Donations for the month of November

We have received a total of "$40" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,313
Posts53,321
Members964
Most Online523
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,065
Tom 4,069
chestnutmare 3,086
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,820
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 21
Pilgrim 18
Meta4 3
John_C 2
Robin 2
Recent Posts
Romans 13 Sermon
by Tom - Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:53 PM
Exclusive Fare
by NetChaplain - Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:41 PM
The Returning Backslider ~ Octavious Winslow
by Pilgrim - Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:24 AM
True Deliverance
by NetChaplain - Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:54 PM
Calvin and the image of God
by Tom - Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:37 PM
My trusted Bible has an error in it
by Tom - Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:45 PM
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Open Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Romans 13 Sermon Tom Yesterday at 04:53 AM
Just so you know this sermon in mainly on Romans chapter 13; which many Christians seem to believe gives the government the right to do what they are doing. As you can see by the title of the sermon, the pastor disagrees with that understanding of the passages. Among the things he mentions a parts of the Reformation itself, including John Knox. As well as the Magdelburg Confession: 13th of April 1550 AD.
John Knox definitely did not understand Romans 13 in the way many are interpreted it today.

By the way, some of these pastors have criticized John MacArthur for his stand against the tyrants.

Another thing the sermon touches on concerning Romans chapter 13, is how at the time Paul wrote Romans chapter 13 Nero was Emperor, but he was a young teenager and at the time he ruled the kingdom through his parents and that was a relatively peaceful time; until years later when Nero was older.
The point being, many pastors use Nero to show that the passage was talking about obeying even when I tyrant like Nero is in power.

To be honest, I had never studied this aspect of the time that Paul wrote Romans 13 and would like to study that aspect a little more.

Tom
1 36 Read More
Devotional Jump to new posts
Exclusive Fare NetChaplain Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:41 PM
The worldling cannot understand how the growing believer lives. Both his life and that which sustains it lie entirely beyond the range of nature’s keenest vision. The Lord Jesus Christ is his life, and in Him he lives. He feels by faith, upon the powerful attractions of One who, though being “God over all, blessed forever,” “took upon Him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men” (Rom 9:5; Phl 2:7).

He traces Him from the bosom of the Father to the Cross, and from the Cross to the throne, and finds Him, in every stage of His journey, and in every attitude of His life, to be most precious food for his new man. All round, though, in fact, Egypt (a type of this world and “the old man”—NC) is morally a waste howling wilderness, affording nothing for the renewed mine. And just in proportion as the believer finds any material to feed upon therein must his spiritual man be hindered in his progress. The provision which the Father has made is the heavenly Manna, and on this the growing believer must feed (Jhn 6:51).

It is one thing to know that we have life in the Lord Jesus, together with full forgiveness and acceptance before the Father (permanently is the only way to understand this—NC), and it is quite another to be in continual fellowship with Him—feeding upon Him by faith—making Him the exclusive food for our souls. Very many profess to have found pardon and peace in the Lord Jesus, who, in reality, are feeding upon a variety of things which have no connection with Him whatsoever. The activities of the mew life will ever show themselves in connection with the Cross-subjection of “the old man and his deeds” (Col 3:9); and the more that is accomplished, the more will we desire to feed upon the Bread which strengthens man’s heart. As in nature, the more we exercise, the better the appetite; so in grace, the more our new life is called into activity, the more we feel the need of feeding each day, upon the Lord Jesus in glory (Psa 46:1).

If an Israelite neglected to gather, in the freshness of the morning hour, his daily portion of the divinely appointed food, he would speedily have become lacking in strength for his journey. Thus it is with us. We must make the Lord Jesus the paramount Object of our soul’s attention, else our spiritual life will inevitably decline (remain a “babe in Christ”—NC). We cannot even feed upon feelings and experiences connected with Him, for inasmuch as they are fluctuating and cannot form our spiritual nourishment. It was the Lord Jesus yesterday, and it must be Him today, and Him forever. Moreover, it will not do to feed partly on Him and partly on other things. As in the matter of Life it is the Lord Jesus alone, so in the matter of growth it must be Him alone. As we cannot mingle anything with that which imparts life, so neither can we mingle anything with that which sustains it.

We should ever remember that Christianity is not a set of opinions, a system of dogmas, or a number of views; it is preeminently a living reality—a personal, practical, powerful thing, telling itself out in the scenes and circumstances of daily life, shedding its hallowed influence over the entire character and course, and imparting its heavenly tone to every relationship; which one may be called of God to fill. In a word, it is that which flows from being associated and occupied with the Lord Jesus in heaven. This is Christianity—a Person. There may be clear views, correct notions, sound principles, without any fellowship with the Lord Jesus Christ (one can have the Spirit but not walk after Him - Gal 5:25); but an orthodox creed without communion with Him will prove a cold and barren thing.

—C H Mackintosh

MJS online devotional excerpt:

The believer in the midst of processing, is progressing.

“If spiritual thirst is the language of your heart, there is great blessing in store for you. When believers are being turned upside-down and inside-out they are apt to be much discouraged, and to have their souls ‘disquieted’ within them. But even amid the exercise the Father would give us the encouragement of knowing that He has taken us up to bring us into inconceivable blessing.

“We must travel through these processings, for the simple reason that if the Lord Jesus is to be everything, the old man must be nothing, and it is often times a long journey to reach this point in the history of the soul. Hence the long, dreary, and painful years of ‘self-occupation’ through which most believers drag their slow steps of spiritual progress.” -C.A.C.
http://www.abideabove.com/hungry-heart/
0 15 Read More
Re: The Returning Backslider ~ Octavious Winslow Pilgrim Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:24 AM
Thank you Rick for sharing the godly wisdom granted to Octavious Winslow of whom I have had the privilege of having read some of his writings. "Pastoral" doesn't begin to describe that man's mind and heart and soul. Is there anyone who names the name of Jesus that isn't touched by these words when read? We all like sheep have gone astray and are too often prone to wander. But the Great Shepherd of the sheep guards His own and brings them home without malice, but with chords of love. Oh, what a Savior we have!!
1 45 Read More
True Deliverance NetChaplain Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:54 PM
There is only a onetime deliverance from sin’s guilt and condemnation, but an on-going promised deliverance from sin’s “dominion” (Ro 6:14); in which dominion is the fact that one wills to follow sin with disregard unto God’s holiness and righteousness. Nobody realizes and understands the “law of sin” (Rom 7:23) that dwells within (Ro 7:17, 20) until it is manifested to the soul in rebirth! Just the issue of Paul’s discourse on the dichotomy of the old and new natures clearly describes one reborn, otherwise there would be only one nature.

It is found that though this “law of sin” (Rom 7:23, 25; 8:2) or principle ever remains, the “treasure” of the “heart” (Mat 6:21) from now on is “to will and do of His good pleasure” (Phl 2:13). The believer no longer “presumptuously” serves (Num 15:30; Heb 10:29) sin, but contrariwise, is as an unwilling “captive” (Ro 7:23), which denotes the “service” is against the will.

Because the “flesh” remains (not the body but the sin nature or “old man”), it will affect us; and there will be constant protest of the reborn against it all (Rom 7:25)—via the ever indwelling of the new nature or “the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness” (Eph 2:15); “after the image of Him that created him (it)” (Col 3:10). Therefore, the freedom from the dominion of sin is not in the eradication of it, nor from its workings, but in the given grace of the will in our new nature against it, which is the permanent place of what God desires concerning His own—our heart and treasure!
NC

True Deliverance

“Oh, wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from the body of this death” (i.e. “body of sin” - Ro 6:6, the old man and its “members” - Col 3:5—NC)? Poor wretched man! But (immense advantage) he knows it; he knows himself. Desires and efforts to do right have resulted in this—in the knowledge of himself and his real state: in him, that is, in his flesh, there is no good thing. But it is not (now that he is quickened of God) himself at all.

But this makes out no righteousness for him, no deliverance from the power of sin; he is still under it, being under law (i.e. yet under the law or principle of sin, which is its works against the believer, without effect to redemption—NC). It is an immense lesson to learn that we have no power (from self—NC). Thus taught, the man ceases to look to being better, or to doing (on his own power—NC); he has learned what he is, and looks for a Deliverer. The moment God has brought him there, all is clear. He thanks God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Though the subject treated be the experience of the soul under law (a principle—NC) when its spirituality is known through grace, the thing learned is not what law is, but what sin is—what we are (in our old man—NC). Hence, though the process be carried on under law (not the Law but a continuing principle, or tempting—NC), by which through the secret working of grace that knowledge is acquired, yet the thing we have come to know—what sin is in the flesh, is always true (old man works while we’re here—NC).

Hence, although it is the description of a soul under law, yet it is in a way in which the lesson remains for the believer at all times (e.g. Ro 7:14-25). Not that he is ever under law, or in the flesh—he never is (Gal 5:23; Ro 8:9): he has died as connected with the first husband, and for faith the flesh is dead (not its presence but its condemnation and dominion—NC), and he is delivered; but the lesson he has learned remains true. In him, that is, in his flesh, dwells no good thing; and it is experientially known. The flesh may deceive him if he is careless, and he forgets and neglects to “bear about in his body the dying of the Lord Jesus” (2Co 4:10); but it can no longer deceive him as to what it is itself. The power of the flesh is, for him, broken.

And further, he has no thought of being in the flesh before God. The Galatians shows his position. The flesh (old man) lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would. But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under law (Gal 5:17, 18). You are free with the liberty “wherewith Christ has set you free and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage” (Gal 5:1).

There is such a tendency in us to be occupied with ourselves, and really set up self in God’s place, that He uses these exercises to make us thoroughly glad to have done with ourselves (concerning how we are to respond to the old man - Eph 4:22; Col 3:9—NC). Thus we put ourselves under law, though born of God, which only leads us to cry out, “Oh wretched man that I am!” for it is only man and his efforts after good, not Christ. We have to learn that we are powerless, after owning and hating our wickedness (Psa 97:10; Pro 8:13; Ro 12:9—NC), and thus we are compelled to cry out, “Who shall deliver me?”

One looks for another to deliver him. It is not that self (old self—NC) gets better, but a deliverance from the old man we need, and God gives it (not deliverance from its guilt which is permanent at rebirth, but from its ongoing attempts to “rule” and regain its “dominion” – Ro 6:12, 14—NC). This may be soon, or not for a long time; but when one is thus brought to his true level (“irrevocable” redemption - Rom 11:29—NC), the Father in grace comes in, and brings out thanksgiving (due to reminding and assuring us that we are His – Ro 8:16—NC), “I thank God through Jesus Christ, our Lord.”

Strength follows when we find that we have none ourselves, not by gaining victory over self. Powerlessness is learned experientially, which leads to our having done with ourselves (old self—NC) and looking to the Lord Jesus for deliverance (from the old man’s opposition—NC). And we find that by grace we are in Christ, where there is no condemnation. On the one hand the law of the Spirit of life in Christ has freed us; on the other God has already executed the sentence of condemnation of sin in the flesh in the Cross of Christ. We are delivered to walk according to the Spirit (Gal 5:16, 25).

—J N Darby (1800-1882)
0 38 Read More
Theology Discussion Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Calvin and the image of God Tom Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:37 PM
Agree!

That is one of the reasons why I can’t stand these short little quotes of people.

Just read that someone else chimed in the conversation and showed Calvin’s position on the image of God in man.
The quote used in the meme pertains to the autonomous will of mankind being turned against God and completely incapable of pleasing Him apart from being saved. Book 1 of the Institutes gets into it.
4 212 Read More
Quotes Jump to new posts
Re: we sin freely NetChaplain Mon Nov 15, 2021 12:15 PM
Encouragement comes when the believer realizes that it's by the willingness of the indwelling old man that sins and not by the new man, for those reborn are separated in desire to sin from the old man (Ro 8:9). Willful sinning is never the believer in his new man--but the old man (Ro 7: 17, 20).

Be Encouraged
1 123 Read More
Re: My trusted Bible has an error in it Tom Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:45 AM
Meta4

Thanks for the information about the ASV and RSV. Especially the footnote in the NASB.
7 353 Read More
Re: NeoCalvinism Tom Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:35 AM
Pilgrim

I gave you that information, not to whine about how they were reacting to me. I was giving it as information about what is happening.

Yet, what you said is a good reminder not to start feeling sorry for myself. There is a very easy tendency that we can all fall prey to; is to take our eyes off of Christ and think somehow we can get through this in our own strength.

That is not only arrogant , but the consequences lead to self-pity. So that is the way I took you, rather than get defensive I am going to take it as a good reminder. I will say however, as fellow believers, we really need each other.

"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword?

As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.

Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us." (Romans 9:35-37 KJV)

Tom
25 1,473 Read More
He and We are Risen NetChaplain Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:08 PM
There is no greater exhortation, nor any lasting encouragement or sufficient growth in Christ other than being assured of eternal life in God; and that we are now vicariously with Christ in heaven through the union of the Holy Spirit in us—awaiting His return (Tit 2:13; Col 1:7; 3:4; 1Th 2:19; 3:13; 5:23; 2Th 2:I, 8; 2Ti 4:1, 8; Heb 9:28; 1Pe 1:7; 2Pe 1:16; 1Jn 2:28; 3:2; Rev 1:7).

Though the Lord Jesus merely mentioned about His “Church” or “Body” (Mat 16:18), it was through Paul whom He chose to first reveal “the fellowship of the mystery” (Eph 3:9), or mystery of the fellowship; which fellowship is the union of the Father, Son and Spirit with all reborn in the Lord Jesus (Eph 5:32). Thus Paul is said to “espouse” all believers in Christ unto Him, being the revelator of it by God. This article reminds us that as we are “about the Father’s business” in service and our lifestyle (“walk”), it’s all toward progressively “drawing neigh” in personal fellowship with our Father, through the Life of Christ in us (Col 3:4)—by the power and presence of Their Holy Spirit who is in us, I believe—“forever” (Jhn 14:16; Rev 22:17).
NC

He and We are Risen

I am afraid that when we speak of being here for Christ it is often the thought of our service or conduct that is prominent, and therefore it is well to be reminded that there is something over which the Lord Jesus is more concerned than He is over our conduct and our service. It is that “garden closed,” that “spring shut up”, that “fountain sealed,” from all others but Himself are excluded—the hidden spring of those affections which alone satisfy His heart, or render conduct and service acceptable to Him.

No doubt there are many believers who have not yet reached the Lord Jesus (not yet matured in this way—NC), simply because they have not had a Paul to “espouse” them to that “one husband” (2Co 11:2). They have not “heard” of His glorious victory, or of His new place as the Risen One (have yet to adequately understand the impact of His resurrection within believers—NC); they are struggling on in Egypt’s darkness and bondage; their lives are being wasted in worldly thoughts and upon worldly things, and in many cases they do not know but that they are doing God’s service—going in for politics, peace movements, etc. They are trying to improve Egypt (those who choose unbelief—NC), instead of seeing that the whole scene is under the Enemy’s influence (2Co 4:4) and the judgement of God.

If believers realized that the whole system of the world is under the judgement of God, they would be heartily glad to be clear of it all. But how few there are to proclaim that the world (unbelievers, which is the majority of mankind—NC) is a judged thing before God, and that the Lord Jesus and all the blessings of Christianity can only be found on the ground of resurrection and ascension. How few there are in Christendom today who are really seeking to bring souls to a Risen Lord—to espouse them to one Husband.

You know as a matter of fact that to be a good citizen, and to take part in everything that is supposed to tend to the improvement of the world, is looked upon by many even evangelical believers at the present day as part of Christianity; and all the great religious bodies are more or less occupied in seeking to improve their position and enlarge their influence in the world (of course not all but many—NC).

We cannot be too careful as to the influences which we allow to act upon us. We are affected by all that we hear, see and read, unconsciously it may be. The damage is done before we know it; like Ephraim, we have grey hairs and know it not (Hosea 7:9). I do not think that you can put yourself under the influence of the ministry which is generally found amongst evangelical Christians, either by hearing or reading it, without suffering loss to your soul (only concerning growth, but not your salvation—NC). You will find your heart turned back to things here—perhaps religious things—and correspondingly brought away from the Lord Jesus in glory (e.g. thoughts distracted away from heavenly things—NC). True affection for Him is blighted thereby, for He can only be known personally in glory, as One utterly rejected by man.

“Therefore, behold, I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak comfortably unto her” (Hos 2:14). If our affections are true to the Lord Jesus, they will make this world a wilderness to us; but if our affections do not make it a wilderness, His government will, He loves us too much to allow our heart to nestle here; and He makes us conscious that it is a wilderness so that He may have opportunity in our loneliness and our sorrow to speak to our hearts. The Voice that could not be heard in the din and bustle, and amid the laughter of the city, can be heard in the silence and solitude of the wilderness. Have you never had a wilderness interview with the Lover of your soul?

—Charles Andrew Coats (1862-1945)

MJS online devotional excerpt for November 10

“The knowledge of doctrine, essential as it is, gives no power. One might be very well up on the doctrine of deliverance, and know absolutely nothing of its practical reality. It is as our hearts are under the sway of that grace which is ministered to us through our Lord Jesus Christ, and as we are knit to Him in affection, that we touch and taste a new life, and are severed in heart from all that constituted the life of our old man. Thus the body of sin is annulled for our hearts, and we do not henceforth serve sin.” -C.A.C.
[align:center][/align]
0 49 Read More
Re: God-given INALIENABLE RIGHTS Pilgrim Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:28 PM
Interesting that he should mention what I have advocated for a loooooong time: peaceful civil disobedience in numbers. There are groups which I do not agree with who have been using this tactic for years. Most of the time, this hasn't worked for various reasons. But there have been instances where it has worked. If nothing else it does embolden those who agree with the issue but don't have the courage to speak out. For some reason I always remember when over 900 people marched on Victoria to protest against anti-marijuana laws. They all smoked their "BC Bud" on the steps of the capitol and no one was arrested. There were just too many for the police to deal with. Instances which have not worked to accomplish the intended purpose have been, e.g., the 'tree huggers' chaining themselves to machinery to stop the building of the new road from Vancouver to Whistler for the Winter Olympics. But I do believe that those who believe in freedom of choice as guaranteed by their respective country's official documents and laws and refuse to bow the knee to policies which violate those freedoms are one of the ways which should be done and by God's providence accomplish what is purposed.
3 228 Read More
Re: Loving Chastisement ~ Octavious Winslow Pilgrim Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:04 PM
Thanks, Rick!! This truth is so often unknown, forgotten or ignored by so many 'professing' Christians in our day. They seek peace and entertainment rather than faithful obedience to the One who they claim has delivered them from the world and the judgment to come. If we truly desire to walk in His paths which we are called to do, then afflictions shall surely come. Comfort is part and parcel of the Spirit's work, not in removing the affliction but IN the affliction so that we are gradually being conformed to His image. One of the foundational doctrines of our faith is the "Perseverance of the Saints" which is indeed based upon the complementary doctrine of the "Preservation of the Saints".

Philippians 2:12-18 (ASV) 12 So then, my beloved, even as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who worketh in you both to will and to work, for his good pleasure. 14 Do all things without murmurings and questionings: 15 that ye may become blameless and harmless, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom ye are seen as lights in the world, 16 holding forth the word of life; that I may have whereof to glory in the day of Christ, that I did not run in vain neither labor in vain. 17 Yea, and if I am offered upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, I joy, and rejoice with you all: 18 and in the same manner do ye also joy, and rejoice with me.
1 112 Read More
A Knowing-Hope! NetChaplain Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:44 PM
There is a hopeful-hope, which does not involve certainties but possibilities or even probabilities. Then there is a knowing-Hope, which involves only certainties; and such is Christianity, within which all is certain and permanent. Otherwise there would be nothing on which to truly depend!

There is no false Christianity, no false faith—just false professors claiming such. The lack of spiritual growth in the “image of Christ” (Ro 8:29; 2Co 3:18; Eph 4:15) within Christendom within the last century or so is due to inadequate understanding concerning the permanency of salvation, which contains “all things that pertain unto life and godliness” (2Pe 1:3).

Sufficient growth in Christ cannot begin admitting in increasing scales until believers come to the understanding that eternal life means forever: nor would One who is omniscient give such to one He knows is insincere when asking for it, because it cannot be canceled (“irrevocable” - Rom 11:29). You can be certain that you have eternal life (1Jo 5:13). The Spirit of the Father and of the Son assures you (Ro 8:16); you are “kept from evil (” 2Thes 3:3; 2Ti 4:18) and “kept from falling” (Jud 1:24; Rom 16:25).

It’s highly predictable and expected to realize that the most significant teachings related to spiritual growth are the ones most misunderstood; and the Enemy has well seen to it! Ignorance of truth is the result of not sincerely seeking it. The more truth is sought, the more it is found (“seek, and ye shall find” - Mat 7:7), conversely, the less truth is found, the less it is sought.
0 54 Read More
Twelve Stones = One Rock (Joshua 4:8, 9) NetChaplain Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:04 PM
All that believers do for God is the result of His “work” within to enable them (Phl 2:13)! What He did under the Old Covenant between Himself and Israel was “a shadow” (Col 2:17; Heb 10:1) of what He is doing with Christians in the New Covenant between Himself and the Lord Jesus (“Covenant of Redemption” – Heb 9:14, 15; 13:20, et al.). As the Father manifested Himself by isolating a “people of God” from the world, He continues to manifest Himself by isolating “children of God” from the world. These Covenants demonstrate that God always prepares souls before He uses them. This can be seen when believers, thinking back, may remember often having thoughts about God and how they possibly see now that they were prepitory to serve in “drawing” (Jhn 6:44) them into their present union with Him.
NC

Twelve Stones = One Rock (Joshua 4:8, 9)

It is faith in the risen Lord Jesus which enables us to apprehend (after an experience often as long as the forty years in the wilderness were for Israel) our deliverances from our old estate, and introduction into a new one in Him. The soul, long exercised, learns at length—and it is the Father who reveals it to faith—that what it was striving vainly to attain to, has not to be done, but is a present reality; for faith is a fact, an accomplished fact, in the Lord Jesus.

I used to wonder at the extreme simplicity of the language produced by the discovery of this important truth in Romans Seven, whilst it takes a whole chapter to describe the experience of a soul previous to knowing deliverance (we eventually learn the practical deliverance in our walk—NC). More than this, the despairing utterance caused by the hopelessness of the situation, changes without any interlude into one of gratitude and joy: “I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord.” The reason now seems simple enough. When the soul makes this discovery it learns that the deliverance which it was incapable of attaining, the Father has already wrought in the Son, so that it is no longer a thing to be accomplished.

How often I have seen souls seeking, by effort, to lay hold, so to speak, of deliverance. What was the result? When, after much struggle, they thought they had grasped its import, a single night sufficed to dispense the illusion just as dead leaves are swept away by the breeze between evening and morning. Ah—deliverance is not obtained in a moment, for just as there was no Jordon for Israel before the desert wilderness, so for us, deliverance comes after we have made the sorrowful discovery of what the flesh (old man—NC) is, and not before—all testimonies to the contrary notwithstanding. Deliverance is not a mere experience, but the result of the position in which faith rests.

For us it is not a moment of stones on Canaan’s shore, but our Rock on the shore of glory! It is the glorified Lord Jesus, the Object of our faith, Firstborn from the dead, risen and entered into the heavenly places; but One who represents us there, associating us with Himself, even as He associated Himself with us in His death unto sin (Rom 6:4). Moreover, the Father intends that the Lord Jesus thus set before us should produce a corresponding moral effect in us: “changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord” (2Co 3:18).

“It is a memorial unto the children of Israel forever” (Jos 4:7). It is also this for us, accompanied by the inward effect (not available before the Cross, i.e. the indwelling Spirit and the new man—NC). The believer, risen with the Lord Jesus, has the indelible marks of His death imprinted on him, and, if such is my position in Him, can I live any longer in the things which I have abandoned, which He has left in the depths of the Jordan?

The twelve stones at Gilgal, then, are not merely our death and resurrection with the Lord Jesus, the Jordan typified that, but the memorial of this death and resurrection as seen in a risen and glorified Lord Jesus Christ. All has crossed the Jordan—all believers have died with Him—but many amongst them perhaps care little to inquire the meaning of the monument at Gilgal, those stones which seemed to say in living accents to the people: “reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God in Christ Jesus” (Ro 6:1).

—Henri Louis Rossier (1835-1928)

Miles J Stanford excerpt for Nov. 3

“Spiritual growth is from stage to stage. There are great days, days of decisive battles, and days of crisis in spiritual history, days of triumph in Christian service, days of the right hand of the Father upon us. But there are also idle days, days of apparent uselessness, when even prayer and service seem a burden. Are we, in any sense, renewed in these days? Yes, for any experience which makes us more aware of our need of the Father must contribute to spiritual progress, unless we deny the Lord who bought us.” -W.G.S.

“It is not a man’s thanksgiving that he has been set free from suffering; it is to be thanksgiving that he has been set free through suffering. ‘Thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress’ (Ps. 4:1).” -MJS
0 89 Read More
Re: Will we recognize our deceased loved ones in heaven? Robin Tue Nov 02, 2021 6:34 AM
They did not recognize Jesus on the road to Emmaus (Luke 24:16) in spite of what must have been a very lengthy time together, in which He showed them, beginning with Moses and all the prophets, all that the Scriptures say about Him. It wasn't until the evening meal that they recognized Him (verse 31).

I don't think He will be hidden from us Above, but our vision is and always will be under His loving control.

I don't want to be recognized in my present ugly form, missing parts and all. Our bodies will be made new and flawless! I wouldn't be recognizable in a flawless new body! smile So I have to assume that our eyes would need to be opened in heaven just as the disciples' eyes were opened that evening in Emmaus.
4 454 Read More
Theology Discussion Forum Jump to new posts
Re: RC Sproul - godfather of new Calvinism? Pilgrim Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:06 PM
Originally Posted by Robin
All that is a bit over my head, but doesn't the Westminster Confession say that the light of nature is sufficient to demonstrate the condemnation of all men under sin, but that only supernatural revelation is sufficient for salvation?
Romans 1:16-23 (ASV) 16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. 17 For therein is revealed a righteousness of God from faith unto faith: as it is written, But the righteous shall live by faith. 18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hinder the truth in unrighteousness; 19 because that which is known of God is manifest in them; for God manifested it unto them. 20 For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, [even] his everlasting power and divinity; that they may be without excuse: 21 because that, knowing God, they glorified him not as God, neither gave thanks; but became vain in their reasonings, and their senseless heart was darkened. 22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools, 23 and changed the glory of the incorruptible God for the likeness of an image of corruptible man, and of birds, and four-footed beasts, and creeping things.
1. The Gospel [mediated by the Spirit] is the power of God unto salvation.
2. The natural revelation only shows Gods wrath upon all mankind [unbelievers].
3. Why? Because the power [omnipotence] and divinity [aseity] of God [His existence as God] is revealed in the creation AND more damning is the fact that these truths are innate in every human being [truths are manifest IN them]. But they all, without exception revile this truth and substitute this incontrovertible truth which they know with lies.

The WCF is simply echoing what Scripture teaches about natural revelation. It is possible to show these imaginative falsehoods which men substitute for the truth through apologetics, but all that does is enrage their hatred of God. The best way to approach unbelievers is to establish that EVERYONE begins with a presupposition; either their own fabrications or Scripture which is the source of all truth. And the only way that anyone is going to accept this is by the hearing of the Gospel and the work of the Holy Spirit regenerating their dead souls, giving them eyes to see, ears to hear and a mind that is able to comprehend the things of God.
6 462 Read More
What's New on The Highway website? Jump to new posts
"Special Thanksgiving to the Father" - CH Spurgeon Pilgrim Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:30 AM
Being that November is the month that both the U.S. and Canada celebrate their respective "Thanksgiving Day" holidays which have all but morphed into something unrelated to its original intent, at least here in the U.S., I thought it would be a good opportunity to provide an article on the subject of thanksgiving. But this thanksgiving is one that originates from the Word of God which endures forever and its meaning unchangeable. Charles Haddon Spurgeon is the author who should be familiar to everyone who has been blessed by the impartation of that amazing grace of God in their soul. Of course there are doubtless saints in this world who have not had the privilege of being introduced to this "Prince of Preachers" and his sermons. And if one of them should come across this article of the month today or some time in the future, perhaps their heart will be lifted up to give praise to God which was always Spurgeon's intent in all he spoke and wrote.

So, this sermon as the subject of this post indicates is an exposition of Colossians 1:12-13: “Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light: who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son.” And not only will this sermon present you will some 'gold nuggets' of this portion of God's Word, but also instruct you in the proper way to read and comprehend every passage of Scripture. I do pray that all who read it will be transformed to some measure in their faith to greater heights in their worship of God and an increased knowledge of His inspired, inerrant, infallible, supernatural written Word of God.

You can go immediately to this sermon by clicking here: Special Thanksgiving to the Father.

Or, to read it at a more convenient time, just visit The Highway website and click on the "Article of the Month" logo which contains this month's article and all past articles of the month.

In His service and grace,
0 145 Read More
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 63 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
atdcross, NetChaplain, winslowlady, Zach, Daverogk
964 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
November
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,302,338 Gospel truth