloved one, and where that expression of his will withdrawn, love would be utterly in the dark; it would not know what to do. It might say, I love my Master, and I love his service, and I want to do his bidding, but I must know the rules of his house, that I may know how to serve him. Love without law to guide its impulses would be the parent of will-worship and confusion, as surely as terror and self-righteousness, unless upon the supposition of an inward miraculous illumination, as an equivalent for law. Love goes to the law to learn the divine will, and love delights in the law, as the exponent of that will; and he who says that a believing man has nothing more to do with law, save to shun it as an old enemy, might as well say that he has nothing to do with the will of God. For the divine law and the divine will are substantially one, the former the outward manifestation of the latter. And it is "the will of our Father which is in heaven" that we are to do Matt. 7:21; proving by loving obedience what is that "good and acceptable, and perfect will of God" (Rom. 12:2). Yes, it is he that doeth "the will of God that abideth forever" 1 John 2:17; it is to "the will of God" that we are to live 1 Peter 4:2; "made perfect in every good work to do his will" Heb. 13:21; and "fruitfulness in every good work," springs from being "filled with the knowledge of His will.

~ Horatius Bonar
0 20 Read More
Principles of Conduct chestnutmare Thu May 19, 2022 5:08 PM It is symptomatic of a pattern of thought current in many evangelical circles that the idea of keeping the commandments of God is not consonant with the liberty and spontaneity of the Christian man, that keeping the law has its affinities with legalism and with the principle of works rather than with the principle of grace. It is strange indeed that this kind of antipathy to the notion of keeping commandments should be entertained by any believer who is a serious student of the New Testament. Did not our Lord say, If ye love Me, ye will keep My commandments (John 14:15)? And did He not say, If ye keep My commandments, ye shall abide in My love, even as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in His love (John 15:10)? It was John who recorded these sayings of our Lord and it was he, of all the disciples, who was mindful of the Lord’s teaching and example regarding love, and reproduces that teaching so conspicuously in his first Epistle. We catch something of the tenderness of his entreaty when he writes, Little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue, but in deed and truth (1 John 3:18), Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God (1 John 4:7). But the message of John has escaped us if we have failed to note John’s emphasis upon the keeping of the commandments of God. And by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He that says, I know Him, and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keeps His word, in him verily the love of God is made perfect (I John 2:3-5). Beloved, if our heart does not condemn, we have confidence toward God, and whatsoever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are well-pleasing in His sight . . . And he who keeps His commandments abides in Him and He in him (1 John 3:21, 22, 24). For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments (1 John 5:3). If we are surprised to find this virtual identification of love to God and the keeping of His commandments, it is because we have overlooked the words of our Lord Himself which John had remembered and learned well: If ye keep My commandments, ye shall abide in my love (John 15:10) and He that hath My commandments and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me (John 14:21). To say the very least, the witness of our Lord and the testimony of John are to the effect that there is indispensable complementation; love will be operative in the keeping of God’s commandments. It is only myopia that prevents us from seeing this, and when there is a persistent animosity to the notion of keeping commandments the only conclusion is that there is either gross ignorance or malignant opposition to the testimony of Jesus.

~ John Murray
0 22 Read More
By nature too much inclined to what is evil chestnutmare Thu May 19, 2022 1:18 AM For the Lord spoke thus to me with His strong hand upon me, and warned me not to walk in the way of this people, saying: Do not call conspiracy what this people call a conspiracy, and do not fear what they fear, nor be in dread. But the Lord of hosts, Him you shall honor as holy. Let Him be your fear, let Him be your dread. Isaiah 8:11–13

This taking hold of the hand is, therefore, highly necessary, because not only are we fickle and liable to unsteadiness, but we are also by nature too much inclined to what is evil, though no one entice us. But if the force of custom be added, we are scarcely master of ourselves. Undoubtedly, we would every moment be driven up and down, were it not that we are held by the powerful government of God, and fix the anchor of constancy in firm ground. Every one of us ought to meditate earnestly on this thought; for though we may be convinced, yet when it comes to the trial we fail, and look at men rather than God. We should, therefore, attend more carefully to this doctrine, and pray to God to hold us, not only by his word but by laying his hand on us. Besides, it ought to be observed that we are exceedingly disposed to wicked imitation. When we see bad examples, we are drawn to them with great force, and take the example for a law; for when others go before us, we think that we have a right to act in the same manner, and especially when it is not only one or a few persons who have led the way, but the custom has become universal. What is in itself manifestly wrong is concealed by the plausible cloak of public opinion; and not only so, but all are carried, as it were, by the violence of a whirlwind, to adopt an established custom, as if the will of the people had the force of a law to authorize their corruptions. This has not been the fault of a single age, but at the present day it abounds as much or even more than before; for it is an evil deeply seated in all by the corruption of nature, to reckon a prevailing error as a law.

~ John Calvin [Commentary Isaiah 8]
0 28 Read More
Travel Tom Wed May 18, 2022 3:11 AM Some here may know that in Canada, those unvaccinated are not allowed to fly. However, other Christians in the USA told me that can be solved by driving across the border and catching a flight.

The problem I have with that, is all Canadians going into the USA are required to provide proof of vaccination.
I told them that I can not in good conscience lie to a border guard. The response I received back were either people laughing (via emoji) or saying chances are I would not get asked anyway.

Am I wrong to think this way? Or even more so, to be concerned that Christians would tell others to possibly lie to a border guard?

Tom
16 210 Read More
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 47 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Cliniql, John E, ManassehAmerican, jta, DiscipleEddie
969 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,341,609 Gospel truth