Donations for the month of September

We have received a total of "$25" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,267
Posts53,172
Members964
Most Online523
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,021
Tom 4,035
chestnutmare 3,078
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,818
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Pilgrim 27
Tom 22
Ruben 9
Robin 7
John_C 4
Recent Posts
Rage Against the Unvaccinated!
by chestnutmare - Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:50 AM
Strength via Weakness
by NetChaplain - Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:29 AM
Good News for a Change
by Pilgrim - Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:53 PM
Doxology
by chestnutmare - Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:41 AM
John 3:16 – Kosmos refers to "Believers Only"?
by Pilgrim - Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:25 AM
All-inclusive Object
by NetChaplain - Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:58 PM
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Quotes Jump to new posts
two things of which I am sure chestnutmare Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:31 AM
When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons.

~ John Newton
0 9 Read More
Open Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Rage Against the Unvaccinated! chestnutmare Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:50 PM
Sorry for this trial. Stand firm and wait on the Lord.
2 72 Read More
Devotional Jump to new posts
Strength via Weakness NetChaplain Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:29 PM
To be strong in self, even new self, is to be weak in the Lord, for the command is—“be strong in the Lord, and in the power of His might” (Eph 6:10). Thus to be strong in one’s self is to appropriate natural strength instead of spiritual strength; and natural strength never rightly endures, as only “the trial of your faith” does (1Pe 1:7), because your faith, concerning all things is solely in God and nowhere else.

When believers rightly reckon on faith, they are appropriating God’s provision of grace wherein they walk—which alone ever suffices the needs in the present time of difficulty, regardless the level of hardness (2Co 12:9). He would not have it any other way than by His grace, eliminating all natural means! Every time He meets our need, it isn’t in the provision that we learn the greatest lesson—but in the support of God continually assuring us of His presence and care for us at all times.
NC

Strength via Weakness

In the day of Elijah’s faith, the ravens can feed him, and the widow sustain him; in the day of his depression angels wait upon him and God Himself feeds him. What a Father we have to care for us! “His compassions fails not.” “Though He cause grief, yet will He have compassion according to the multitude of His mercies” (Lam 3:22, 32).

This was Elijah’s experience; awakened by the angel “he looked and behold, there was a cake baked on the coals, and a cruse of water at his head.” Moreover, Jehovah of Elijah’s day is the Lord Jesus of the Gospel day, and in like circumstances the wandering disciples may turn aside to fish all night and catch nothing, only to find in the morning the Lord of glory waiting on the needs of His failing servants with the fire of coals, and fish laid thereon, and bread and a loving invitation to “come and dine” (Jhn 21:9).

Thus, too, with ourselves. Our faith may grow dim; we may be downcast by reason of the apparent failure of all our service, and in our moments of depression and disappointment we may lose heart and think bitter thoughts, pray unadvisedly, and even murmur at our hard lot, yet our Father’s tender care never ceases; His mercies never fail.

Having refreshed His servant Elijah with sleep and food, the Lord gives him fresh directions. He learns that he is on a journey, but says the Lord, “the journey is too great for thee” (1Ki 19:7). What a journey was Elihah’s through this world. Cherith, Zarepath, Camel, Horeb, mark the stages of his pilgrimage, and the chariot of fire is ready to end it in power and glory, but every stage was “too great” for Elihah (requiring God’s provisions—NC).

The power displayed, the courage demanded, the faith required, the opposition to be encountered, the privations to be endured—all were too great for a man of like passions with ourselves. If for one moment Elijah loses sight of the living God; if he fails to walk in daily dependence upon God, immediately he will find that he is no better than his fathers and that the journey is “too great” for him.

It is good for us, as Christians, when we see that our rest is not here (undisturbed rest in God, as in the New Heaven—NC). We too, are on a journey that ends in glory, but a journey in which there are trials to meet, difficulties to overcome (and not allow failures to “trouble” you – Jn 14:1, 27—NC), testimony to be borne, and opposition to be faced. For ourselves, also, we may say the journey is “too great” and we are too small for the journey.

But if the journey was too great for Elijah, it was not too great for Elijah’s God. In tender love, God provides for the need of His servant; and “in strength of that meat”—the meat that God had provided—he went on his journey for “forty days and forty nights unto Horeb the mount of God” (1Ki 19:8).

With God all things are possible (all that He has willed through this entire life—NC). As we view the greatness of the journey and our own littleness, we may well cry out, “Who is sufficient for these things” (2Co 2:16)? But at once the answer comes, “My grace is sufficient for thee: for “My strength is made perfect in weakness” (2Co 12:9). So, if all the grace and power of the Lord Jesus in glory are at our faith’s disposal we may well press on “strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus” (2Tim 2:1).

—Hamilton Smith (1862-1943)

MJS online devotional excerpt for September 19

"Have you ever thought of the Father dealing with you not as to what you are in yourself, but as to where He has positioned you in His Son? Have you ever thought that it is the affections of the Father’s heart which flow down to us where we are, seeing us in the Son, not in our poor wretched selves? What we are in the old man is not the thing to scan (for we are “not in the flesh” – Ro 8:9—NC), but what we are, and where we are, in the Son; and what there is in the living affections of the Father, who has raised us up together with His Son, and has given us all heavenly blessings in Him." -George Vicesimus Wigram (1805-1879)
http://www.abideabove.com/hungry-heart/
0 28 Read More
Re: Good News for a Change Pilgrim Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:53 AM
I would assume that all parties are now consoled? giggle
1 75 Read More
Doxology chestnutmare Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:41 AM
Many congregations unknowingly sing a stanza each Sunday by Bishop Thomas Ken (1637-1710). What numerous congregations commonly call “The Doxology” (“Praise God from whom all blessings flow...”) is actually the final stanza of Thomas Ken’s hymn.

ALL praise to Thee, my God, this night
For all the blessings of the light;
Keep me, O, keep me, King of kings,
Beneath Thine own almighty wings.

Forgive me, Lord, through Thy dear Son,
The ill that I this day have done;
May peace with God and neighbor be,
Before I sleep restored to me.

Teach me to live, that I may dread
The grave as little as my bed;
Teach me to die, that so I may
Rise glorious at the judgement day.

O, may my soul on Thee repose,
And may sweet sleep mine eyelids close;
Sleep, that shall me more vigorous make
To serve my God when I awake.

If in the night I sleepless lie,
My soul with heavenly thoughts supply;
Let no ill dreams disturb my rest,
No powers of darkness me molest.

O when shall I, in endless day,
For ever chase dark sleep away,
And hymns divine with angels sing,
All praise to thee, eternal King.

Praise God, from Whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him, all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host;
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.

~ Thomas Ken, 1637-1710
0 43 Read More
Theology Discussion Forum Jump to new posts
Re: John 3:16 – Kosmos refers to "Believers Only"? Pilgrim Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:25 AM
Welcome to The Highway Discussion Board [Linked Image]

1. Personally, I counsel people to generally avoid Mike Jeshurun.

2. Yes, there are myriad other reliable sources that reject that the word "world" as used in Jh 3:16 is to be interpreted as 'everyone that has ever been conceived, or every single man, woman and child without exception, or any similar suggestion. Here are links to some examples:
- The 'World' of John 3:16 Does Not Mean 'All Men Without Exception'
- The Method of Salvation Through Jesus Christ
- TULIP

3. I've presented this myriad times here on these forums over the past 20+ years, but I'm always willing to do it again when the need arises. Let me give you a literal rendering of John 3:16 from the Greek "For God loved the world in this manner in that He gave His only begotten Son in order that the believing ones would not perish but have everlasting life."

The "world" in this text, taken in context, both far and immediate, IMO, is that God's saving grace which is only given to those whom He from eternity determined to save, was given to 'all types of men; not Jews only but also Gentiles' = "world". And that love is infallibly salvific in nature, i.e., it has, is and will result in the salvation of those in the world whom from all eternity God set His love. (cf. Eph 1:3-6; Rom 8:29,30; 9ff, et al)

Addendum: I apologize for not addressing your comment on Jeshurun's alleged definition of 'world' as found in 1Cor 4:9. It was an oversight on my part [Linked Image]. I would agree that to conclude that it is to be interpreted as "believers only" is rather odd at best and certainly unwarranted. For Paul includes "angels" as part of the group (world) who perceive the Apostles as 'theatrical'; as part of a show, those who gather the attention of onlookers.
1 79 Read More
All-inclusive Object NetChaplain Thu Sep 09, 2021 4:58 PM
More and more it becomes evident that the Lord Jesus does not have His proper place among the Children of God (though saved, yet many not adequately conformed maturely in Christ’s image, i.e. “walk as He walked” - 1Jo 2:6—NC). He is not the object of their hearts. It is either a doctrine, a dogma or an experience—something besides Himself (and this was written about 200 years ago—NC).

We seem to have much the same spirit that actuated Peter on the mount, when he said, “Let us make here three tabernacles” (so as to worship all three—NC). The Father solemnly rebukes this, “While he yet spoke, behold, a voice out of the cloud said: This is My beloved Son in Whom I am well pleased, hear ye Him. And when the disciples heard it, they fell on their face, and were sore afraid; And Jesus came and touched them, and said, Arise, and be not afraid. And when they had lifted up their eyes, they saw no man, save Jesus only” (Mat 17)?

Have you ever been in the “cloud”? Have you ever heard the “voice”? Have you ever been on your “face”? Then, have you heard another voice, “Arise”? Do the eyes of your heart see “no man save Jesus only? Many perhaps, have reached the top of the mount; but few, very few, have been in the “cloud,” have heard the “voice,” have been on their “faces,” have risen to see “Jesus only.”

“Christ is all” (Col 3:11). Do we make Him this? Is it a question of my salvation? “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved” (Acts 16:31). Is it a question of relationship with God? “Ye are all children of God by faith in Jesus Christ” (Gal 3:26). Is it a question of experience? “For me to live is Christ” (Phl 1:21). Is it a question of service”? “I can do all things (that He shows us to do in His Word—NC) through Christ which strengthens me” (Phl 4:13). Is it a matter of my path? “I am the Way” (Jn 14:6). Is it a question of heaven or the place to which my path leads? He would define it as “where I am” (Jn 14:3).

Oh, let us know more of that rich blessedness which comes of making Christ all, of seeing “Jesus only.” Our cry should be, “Oh, to know Him!” (Phl 3:10). In our selfishness we cry and beg for blessings. It is the Blesser we need, Himself (“need”- consumed by Himself more than His blessings—NC). He is the joy of the Father’s heart. Let us taste with Him the delight He takes in His beloved Son. The Lord Jesus is infinitely higher than doctrine or experience. Experience we shall have, but only with Him can our heats be satisfied.

Why is it we are not changed more “from glory to glory” (e.g. in our lifestyle—NC)? The veil has been rent; the Blood has been sprinkled; the Spirit has been given. The reason is we are occupied (preoccupied—NC) with ourselves and the work of the Spirit in us, rather than with Christ alone (Heb 12:2). This is the weakness in the vast holiness movement, especially (right motive, but often wrong method—NC). Let us look more in that unveiled face, from which streams the light of the knowledge of the glory of God (Heb 12:2). All else will pale and fade if we will but linger there (2Co 3:18—NC).

The Holy Spirit never occupies me with His work in me. The Word is, “He shall not speak of Himself.” “He shall glorify Me” (Jn 16:13, 14). To go further, the work of Christ, wonderfully blessed as it is, can never be the object of my heart. It gives my conscience peace, but only His Person can satisfy my heart (fellowship with the Lord Jesus involves only Himself and not His blessings, i.e. thinking on Himself as much as possible—NC).

The Father directs our attention to Him (Mat 17:5). The Spirit would occupy us with Him (Acts 7:55, 56). The Word of God testifies of Him (Jn 6:39). He is the Object of faith; He is the Object of love: He is the Object of Hope; and the faith, love or hope that does not make Him the Object is without reality. The risen Lord Jesus must be all for my path, all for my growth, all for my service and all for my worship. “Unto you therefore which believe, He is precious” (1Pe 2:7).

—F U B

MJS online devotional excerpt for September 9

"If we go on with the Father, sweet as is the assurance that we belong to Him, yet the uppermost thought will in the long run be Himself. We shall come back to His Person. We shall in our praises weave with them what the Lord Jesus has done, suffered, and won for us; but the primary thought in our hearts is, not what we have gained, however true, but what He has been for us and what He is for us, yes, what He is in Himself." -J.B.S.

"There is usually only occupation with the Lord Jesus for the relief of the conscience, and if so, where does it stop? It stops when the relief is gained. But if He is the object of the heart, you will never be satisfied but in fellowship with Him where He is." -MJS
http://www.abideabove.com/hungry-heart/day/2021/09/09/
0 51 Read More
Re: The Tyranny of Trudeau Pilgrim Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:56 AM
There have been similar reports here in the U.S.; people who were on the short list for life necessary transplants being removed from the list unless they have been vaccinated. One such person in particular recently appeared as a guest on Fox News. And, his doctor was very adamant that getting the vaccine would probably kill him due to his condition and without the transplant he would die. Wickedness knows no bounds.

John 15:18-21 (ASV) 18 If the world hateth you, ye know that it hath hated me before [it hated] you. 19 If ye were of the world, the world would love its own: but because ye are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you. 20 Remember the word that I said unto you, A servant is not greater than his lord. If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they kept my word, they will keep yours also. 21 But all these things will they do unto you for my name's sake, because they know not him that sent me.

1 John 5:19 (ASV) 19 We know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in the evil one.
3 154 Read More
Re: When Tyranny Becomes Law Pilgrim Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:45 AM
You can tell the absolute truth and get no 'takers'. But that doesn't negate the truth but the sad state of the hearers. If someone refuses to hear the truth, then you shake the dust of your sandals and move on. But if no one tells the truth, how will they know the truth. Does all this sound familiar. Yes, it is particularly true concerning the Gospel, but the principle is certainly applicable to all facets of life. wink
7 296 Read More
Ever Closer NetChaplain Tue Sep 07, 2021 8:07 PM
"Draw nigh to God, and He will draw nigh to you" (Jas 4:8). The next most important issue after regeneration (being saved) is spiritual growth in the Lord Jesus (Eph 4:15), so that we will be most used of God to encourage the saved and draw the lost. In our rebirth, God saves our life; in our walk, God "conforms" our lifestyle! Believers are united with God in redemption, and are brought closer all the time in their fellowship with Him. All who have been reborn continue to draw closer to God, and this is seen in their walk!

Union with God has to do with being saved, and fellowship has to do with growth from that union; and according to Scripture all who have been saved are unceasingly receiving from God enablement to "will and to do of His good pleasure" (Phl 2:13). Thankfully, everything God does in His Son for those who are and will be His, is permanent; a truth without which no adequate growth in Christ (not related to just being in Christ) can suffice for lasting encouragement, especially in the trials!

Granted, there are often scriptural passages that appear to present opposing doctrine to this truth, but this is just part of the difficult-to-understand portions of the Word of God (which are usually growth-related) for the purpose of encouraging continued and increased study and research where most of the Christian growth truths are contained within the Pauline Epistles.

A believer can and should desire a growing fellowship with God, but the nearness of it will accord with the level of application in learning to know, understand and apply the Christian growth truths within the NT. It also stands to reason that the closer the fellowship, the greater is our patience when enduring trials, and the more God is glorified.

The most significant position a believer can maintain for growing in Christ is fellowship with the saints in the Word and worship, which could never be overstated!

May the Father of spirits ever give us to be in subjection to Him (Heb 12:9)!

Blessed be God!
0 42 Read More
Quotes Jump to new posts
Occasional thoughts of things above? chestnutmare Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:48 AM
We all profess that we are bound for Heaven, immortality and glory. But is there any evidence that we really desire to go there if all our thoughts are consumed about the trifles of this world, which we must leave behind us - and we have only occasional thoughts of things above?
~ John Owen
0 26 Read More
Re: Is it clear? Pilgrim Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by ATulipNotADaisy
"Christ died for all who would believe in him." Is this a clear statement? John Calvin said ambiguity is the fortress of heretics. Would saying something like Christ died for the elect whom the Father gave to Him based solely on His sovereign will be clearer?
The first statement is open ended, ambiguous and opens the door wide to semi-Pelagianism. I would turn it around and say, "All for whom Christ died will believe on Him."

The second statement is true but not exactly an alternative to the first because it doesn't address the matter of saving faith. The truth of the matter is nicely stated in Jesus' words:

John 10:26-27 (ASV) 26 "But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep. 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:"
It is not uncommon for man to turn this text on its head (which the first statement is guilty of) and say, "You are not of my sheep, because you don't believe." rolleyes2

Sorry for the brevity. grin
1 95 Read More
Quotes Jump to new posts
Indwelling Sin in the Believer chestnutmare Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:28 AM
Be clothed with humility " says the apostle ( 1Peter 5:5 ). This is what becomes us as the only safe disposition. For he who walks humbly , walks safely. This is the purpose of Peter's advice , " Pass the time of your sojourning here in fear" (1 Peter 1:7) . This is not a servile fear of bondage that upsets and perplexes the soul. It is the fear that keeps people constantly upon the Father in the light of final judgement ." If you call on the Father , who without respect of persons judges according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear". This is the humble frame of mind.

How is this humble disposition obtained ! How is it kept? It is only achieved by a constant , deep apprehension of the evil , vileness , and danger of sin. The publican prays , "God be merciful to me a sinner ". This sense of sin kept him humble. Humility led him to plead for pardon from sin.

In the case of Joseph we also see that to fear the effects of sin is to fear the Lord. " How then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God ?" Indeed , the fear of sin and the fear of the Lord are the same thing." The fear of the Lord, that is wisdom ; and to depart from evil is understanding " ( Job 28:28 )

~ John Owen
0 21 Read More
Re: Foreknowledge Pilgrim Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:36 PM
Originally Posted by Tom
Is there anything from the context and meaning in the applicable passages that show what is actually meant
by the word “Foreknowledge” or “foreknow”.
Yes, if one properly exegetes the passage. IF <-- "foreknew" is simply prescience (knowledge about), then what would have been that knowledge about those individuals that precipitated God to predestinate them, consequently call them, justify them and finally glorify them? scratchchin And, if there was something God perceived in them, then most importantly 1) salvation must be of works and not grace, 2) God is not omniscient for before He allegedly perceived that whatever was of those individuals, that knowledge was unknown to God. Oh, and don't forget to include another salient question concerning God's "prescience"... where did these individuals come from? Did not God create them and determine their beginning and their end? Are you beginning to see the impassable problems if one defines "foreknew" as simply knowledge about? Ephesians 1 certainly answers the question concerning those whom He foreknew. [Linked Image]
3 135 Read More
Quotes Jump to new posts
Whatever may be my circumstances chestnutmare Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:24 PM
Whatever may be my circumstances, whatever changes I may pass through, whatever I may be called upon to bear, Christ Himself will be my constant companion! But only faith; not imagination or feelings; will be able to realize and appreciate His presence. Literally the Greek reads, “Lo! I am with you all the days,” which, personally, we much prefer to “alway.” No fair-weather friend is Christ. He is with us in cloudy days equally as in sunny ones.
Studies in the Scriptures 1948
~ Arthur W. Pink
0 27 Read More
Our Father’s Kiss NetChaplain Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:32 PM
In Adam the entirety of mankind is turned away from God and is in the condition of “the prodigal son,” away from the Father, needing to return to Him; and though God knew most would never choose to come to Him, His work is for those whom He knew would come to Him!
NC

Our Father’s Kiss

The natural man is just like the prodigal; he spends his substance in the far country, and ruins himself. A man having $5,000 a year and spending $50,000 will seem very wealthy for a time; but look at the results. He is a ruined man. The moment man departed from God, he sold himself to Satan (e.g. allowed the devil place in his walk, as the devil is always “seeking to devour” 1Pe 5:8—NC), and is spending his soul, his heart, away from God. He even spends what God has given him against God, and when he is thoroughly spent, and has nothing to live on, he begins to be in want. “There arouse a mighty famine in the land” (Luk 15:14), and all the world feels that (e.g. a sense of meaninglessness or “vanity” - Ecc 1:14—NC).

Every sinner does not go to the same lengths of eating the swine’s husks, but all are in the same condition of ruin (Rom 3:23; Gal 3:22—NC). Every man has turned his back on God, though all have not run “to the same excess of riot, nor fallen into the same degradation (same degree of decadence—NC). The famine never draws back to the Father’s house. The prodigal joined himself to a citizen of that country, not to his father’s country. “He would fain have filled his belly” and “no man gave to him.” Satan never gives; that must be found where God’s love is, who spared not His own Son.

When the prodigal thinks of his father’s house, the whole work is morally done (salvation secured—NC), though he is not back yet. He turns, repents, his heart was changed, and thus his whole desire was to get back to his father’s house (all are away from God until saved—NC), from whence he had departed. He was not yet in the full liberty of grace (saved but yet to learn a godly walk—NC), so as to have peace and happiness, and he says to himself, “make me as one of thy hired servants”, He is brought to the sense of his guilt; and what was it, feeding with the swine? No, that was the fruit of it, but his guilt was in leaving his father’s house, and turning away from God.

When he came to himself he desired to return. This was truly a right wish, but the form it took in his mind, from his not yet knowing grace, was a legal one. “I am no more worthy to be called thy son; make me as one of thy hired servants; for when he was “yet a great way off, his father saw him, and had compassion on him, and ran and fell on his neck and kissed him” (Rom 5:8—NC). He could not have been a servant with the father’s arms around his neck. It would have spoiled the father’s feelings, if not the son’s. It was the joy of Him who was receiving back the sinner to Himself; and it is the knowledge of this which gives peace to the soul, nothing else does.

If a man does not know love, he does not know God, for “God is love.” The full revelation of God is what we have in the Lord Jesus. “Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known Me” (Jhn 14:9)? The Father acts from the joy and delight He has in Himself in receiving back the sinner, and therefore He does not think of the rages but of the child He has got back again. You will never get peace by the mere act of returning, but by learning the Father’s mind and heart about you (Jhn 17:23). Could the prodigal get peace as he was coming back, if his father had not met him? No, all along the road, he might be questioning: How will he receive me? Will he be angry with me? Will he spurn me from his presence? If he does, what will become of me? “But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him and had compassion, and ran and fell on his neck and kissed him.” If not so, he might have trembled even to knock on the door.

When the father’s arms were around the son’s neck, was he defiled by the rags? No; and he will not have the son bring rags into the house, but orders the best robe to be brought out of it. God sends His own Son out of heaven, and clothes the ragged sinner; and thus arrayed, the young man could bring credit to his father’s house. Surely, if we are clothed with Christ (Rom 13:14; Gal 3:27—NC), we shall do credit to our Father; and, “in the ages come, He will show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us through Christ Jesus” (Eph 2:7).

—J N Darby (1800-1882)

Excerpt from MJS online devotional for September 2

“When once we see and accept His purpose for our lives to the extent that it becomes our will also, the details of His process cease to matter. ”Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him" (Job. 13:15).” -MJS

"The one purpose our Father has in view, in all His ways, is to conform us to the image of His Son. This may explain our perplexities as to the past; it will govern our behavior in the present; it is to be our guide in the future. The chief concern of our Lord is not to instruct us about a multitude of details, not to explain to us the reason for the trials which we are called to pass through. He is working out everything to serve His one supreme aim in manifesting the character of His Son in His saints." -H.F.

0 52 Read More
Re: A woman crying out for help Tom Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:10 PM
Pilgrim
Thank you, completely inline with how I was thinking.

Tom
4 332 Read More
Article my Pastor Recommended Tom Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:58 PM
A while back my pastor came out strongly against
the stance John MacArthur took against government
lockdowns.
He provided an article that gives his basic reasons.
I was actually surprised, because he is a big fan of
John MacArthur.
His stance has actually cause a split in the Church.
https://davenantinstitute.org/christ-and-caesar-a-response-to-john-macarthur/

I would like to get some feedback of the article in question.

Tom
0 81 Read More
What's New on The Highway website? Jump to new posts
"Sing Unto the Lord" by RBC Pilgrim Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:57 AM
As the visible church continues in its downward slide, both theologically and in practice, i.e., it's conformity to the world I thought it would be a good time to revisit the issue of the worship of God. And to focus our attention on the subject of music for the church and specifically in its worship. What a person truly believes in the heart will most always come to expression in how that person worships their 'deity'. Reformation Bible Church evidently decided that it should address this issue head on and make a statement declaring where it stood on this matter. Thus, they published a "position paper" so that there was no question what they believed. This month's article is that position paper which I believe is biblically grounded and one which should be seriously considered by anyone who professes to be a believer in the Lord Christ. This is not a long dissertation but rather a rather compact statement that covers several areas which are most important. Those areas are:
  • Singing in Scripture
  • Singing Today
  • The Character of Music
  • The Words
  • The Music
  • The Performance
  • Conclusion

You can read the article now by clicking here: "Sing Unto the Lord" - A Position Paper on Worship Music.

OR

You can read it later at your leisure by visiting The Highway website and clicking on the "Article of the Month" logo.

As always, discussion of the Article of the Month is welcomed and encouraged in the appropriate forums. grin

In His service and grace,
0 172 Read More
Quotes Jump to new posts
Judgment-procuring sins of churches and professors chestnutmare Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:33 AM
Judgment-procuring sins of churches and professors, in the approach of a calamitous season, which are reduced in Scripture to these four heads:

• Lukewarmness, which was the judgment-procuring sin of Laodicea.

• Contenting ourselves in outward order and freedom from scandal; which was the judgment-procuring sin of Sardis, and will prove ruinous to the best churches in the world.

• Want of love among ourselves, and division in churches.

• Earthly-mindedness, and love of the world, and conformity to it, that is found among the generality of professors.

~ John Owen. The Just Shall Live by His Faith
0 50 Read More
“Be Conformed” (Ro 8:29) NetChaplain Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:53 AM
There is a vast difference between conforming and being conformed! The former is self, attempting to make a “vessel,” the latter is God making the “vessel” (Rom 8:13, 9:21); and it’s not the “good works” (Mat 5:16) of the saint that results in forgiveness, but the works are the result of being forgiven! We work out of our salvation, not for it. Since believers have been permanently established in righteousness, justification, sanctification and holiness, all that remains is that which pertains to their walk; that is, the ongoing work of “being conformed to the image of His Son,” in His lifestyle (Ro 8:29; 2Co 3:18; 1Jo 2:6). This involves the Spirit’s continuous work in us opposing the “flesh” or old man (Gal 5 17); the Son’s continual prayerful intercession (Heb 7:25); the Father’s “work in you to desire and do His good pleasure” (Phl 2:13).

Salvation involves being fully justified, sanctified and holy, all upon rebirth by the Creator of our new life—the Holy Spirit (Jhn 3:5, 6, 8). All three of which will unceasingly produce in believers being “conformed,” in their walk or lifestyle—“from glory to glory,” until “the glorious appearing of the great God and our Savior Jesus Christ” (Tit 2:13; 2Ti 1:10).

I have mentioned before, that it has been accurately said, “The lost need saved, and the saved need delivered.” That is, delivered, not in a salvific sense which is already established, but in our “manner of conversation” (1Pe 1:15; 2Pe 3:11), which is the entirety of one’s way of living. “Conversation”: Greek G391, “anastrophe,” definition 1) manner of life, conduct, behavior, deportment (https://www.blueletterbible.org/lexicon/g391/kjv/tr/0-1/). This “conformation” will continue until the Lord’s return, as it is in the lifestyle that God uses those reborn to reach others.

The issue with those reborn is never again about being or remaining saved. The “anchor of hope” (Heb 6:19) we have in Christ un-hinderingly establishes all that is redemption. Until it is learned that “the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable” (Rom 11:29), there will often be the difficulty of being as “a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed” (Jas 1:6), like “children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine” (Eph 4:14).

The pass-time of the saint in glorifying God is walking in exhortation of the Word (esp. the NT epistles), which supplies fresh graces and “mercies” for encouragement of the soul (Lam 3:22, 23)! Each believer, regardless of the difficulty can say to new self, “Rejoice in the Lord always: and again I say, rejoice” (Phl 4:4). This doesn’t involve trying to feel relieved in the trial, but just waiting it out by continually entrusting all to God while it slowly but surely passes (1Pe 5:7). The trials have only one purpose for the believer—to strengthen their faith, by the exercising of knowing all that occurs in the life saints is used for their good (Ro 8:28; 2Co 4:15), which is the purpose for God’s loving chastisements.

0 26 Read More
Quotes Jump to new posts
Facing Grief chestnutmare Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:30 AM
Always remember that, however soon and unexpected your parting with your relations was, yet your lease was expired before you lost them, and you enjoyed them every moment of the time that God intended them for you…Oh, if this had been done, or that omitted; had it not been for such miscarriages and oversights, my dear husband, wife, or child had been alive at this day! No, no, the Lord’s time was fully come, and all things concurred and fell in together to bring about the pleasure of His will. Let that satisfy you: had the ablest physicians in the world been there, or had they that were prescribed another course, as it is now so it would have been when they had done all…He who appointed the seasons of the year appointed the seasons of our comfort in our relations; and as those seasons cannot be altered, no more can these. All the course of providence is guided by an unalterable decree; what falls out casually to our apprehension yet falls out necessarily in respect of God’s appointment.

~ John Flavel
0 38 Read More
All Things Are Become New NetChaplain Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:51 PM
Today the great lack in souls is not in apprehending the new place into which the believer is brought. What is at the bottom of all individual and corporate failure is the lack of understanding and realization of our new position. “I am come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land . . . unto a land flowing with milk and honey” (Exodus 3:8).

We are not according to our Father’s pleasure, nor are we in simple restfulness as to our acceptance, if we do not enter by faith into the new place to which He in His grace has brought us. A further fact is, that we have no place but that; and when we get a glimpse of it, it alters immensely this place; this world through which we are passing, and all things in it, appear in another color altogether.

Can you say, “Heaven is my place, and I have no other home? No doubt, it is a wonderful thing to know that I am a saved sinner on the way to heaven. But is that all? No, I am a saved sinner fitted for, and brought into a new position now. Delivered from my sins? Yes. From judgment? Yes. From the world, the place under judgment to which I belonged? Yes. Thank God that is all true of each believer.

But there is more. Our Father brings us into a new place, and fits us for it; and everything He does for us is in keeping with the place into which we are brought (walking according to the Christian lifestyle—NC). I am made meet for it now; it is not that I shall be, but now while I am here. “Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in Light” (Col 1:12).

As newborn believers we are not clear concerning our new place. When we began first we were Arminian trying to get it. Now we are Calvinistic; we say, “We have it all, and that will do.” But that is not all! The Spirit of God has yet to make it good to us in experience. It is all ours, long ago accomplished on the Cross for us.

I can look up the shinning way and see it all done; but if we are not in it, if it has not been made good to us by the Spirit of God, there is no joy, no practical reality. The Holy Spirit dwells within to lead us into the actual experience, the present enjoyment of what the Lord Jesus has done for us, to lead our hearts into the apprehension of what we are, and what we have in Him, in that place where He is now. If there were more heavenly acquisition, there would be more surrender of things here. If your acquisition is daily, your surrender will be daily.

In Exodus and Joshua, we find the two great parts of the work of Christ typified; the one, by the Red Sea; the other by the Jordan. In the first we have the Lord Jesus dying for us; in the second, we have our dying with Him. Where does the crossing of the Jordan bring us? Exodus 15:17 tells us. “Thou shat bring them in and plant them in the mountain of thine inheritance, in the place, O Lord, which thou hast made for thee to dwell in, in the sanctuary, O Lord, which thy hands have established.”

In Colossians, the Red Sea and the Jordan coalesce. We are brought to God by the Lord Jesus dying for us; but there is the other aspect, and one which we have to learn practically, even that we have died with Him. We have died “with Christ from the rudiments of the world” (Col 2:20). Our history in Adam is ended, and now we have a new life and position. Our death with Him puts us outside of everything here. His death for us removes all between God and us; our death with Him removes all between us and God.

At the Red Sea, the enemy’s power was completely broken. In Jordan I have died with Him; I am free of Satan and the flesh where they both are, and introduced into a new scene. There is not a thing against me; all was ended in the Cross of Christ. I am clear of every single thing that barred me from the presence of my Father. You might say, “I do not feel it; but I am not asking you to feel it, but to believe it! The thief on the cross, a man who was a scandal to the Jew, and off scouring of society, was taken from the very lowest depths of shame and misery, and put into the brightest and most blessed place in company with the Lord Jesus that day; he was in the new place that fit!

There is no question about there being a beautiful place for the believer, but Christians limit it to its being theirs when they die. Scripture shows that it is ours now! They say, “You get heaven when you die.” No such thing. You have it now. It is not your death that entitles you to it, but the Lord Jesus’ death. There is not a single shade that was between us and the Father, the Son has removed it in His death for sins and unto sin. None can be truly happy and restful until they have a new place now, and that it is where the Lord Jesus is in glory.

Peter in his epistle speaks of “joy unspeakable and full of glory” (1Pet 1:8). That is not when we get to heaven, but now. It is a wonderful thing to know it down here. But how few rise up to the blissful apprehension of what is theirs! How often Scripture is reduced to the level of the thoughts and experiences of man! The salvation effected for us by our Lord Jesus Christ as truly gives title and fitness for a place in heaven now, as it delivers from hell. You rejoice that you are out of hell, but why do you not rejoice that you are in heaven; surely “your life is hid with Christ in God” (Col 3:3).

It is a wonderful thing to find that I have a place—one of unbounded joy and delight. Many and great efforts have been made by earnest-minded Christians to be heavenly, and to reach this. They have struggled to get rid of earthly things, refusing this thing, and that thing, in order to attain a heavenly state. But that is not God’s way. Get hold of your position there. Do you think a person can be much occupied with this place, if he has the joys of that place and Person in his heart?

Thank God we are heavenly, we are brought to that new place; we have the Spirit within us on this earth to bring us to the joys of heavenly places to which we belong, to fill and overflow our hearts whilst we journey through this old place. No one can be clear of the attractions and pleasures of the old place, without first knowing and tasting the joys of the new. And if we look around on the church today, what has been her ruin? Is it not from choosing an earthly portion, and not apprehending that her true and only portion is heavenly?

Does she not even teach that if souls are walking in the favor of God, they will be blessed with earthly blessings? Woe betide you if you seek earthly blessings! The truth is, that the more thoroughly we are for the Lord Jesus above, the more thoroughly He will preserve us from the power of earthly things here below. I am to represent the heavenly Man in the place where He has been rejected, and my joy and rest are in the place where He is accepted—both He and I!

When a believer has a real understanding that he belongs to that new place, the Holy Spirit of God centers his heart in the Person occupying that place. I used to pity those who are alone in the world. I pity no one now who has a room where he can find himself isolated from everyone, to be with the Lord Jesus; here he can have his feathers oiled to come out, and face all the roughness here.

- J B Stoney (1814-1897)

MJS devotional excerpt for Aug. 26

It is the Holy Spirit alone who can draw us from the flesh and its earthly environment. He does it in the practical sense by manifesting to our hearts, via the Word of God, the risen Lord Jesus Christ in our heavenly environment. “Put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfill its lusts” (Rom. 13:14).

“When the Lord Jesus’ love is before you, you find this love is drawing you from darkness to light. He begins by showing His desire for your spiritual advancement, and not by advancing you in earthly position.
0 101 Read More
Re: What if... Robin Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:43 AM
Other than the issue of baptism there isn't really anything to justify leaving my current church at all. My kids are grown and gone (both baptized believers, one a missionary). I have a longing to find a traditional Presbyterian church with a liturgy that includes the Creeds and Confessions at least occasionally and respects the RPW more than mine does. But we are being fed and well cared for. I think it would be disruptive to change now.

18 2,419 Read More
Re: Peter Enns Quote Anthony C. Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:17 AM
This exchange reminded me of…..

15 1,006 Read More
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Who's Online Now
1 members (chestnutmare), 60 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
atdcross, NetChaplain, winslowlady, Zach, Daverogk
964 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
September
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,282,349 Gospel truth
Responsive Width:

PHP: 7.0.30 Page Time: 0.074s Queries: 6 (0.064s) Memory: 2.5280 MB (Peak: 2.5820 MB) Data Comp: Zlib Server Time: 2021-09-19 08:46:15 UTC
Valid HTML 5 and Valid CSS