Donations for the month of May

We have received a total of "$25" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Rick Bates
Rick Bates
Charlestown, R.I. US
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,501
Posts53,910
Members969
Most Online523
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,207
Tom 4,210
chestnutmare 3,198
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,835
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 20
Pilgrim 14
jta 12
John_C 4
Recent Posts
Children and Vaccines
by Tom - Sun May 22, 2022 11:50 PM
The Love of God ~ John MacArthur
by Rick Bates - Sun May 22, 2022 5:36 PM
I am mute; I do not open my mouth,
by chestnutmare - Sun May 22, 2022 3:36 PM
“You can’t Legislate Morality”
by Tom - Sat May 21, 2022 2:28 PM
Love is not a rule, but a motive.
by chestnutmare - Fri May 20, 2022 1:04 PM
Travel
by jta - Fri May 20, 2022 7:04 AM
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Open Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Children and Vaccines Tom Mon May 23, 2022 3:50 AM
Jta

I was actually agreeing with you.
11 604 Read More
The Love of God ~ John MacArthur Rick Bates Sun May 22, 2022 9:36 PM
In this message preached at a Ligonier Conference 7 years ago, John MacArthur biblically explains God's love and also explains God's predestination of the elect. I hope it blesses you as it did me to the glory of God.

0 19 Read More
Devotional Jump to new posts
I am mute; I do not open my mouth, chestnutmare Sun May 22, 2022 7:36 PM
I am mute; I do not open my mouth, for it is you who have done it. Psalm 39:9

David looked through secondary causes to the first cause, and was silent. The sight of God in an affliction is irresistibly effective to silence the heart, and to stop the mouth of a gracious man. It is the duty of gracious souls to so act under the greatest afflictions and saddest providences.This is a prudent and holy silence. It sees God, and acknowledges Him as the author in all our afflictions: The Lord gave, and the Lord has taken away Job 1:21. If Job had not seen God in his affliction, he would have cried out, O these wretched Chaldeans, they have plundered and spoiled me! Job discerned God's commission in their hands and laid his hand upon his mouth. Aaron, beholding the hand of God in the untimely death of his sons, held his peace Lev. 10:3. The sight of God in this sad stroke is a bridle both to his mind and mouth. Joseph saw the hand of God in his brothers selling him into Egypt Gen. 45:8. Men that do not see God in an affliction are easily cast into a feverish fit. They will quickly be in a flame, and when their passions are up, they will begin to be saucy, and make no bones of telling God to his face that they do well to be angry Jon. 4:8-9 Those who see the hand of God in their afflictions, will, with David, lay their hands upon their mouths 2 Sam 16:11-12. If God's hand is not seen, the heart will fret and rage under affliction. Aaron saw God's sovereignty, and it silenced him. Job saw God's majesty, and it stilled him. Eli saw God's authority, and it quieted him 1 Sam. 3:11, 19. When afflictions arrest us, we shall murmur and grumble and struggle until we see that it is God that strikes. We must see him as King of kings, and Lord of lords and stoop under His almighty hand.

~ Thomas Brooks
0 14 Read More
“You can’t Legislate Morality” Tom Sat May 21, 2022 6:28 PM
A friend sent me something from a book that D. James Kennedy wrote.
I would like to get some feedback on it.

YOU CAN’T LEGISLATE MORALITY”
You probably have heard the cliché that you can’t legislate morality. Well, that has to be one of the most foolish statements anyone has ever made. If you can’t legislate morality, pray tell me, what should you legislate? Immorality? We have some in our country today who would like to do that, and they have made their attempts. Congress continues to wrestle with this, as do the courts. But historically speaking, you can’t and shouldn’t legislate immorality, and we have not, historically speaking, legislated anything but that which is moral. In every nation law is built upon morality and ethics, and ethics flow out of religion. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., pointed out that at the very least, the law could be used to prevent immorality: “While the law cannot change the heart, it can certainly restrain the heartless.”
The late great Dr. Francis A. Schaeffer said, “Show me the laws of any nation, and I will tell you its religion.” It’s just that simple. If you want a classic example of this, go to Lebanon. If you commit a crime in Lebanon, which is partially Christian and partially Muslim, they will ask you, “Do you want a Christian trial or a Muslim trial?” because they know there is a vast difference between the two. And there would probably be, depending on the crime, a vast difference in the outcome.
All legislation is based upon ethics and morality, and all morality stems from religion. What has happened in this country for the last half century is that the religion of secular humanism has been pushing aside the religion of Christianity upon which this nation was based, from which its ethics arose, and upon which its legislation was framed. So now today we have a dual foundation, and our legislators don’t know whether they are voting for laws based upon humanism or based upon this nation’s Christian foundation.
The humanists have done an amazing job in bringing this to pass. They have succeeded in passing into law many of their particular religious tenets and documents, such as abortion, gambling, free divorce, the freedom to have sex with any consenting person (no longer consenting adult), and many such things as that. You see, it is always some morality that is being legislated into law, and you will find that the person who is screaming the loudest, “You can’t legislate morality” is with his other hand busily engaged in promoting the legislation of his own morality into law behind your back. That is what has been happening in America today. The people who have been most active in legislating humanist morality into law have also been the most vocal in screaming that you can’t legislate morality. Do you begin to get some idea that a bit of a con game has been going on in our nation?
0 23 Read More
Love is not a rule, but a motive. chestnutmare Fri May 20, 2022 5:04 PM
Love is not a rule, but a motive. Love does not tell me what to do; it tells me how to do it. Love constrains me to do the will of the beloved one; but to know what the will is, I must go elsewhere. The law of our God is the will of the beloved one, and where that expression of his will withdrawn, love would be utterly in the dark; it would not know what to do. It might say, I love my Master, and I love his service, and I want to do his bidding, but I must know the rules of his house, that I may know how to serve him. Love without law to guide its impulses would be the parent of will-worship and confusion, as surely as terror and self-righteousness, unless upon the supposition of an inward miraculous illumination, as an equivalent for law. Love goes to the law to learn the divine will, and love delights in the law, as the exponent of that will; and he who says that a believing man has nothing more to do with law, save to shun it as an old enemy, might as well say that he has nothing to do with the will of God. For the divine law and the divine will are substantially one, the former the outward manifestation of the latter. And it is "the will of our Father which is in heaven" that we are to do Matt. 7:21; proving by loving obedience what is that "good and acceptable, and perfect will of God" (Rom. 12:2). Yes, it is he that doeth "the will of God that abideth forever" 1 John 2:17; it is to "the will of God" that we are to live 1 Peter 4:2; "made perfect in every good work to do his will" Heb. 13:21; and "fruitfulness in every good work," springs from being "filled with the knowledge of His will.

~ Horatius Bonar
0 29 Read More
Re: Travel jta Fri May 20, 2022 11:04 AM
We happen to be studying that very book in our Sunday School!
16 318 Read More
Principles of Conduct chestnutmare Thu May 19, 2022 5:08 PM
It is symptomatic of a pattern of thought current in many evangelical circles that the idea of keeping the commandments of God is not consonant with the liberty and spontaneity of the Christian man, that keeping the law has its affinities with legalism and with the principle of works rather than with the principle of grace. It is strange indeed that this kind of antipathy to the notion of keeping commandments should be entertained by any believer who is a serious student of the New Testament. Did not our Lord say, If ye love Me, ye will keep My commandments (John 14:15)? And did He not say, If ye keep My commandments, ye shall abide in My love, even as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in His love (John 15:10)? It was John who recorded these sayings of our Lord and it was he, of all the disciples, who was mindful of the Lord’s teaching and example regarding love, and reproduces that teaching so conspicuously in his first Epistle. We catch something of the tenderness of his entreaty when he writes, Little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue, but in deed and truth (1 John 3:18), Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God (1 John 4:7). But the message of John has escaped us if we have failed to note John’s emphasis upon the keeping of the commandments of God. And by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He that says, I know Him, and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoso keeps His word, in him verily the love of God is made perfect (I John 2:3-5). Beloved, if our heart does not condemn, we have confidence toward God, and whatsoever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are well-pleasing in His sight . . . And he who keeps His commandments abides in Him and He in him (1 John 3:21, 22, 24). For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments (1 John 5:3). If we are surprised to find this virtual identification of love to God and the keeping of His commandments, it is because we have overlooked the words of our Lord Himself which John had remembered and learned well: If ye keep My commandments, ye shall abide in my love (John 15:10) and He that hath My commandments and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me (John 14:21). To say the very least, the witness of our Lord and the testimony of John are to the effect that there is indispensable complementation; love will be operative in the keeping of God’s commandments. It is only myopia that prevents us from seeing this, and when there is a persistent animosity to the notion of keeping commandments the only conclusion is that there is either gross ignorance or malignant opposition to the testimony of Jesus.

~ John Murray
0 33 Read More
By nature too much inclined to what is evil chestnutmare Thu May 19, 2022 1:18 AM
For the Lord spoke thus to me with His strong hand upon me, and warned me not to walk in the way of this people, saying: Do not call conspiracy what this people call a conspiracy, and do not fear what they fear, nor be in dread. But the Lord of hosts, Him you shall honor as holy. Let Him be your fear, let Him be your dread. Isaiah 8:11–13

This taking hold of the hand is, therefore, highly necessary, because not only are we fickle and liable to unsteadiness, but we are also by nature too much inclined to what is evil, though no one entice us. But if the force of custom be added, we are scarcely master of ourselves. Undoubtedly, we would every moment be driven up and down, were it not that we are held by the powerful government of God, and fix the anchor of constancy in firm ground. Every one of us ought to meditate earnestly on this thought; for though we may be convinced, yet when it comes to the trial we fail, and look at men rather than God. We should, therefore, attend more carefully to this doctrine, and pray to God to hold us, not only by his word but by laying his hand on us. Besides, it ought to be observed that we are exceedingly disposed to wicked imitation. When we see bad examples, we are drawn to them with great force, and take the example for a law; for when others go before us, we think that we have a right to act in the same manner, and especially when it is not only one or a few persons who have led the way, but the custom has become universal. What is in itself manifestly wrong is concealed by the plausible cloak of public opinion; and not only so, but all are carried, as it were, by the violence of a whirlwind, to adopt an established custom, as if the will of the people had the force of a law to authorize their corruptions. This has not been the fault of a single age, but at the present day it abounds as much or even more than before; for it is an evil deeply seated in all by the corruption of nature, to reckon a prevailing error as a law.

~ John Calvin [Commentary Isaiah 8]
0 36 Read More
Quotes Jump to new posts
The teachable temper chestnutmare Wed May 18, 2022 10:36 AM
Unless the Spirit, by his powerful operations, works you into a serious and teachable temper, unless he drives home the attempts of God’s messengers, and gives them an efficacy far beyond their own, then the most concerning truths and weightiest arguments can never be presented and enforced so as to overcome your sensual, worldly inclinations; nor will these rescue you from the dominion of sin and Satan and bring you back to God.

~ Joseph Alleine (1634-1668)
0 25 Read More
Re: Recommendation in how to start reading the Puritans Pilgrim Tue May 17, 2022 7:30 PM
Originally Posted by Tom
Hope this does not sound like a silly question.

Shouldn’t John Owen be in that group?

Tom
Owen is most definitely one of the Puritans worth reading. HOWEVER, I rarely recommend him for those starting out. He is not only prolific but deep and thus difficult for many to read. Having said that, there is one book Owen wrote which most can read and enjoy with great benefit which I have on the website here: The Glory of Christ. BigThumbUp
4 205 Read More
Quotes Jump to new posts
Re: Sanctify them by Your Word chestnutmare Fri May 13, 2022 3:39 PM
The original adjective holy and the verb sanctify are derived from the same root. Hence by combining the two ideas one might translate: Holy Father make them holy in the truth. More fully stated, the verb here employed means to set apart from the world by actual sanctification of life, so that the heart and mind, in thought, words, and deeds, one begins to live more and more in accordance with the law of God. This sanctification can take place only if the entire personality is desirous of being governed by the truth; i.e., by God's redemptive revelation in Christ, as the ultimate standard of life and doctrine. The truth is embodied in Christ, in Him alone. He is the truth. However, the Word of the Father, which had been given to the disciples, must be the source of truth. It is wholly infallible. Without it, the work of sanctification is entirely impossible.

~ William Hendriksen [Commentary on Gospel of John]
1 86 Read More
Theology Discussion Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Original Sin Tom Fri May 13, 2022 3:43 AM
I like how you put this.

So would you say that contrary to what this person is saying.
Augustine did not have the same understanding of “Original Sin” that Roman Catholics today?

Tom
2 179 Read More
Quotes Jump to new posts
Re: The fault at the root of all our other faults chestnutmare Tue May 10, 2022 8:11 PM
But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ.

Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith—that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead. Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my goal, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.

Brothers and sisters, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:7-14
1 94 Read More
Quotes Jump to new posts
To be falsely condemned chestnutmare Sun May 08, 2022 11:39 AM
For while nothing is more painful to us than to be falsely condemned and to endure wrongful violence and slander for doing well, such affliction often daily befalls the saints. It becomes us to learn under such hardship to turn away from the enticements of the world and to depend wholly upon God.

~ John Calvin
0 49 Read More
Re: NASB Pilgrim Sun May 08, 2022 10:55 AM
From a Wikipedia article:

The Lockman Foundation published NASB text, modifications, and revisions in the following order:

Gospel of John (1960)
The Gospels (1962)
New Testament (1963)
Psalms (1968)
Complete Bible (Old Testament and New Testament; 1971)
Minor text modifications (1972, 1973, 1975)
Major text revisions (1977, 1995, 2020)

1995 revision
In 1992, the Lockman Foundation commissioned a limited revision of the NASB. In 1995, the Lockman Foundation reissued the NASB text as the NASB Updated Edition (more commonly, the Updated NASB or NASB95). Since then, it has become widely known as simply the "NASB", supplanting the 1977 text in current printings, save for a few (Thompson Chain Reference Bibles, Open Bibles, Key Word Study Bibles, et al.).

In the updated NASB, consideration was given to the latest available manuscripts with an emphasis on determining the best Greek text. Primarily, the 26th edition of Nestle-Aland's Novum Testamentum Graece is closely followed. The Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia is also employed together with the most recent information from lexicography, cognate languages, and the Dead Sea Scrolls.[14]

The updated NASB represents recommended revisions and refinements, and states that it incorporates thorough research based on current English usage.[15] Vocabulary, grammar, and sentence structure were meticulously revised for greater understanding and smoother reading, hence increasing clarity and readability.[15] Terms found in Elizabethan English such as "thy" and "thou" have been modernized, while verses with difficult word ordering are restructured. Punctuation and paragraphing have been formatted for modernization, and verbs with multiple meanings have been updated to better account for their contextual usage.[15]
3 267 Read More
Re: What Speaking the Truth In Love Is Not ATulipNotADaisy Sun May 08, 2022 12:55 AM
Excellent and very timely.
1 154 Read More
The sin of suppressing truth chestnutmare Sat May 07, 2022 12:52 PM
For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them. For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse (Rom.1:18-20)

I do not have to prove to you that God exists, because I think you already know it. Your problem is not that you do not know that God exists; your problem is that you despise the God whom you know exists. Your problem is not intellectual; it is moral— you hate God.

Every moment since the dawn of creation God has been manifesting Himself through the things that are made (v. 20). God did not give us a world and just say, “Sit down and begin to think about where that world came from and reason from the cosmos back to God.” We are to do that, but it is more than that. Every second, God is manifesting Himself through the things that are made so that His testimony to His nature is plainly evident.I am frequently asked, “What happens to the poor, innocent native in Africa who has never heard of Jesus?” That poor, innocent native in Africa goes straight to heaven when he dies. He has no need for a Savior. Jesus did not come in the world to save innocent people. There are no innocent natives in Africa or in Australia, South America, Europe, Asia, or anywhere else. People think that those who have not heard of Jesus are surely innocent, but Jesus came into a world already under the indictment of God the Father because it has rejected Him. We must disavow ourselves of the idea that there are innocent people anywhere. People also ask, “Will God send people to hell for rejecting Jesus, of whom they have never heard?” God is not going to punish someone for rejecting somebody he has never heard of, but their destination is hell for the rejection of the One they have heard of. Every human being knows of God and clearly perceives God but rejects that knowledge. For that, every person is exposed to the wrath of God. The only possible way someone can be rescued from that wrath is through the Savior.

Ungodliness and unrighteousness are vast generic terms that cover a multitude of sins, but Paul is not talking about a multitude of sins here. He has in view one particular sin. It is a universal sin, one committed by every human being. It is the sin that most clearly expresses our Adamic nature, our corruption and fallenness in the flesh. Paul does not leave us to guess at the nature of this sin; God is provoked to an orgy of anger against the sin of those who suppress the truth in unrighteousness (v. 18). The single sin that provokes God’s wrath against the whole human race is the sin of suppressing truth. The root of the Greek word translated “suppress” is katacain, which can also be translated as “to hinder,” “to stifle,” “to incarcerate,” “to put in detention,” “to obscure,” or “to repress.” We might think of a gigantic spring or coil that would require all the strength in our body to push down or compress. While we are pushing it down, it is resisting our strength and seeking to spring back up and recoil into its original position. By nature we take the truth of God and press it down. We force it into our subconscious, as it were, to get it out of our mind; yet, despite all the strength we use to suppress it, we simply cannot eradicate it. We cannot get rid of it because it is always and everywhere pushing back up. The specific sin here is the suppression of truth. What truth is being suppressed? Paul tells us: because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown it to them (v. 19). The truth that every human being suppresses is the truth of God, what God reveals of Himself in nature to the whole human race. This is not the truth of God that we learn through the Bible. We suppress that too, but here Paul is writing of a truth that is known about God apart from the Bible, a knowledge of God that God makes manifest. The Greek word is phoneros, which means “to show plainly.” We use the term phenomenon, which is derived from that Greek word. The Latin text translates it as manifestum. The knowledge God gives of Himself is not obscure. It is not buried with hidden clues that only an intellectual, elite group of people are able to discover after a painful and tedious search of sifting through the evidence. The truth God gives of Himself is manifest. It is clear— so plain that everybody gets it.

The agnostic portrays himself as a less militant form of atheist. The atheist boldly declares that there is no god, but the agnostic says, “I don’t know if there is a God. I’m agnosis; I am without sufficient knowledge to make a firm judgment on this matter.” (Incidentally, the Latin term for agnosis is ignoramus.) Agnostics think they are not as militant as atheists, but they do not realize that their agnosticism exposes them to greater risk for the wrath of God than if they were militant atheists. Not only do they refuse to acknowledge the God who reveals Himself plainly, but they blame God for their situation, saying He has not given them sufficient evidence.

~ R.C. Sproul [Romans - An Expositional Commentary]
0 76 Read More
How can God's will be known? chestnutmare Fri May 06, 2022 10:02 PM
How can God's will be known? Can we tell His requirements with certainty and exactness? Yes, said the Puritans, there is a way to harness our conscience to Holy Scriptures, in which the mind of God is revealed to us...But, it might be said, such a formula is unrealistic and empty. The Bible is a very old book, the product of a now-vanished culture. How can it throw light on the problems of life today? It can do so because the God who wrote it remains the same, and His thoughts about human life do not change. If we can learn to see what principles He was inculcating and applying to His recorded dealings with Israel and the early church and reapply them to our own situations, it will constitute the guidance we need. And it is to help us to do this the Holy Spirit has been given. Certainly, seeing the relevant principles and applying them correctly in each case in practice is an arduous task; ignorance of Scripture and misjudgment of situations constantly lead us astray, and to be humble enough to receive the Spirit's help is not easy either. But it remains true nonetheless that in principle Scripture provides clear and exact guidance for every detail and department of life, and if we come to Scripture teachable and expectantly God Himself will seal our minds and hearts a clear as to how we are to how we have to behave in each situation that faces us....Baxter said God has appointed means to cure blindness and error. Come into the light, with due self-suspicion, and impartiality and diligently use all God's means and avoid causes of deceit and error, and the light of truth will show you the truth.

~ J I Packer [A Quest For Godliness]
0 72 Read More
Re: News Site Question Tom Tue May 03, 2022 1:22 AM
Yes, I think you are correct I do not think it is much different in Canada. If it was not for the obvious lies that our western governments were feeding us through the leftist news media. Perhaps, I would not have given that link a second look. However, it seems pretty obvious that the west is not totally innocent. You always want to believe the worst about "big bad Russia"; but from what I am reading there is blame on both sides.
About a month ago, I was watching an interview of a leading politician in the Ukraine and she said, we are not just fighting for the Ukraine, we are fighting for the "New World Order'.

This is one of the terms that the "World Economic Forum" has been throwing around. Something that Canadian PM Justin Trudeau has been peddling for quite some time now.
Klaus Schwab wrote the manual for the World Economic Forum https://www.amazon.ca/COVID-19-Great-Reset-Klaus-Schwab/dp/2940631123

Tom
2 213 Read More
The “great exchange” chestnutmare Mon May 02, 2022 8:45 PM
In 2 Corinthians 5:17-21, Paul speaks of what has come to be known as the “great exchange”—our sins are imputed to Christ and Christ’s righteousness is imputed to us. According to Paul

If anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God. God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.

For Paul, to be in Christ is to participate even now in the new creation which dawns when God raised Jesus from the dead. Paul is crystal clear that the reconciliation of God to the sinner and the sinner to God is accomplished by Christ, for us, on our behalf. “God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself.” This is not something we can do through our own pitiful efforts to appease God or satisfy his justice. Our reconciliation comes about only because Christ has been made sin (through imputation) so that we become righteous (likewise, through imputation). This is exactly the same thing Paul teaches in Romans 5:18-19:

Consequently, just as the result of one trespass was condemnation for all men, so also the result of one act of righteousness was justification that brings life for all men. For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.

~ Kim Riddlebarger
0 72 Read More
Re: Is/will the USA follow Canada jta Mon May 02, 2022 12:03 PM
It's interesting that they chose exactly this time in history to decide to forcibly excise all the people of faith, integrity, and conviction from the armed forces of both nations.

What could possibly go wrong?
4 351 Read More
What's New on The Highway website? Jump to new posts
"This is My Comfort in My Affliction" - Thomas Manton Pilgrim Sun May 01, 2022 10:51 AM
Where do you turn when dark clouds come over you? Are your friends like those who brought their worldly 'wisdom' to Job? The author of Psalm 119 found that true comfort comes from the Word of God and God the word.

[Aside: Psalm 119 is exactly 176 Verses long because of Its poetic structure. Psalm 119 is in an alphabet acrostic. There are 22 stanzas or paragraphs in this Psalm, one for each of the 22 letters of the Hebrew alphabet in order. Each of the stanzas has 8 verses which also begin with the same letter.]

Thomas Manton gives us that which the author received in the Word of God so that we too can find that sure comfort in the Word of God for it and it alone is a living and efficacious word from the one true living God.

IN the former verse the man of God had complained of the delay of the promise, and that his hope was so long suspended; now in this verse he showeth what was his support, and did revive him during this delay and the sore afflictions which befell him in the meantime. The promise comforted him before performance came, ‘This is my comfort in my affliction, thy word hath quickened me.’

1. Observe here, the man of God had his afflictions; for we are not exempted from troubles, but comforted in troubles. God’s promise, and hope therein, may occasion us much trouble and persecution in the world. Yet—

2. This very promise which occasioneth the trouble is the ground of our support; for one great benefit which we have by the word is comfort against afflictions.

3. This comfort which we have by the word is the quickening and life of the soul. The life of our soul is first received by the word, and still maintained by the same word: James 1:18, ‘Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth;’ 1 Peter 1:23, ‘Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.’
You can read this article now by clicking here: This is My Comfort in My Affliction.

Or, you can read it at a more convenient time by going to The Highway website and clicking on the "Article of the Month" logo.

In His service and grace,
0 129 Read More
Quotes Jump to new posts
When, therefore, we follow our own inclination chestnutmare Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:26 PM
I will stand upon my watch, and set me upon the tower, and will watch to see what He will say unto me, and what I shall answer when I am reproved. Hab. 2:1

When, therefore, we follow our own inclination, various temptations immediately lay hold on us; nor can we even for a moment exercise hope in God: and many things are also suggested to us, which take away and deprive us of all confidence: we become also involved in a variety of thoughts, for when Satan finds men wandering in their imaginations and blending many things together, he so entangles them that they cannot by any means come nigh to God...

…if we contend with Satan, according to our own view of things, he will a hundred times overwhelm us, and we can never be able to resist him. Let us therefore know, that here is shown to us the right way of fighting with him, when our minds are agitated with unbelief when doubts respecting God's providence creep in when things are so confused in this world as to involve us in darkness so that no light appears: we must bid adieu to our own reason; for all our thoughts are worth nothing, when we seek, according to our own reason, to form a judgment.

~ John Calvin
0 66 Read More
Re: Maternity Leave Tom Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:31 AM
It would not surprise me that because it is part of the LBGQT+ agenda, that they would get more perks than actual women wanting maternity leave.

Tom
7 552 Read More
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 70 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Cliniql, John E, ManassehAmerican, jta, DiscipleEddie
969 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,341,940 Gospel truth