Donations for the month of October

We have received a total of "$50" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,608
Posts54,197
Members973
Most Online523
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,283
Tom 4,279
chestnutmare 3,234
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,847
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Pilgrim 17
Tom 12
Nahum 10
John_C 5
jta 1
Recent Posts
Lucifer
by jta - Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:06 PM
Pasture-Land
by Pilgrim - Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:31 AM
Biblical Worship: In Spirit and in Truth by A.G. Brown
by Pilgrim - Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:38 AM
Eph. 2:8-9 question
by Pilgrim - Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:28 PM
A Hymn of Worship
by Pilgrim - Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:45 AM
The Doctrines of Grace
by Tom - Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:29 AM
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Open Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Lucifer jta Yesterday at 11:06 PM
Strong's suggests a possible literal translation of "shining son of light" in which case Jerome was not far off the mark.
1 33 Read More
Devotional Jump to new posts
Re: Pasture-Land Pilgrim Yesterday at 11:31 AM
Thank you for sharing this.

Psalms 19:7-11 (KJV) 7 The law of the LORD [is] perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD [is] sure, making wise the simple. 8 The statutes of the LORD [are] right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD [is] pure, enlightening the eyes. 9 The fear of the LORD [is] clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD [are] true [and] righteous altogether. 10 More to be desired [are they] than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb. 11 Moreover by them is thy servant warned: [and] in keeping of them [there is] great reward.
1 51 Read More
What's New on The Highway website? Jump to new posts
Biblical Worship: In Spirit and in Truth by A.G. Brown Pilgrim Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:38 AM
Although this sermon was delivered back in 1891, it is more than relevant today. Yes, Solomon was certainly correct and stated an incontrovertible truth by the Spirit of God: "The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun." (Eccl. 1:9) The author, Archibald G. Brown who sometimes substituted for Charles Spurgeon at the Metropolitan Tabernacle, begins his sermon thusly:

We shall only dwell on the one word “worship”. I can almost imagine that I hear someone saying, “Only one word? Will you be able, preacher, to fill up the allotted time from so small a text?” True, it is only one word, but then it is such a word that we need have no fear of exhausting its teaching, did we preach until midnight. The only dread we have is lest the greatness of the word should altogether overwhelm us, for an ocean depth lies in this single word.

“Worship”. Seven letters spell it, but seven millenniums will never exhaust its meaning. “Worship”. Oh, it is a sanctuary word. As the tabernacle of old among the tents of Israel, so is this word “worship” in earth’s vocabulary. It will be a delightful occupation if, this morning, we can walk round about it; but yet shall we not be satisfied, for, as the tabernacle of old could never be comprehended by an outside view, there being but the badger skin covering to be seen, so merely walking round about the word “worship” will never discover to us all its exquisite loveliness. To understand worship you must worship. To enter into its meaning you must enter into its reality May the Spirit of truth promised of our Lord, the Spirit which guides into all the truth, guide us into the truth concerning worship this morning.

Enjoy!! [Linked Image]

Read this article now by clicking here: Biblical Worship: In Spirit and in Truth

For later reading, visit The Highway website and click on the "Article of the Month" logo.

As always, you may discuss the contents of this article here on the board. BigThumbUp

In His service and grace,
0 57 Read More
Theology Discussion Forum Jump to new posts
Re: Eph. 2:8-9 question Pilgrim Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:28 PM
This person's Greek grammar is faulty!!!

CONTEXT as always is important; both near and far. Look at 2:5 "even when we were dead through our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace have ye been saved)". As stated in v.5 "by this grace (by it alone, the article to indicate the very grace just mentioned) have you been saved," aetc. This repetition is emphatic: the past act of rescue plus the resultant condition of safety (periphrastic perfect) is entirely due to God (the agent in the passive) and to the grace He used as His means. The emphasis again is upon the dative. But now Paul expands the statement by adding "by means of (or through) faith," living trust in Christ and all His redemptive work. God accomplishes His purpose of delivering the Ephesians when by the power of His grace and the means of this grace (the Word) He kindled faith in their hearts. Faith is not something that we on our part produce and furnish toward our salvation but is produced in our hearts by God (regeneration by the Spirit) to accomplish His purpose in us.

Col. 2:12 states this directly: "through the faith of the operation of God." One often meets careless statements such as: "Grace is God's part, faith ours." Now the simple fact is that even in human relations faith and confidence are produced in us by others, by what they are and what they do; we never produce it ourselves. There is no self-produced faith; faith is wrought in us. Saving faith is wrought by the saving grace of God.

All is of God and so important is this matter that Paul adds explanatory specifications: "and this (is) not from yourselves." The neuter touto does not refer to pistis (faith) or to xaris (grace), both of which are feminine, but to the divine act of saving us: this that you have been saved Paul denies categorically that this is in any manner due to the Ephesians themselves. The source and origin ('ek) is not in you; it is wholly and only in God. As little as a dead man can do the least toward making himself alive, so little can the spiritually dead contribute the least toward obtaining spiritual life. Without a connective or een a copula Paul introduces the opposite: "God's the gift!" His and His alone. The emphasis is on the genitive. "The gift" (definite) = the salvation He has given to you. Salvation is of the Lord (Jonah 2:9).
4 365 Read More
A Hymn of Worship Pilgrim Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:45 AM
Worship is the captive will,
Hidden deep in Him;
Nothing in our hearts but love:
These filled to the brim.
Hearts that bow before the Lord
Lost in loving gaze,
Viewing what a love He gave,
Filled with holy praise;
Looking at His lovely form
With an eye of faith,
Thinking nought of world and self,
Only what He saith;

Resting in the arms of Him
Who o'er all hath sway,
Willing He should take our wills,
Make them will His way.
Counting self as nothing worth,
Jesus Christ as all;
Losing our whole self in Him,
Caught in love's sweet thrall.
Worship lies in bended wills
Rather than bent knees.
The secret of a life of praise
Is Jesus Christ to please.
0 82 Read More
Re: The Doctrines of Grace Tom Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:29 AM
Sorry Pilgrim
I have another motive for asking that question.

It actually is not that I do not know the answer.
In fact I gave the answer many times over the years.

Rather, I did not want to prejudice the response.
I failed miserably at that.

I was hoping someone could add something I did not think of.

Hope that does not sound too strange.

Tom
2 246 Read More
Re: One Year from Today! Pilgrim Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:34 AM
And if/when your prediction does not come to pass, then you are worthy of being stoned to death. That's a hard way to learn a most necessary lesson... don't you think? scratchchin
1 197 Read More
Exotic Here—At Home There NetChaplain Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:48 PM
There is nothing greater than for one being used by the Father in all that He has him to do! His care for us causes us to “desire and do His good pleasure” (Phl 2:13), which keeps us from ever again desiring the way of sin and condemnation. He knows what the exact amount of difficulty we can endure, because He has prepared us for it, and “makes a way to escape, that you may be able to bear it” (1Co 10:13). Everything our Father does to groom us for trials is out of love. There is nothing He does to punish us, because it’s all within His school of learning; for “Whom the Lord loves He chastens, and scourges every son (or daughter) whom He receives” (Heb 12:6).
NC

Exotic Here—At Home There

When we consider that each of us is a plant of the Lord, and not one like another as to leaf or flower, the plantation is most interesting. Though there is no similarity in the circumstances or in the duties of any one, yet the health and vigor of each is hindered or promoted by the condition of any of the rest, for we are members on of another.

You are a plant of the Lord (Isa 61:3), set by Him in His plantation on earth, to have a certain leaf and blossom and fruit. He knows just where He has set you, and He takes into account all the adverse influences which bear upon you. He put the plant where it can best set forth the beauty which He has given it, which is His own. He knows that amount of frost and wind and sun which is needful for the most advantageous development.

We in the new life are exotics (not native to the place where found—NC), but we are placed in circumstances the best suited for us to grow, to neutralize the adverse influences of the old man to which we are so susceptible (vulnerable – I believe “the old man” is Satan’s first line of offense; as the Spirit uses the “new man,” so the enemy uses our old man—NC). As a plant of the Lord you are an exotic, and there is no other plant like you (similar but never exact—NC). The Father has only one specimen of each. But while this is so, and this new plant is not in its own climate and home, and your old man is at home here, and is fostered and promoted according as it uses and enjoys the things here; yet the circumstances you are placed in are the most favorable and the best adapted for your particular spiritual growth.

For the plant there is really nothing here, everything hinders it (opposes it—NC). Yet the place and trials which form your particular circumstances, however painful, are the most suited to promote growth, because the Father knows the only spot in His plantation where you can or could grow according to His intention, and places you there. I think it is a great thing to be assured that I am not only a peculiar plant but that I am planted in a peculiar spot; and if I do not express the virtues and qualities of the exotic here, then I could do so less in any other circumstance.

Ill health, for instance, is a very rough wind; but this the Gardener sees necessary, in order to remove some of the vapors which would hang about the valley of the old man, and thus retard and obscure the expressions of the exotic. But there is another good from rough winds, even—that the plant, according to its vitality, really increases in strength on the very side on which it is most assailed (via exercise of resistance—NC).

You will see at once that there must be concert with the wind—the trial and pressure of circumstances, all to break down the influence of the old man. The wind is the cannon to make the breach, but then the soldier, sword in hand, enters it and is victor. When any breach is made, then self-denial is necessary to turn to good account that which God has effected by chastening. There are the rough winds and the frost without; and there is the energy of the Spirit within, seeking to claim for Christ the place where the old man had controlled (the “dominion” of the old man was in the ability to cause us to desire sin, but no longer—NC).

Thus, whatever our circumstances may be, dark or bright, they are really the most favorable and the most adapted for our growth and this is an immense comfort. If they be sorrowful circumstances which break down the old man, the field is claimed by the Spirit (Gal 5:17—NC). If bright ones, seductive to the old man, as Egypt to Moses, they are to be surrendered, that the Lord Jesus Christ may be the full joy of the heart.

—JB Stoney

MJS daily devotional excerpt for Sep 22

"Humility is quietness of heart. It is to have no trouble. It is never to be fretted or irritated or disappointed. It is to expect nothing, to wonder at nothing that is done to me. It is to be at rest when nobody praises me and when I am blamed or despised. It is to have my blessed home in the Lord Jesus, where I can go in and shut the door and be with my Father in secret, and be at peace when all outside is trouble."
-Andrew Murry (1828-1917)
http://www.abideabove.com/hungry-heart/
0 88 Read More
Re: Donald Trump and Prophecy Nahum Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:54 AM
Hello tom, based on your comment, I think perhaps you basically missed my whole point(s). At least that is how it appears from my perspective, but perhaps you will have opportunity to re-read and to consider the discussion afresh, if you so desire. I already spoke concerning my agreement in some things, with all of the eschatological camps among the orthodox, so you are welcome to make up a list of such names if you have the leisure and the interest. Then you could even provide quotes from any of those in your list who have written books, and you are welcome to ask me which parts I agree or disagree with if you like (I will try to answer if I am able).

If Pilgrim is allowed to differ with some of those being found even within a narrower Amillennial camp (which I have no problem with, perhaps he has well thought out reasons for his positions which he could convince me of), I think I also should be allowed some room for reason and for conscience amongst my even broader scope of agreement within the pale of eschatological orthodoxy. If I need to obtain a permit for this sort of thing, perhaps you could point me in the right direction so I can consult with those who issue such permits. But (speaking with all seriousness again) if I say anything which is clearly contrary to Scripture, you (or Pilgrim, or others) are welcome to help me see where I’ve gone wrong in any of the particulars. And in that regard, I would like to speak concerning something which you said:

“If we find ourselves with a novel understanding of a Scripture passage or doctrine that the Church never had before. We should suspect we have a wrong understanding of the issue; not them.”

I think this statement has just enough truth in it to make it sometimes rather dangerous (or at least potentially so). A whole multitude might unite to crucify Christ, or to excommunicate and anathematize Martin Luther (and the whole of the Reformation) upon this sort of supposition. And to this very day, the multitude of Judaism still yet claims that the teachings of Christ were “novel,” and that of Rome still yet claims the same concerning the teachings of the Reformation. But things being truly Scriptural are never actually novel -in one sense, although, in another sense they may be “new” (I will try to explain what I mean by this later).

In the eyes of Rome, it seemed very obviously a demonstration of the height of pride in Martin Luther, for him to “stand alone” (merely upon the testimony of Scripture) in his faithful testimony for Christ, and against the pope and his multitude. In God’s eyes however, this “little horn with eyes” is actually himself the height of all human pride (it being the pope together with his spiritual generation -regardless of their church affiliation- like spiritual head and body; for in this way Antichrist counterfeits Christ and his mystical body). Such is the generation which sits in God’s temple making himself to be God, exalting himself even to heaven by means of this mystery tower of Babel, while he feasts himself upon the wrong tree and thus finds his eyes “opened” to become like God in a “knowledge” of good and evil. This is that generation that would keep the saints under such a condition (whether of sleepiness, “morbid introspection,” or some other state of oblivion as concerning their situational surroundings) as would seem to serve best that they might not be apprehended and have their own evils testified against. But in getting back to my point about the testimony of Scripture as it relates to that of the Church, perhaps the following sentiments will prove helpful:

“The supreme judge by which all controversies of religion are to be determined, and all decrees of councils, opinions of ancient writers, doctrines of men, and private spirits, are to be examined; and in whose sentence we are to rest; can be no other but the Holy Spirit speaking in the Scripture.” WCF 1:10

I am afraid perhaps there is much evidence in our day that the wounded head of the papacy has more than been healed, especially when the first resort even among Protestants would seem to have become a sense of security in the opinions of men, rather than God speaking in Scripture itself. I say this, not as one who is attempting to overthrow any of the foundational doctrines of Christianity (as so many are these days), nor as one attempting to nullify anything pertaining to Christian orthodoxy. And I think this was evident from my previous posts where I declared my own agreement with so many more among the orthodox than those being found merely within one eschatological camp.

And therefore, I do in fact receive the witness of very many faithful men, but yet I would do so only in a way which is in full accord with this greater witness:

“If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater…” 1 Jn. 5:9

Is my position really “novel” then? …Insofar as it can actually be found in its various parts among the opinions and positions of the saints throughout history, it is certainly not new. But as I already intimated in my earlier posts, Scripture actually requires a seemingly “new” understanding which comes along with the unfolding and accomplishment of Scripture prophecy. And there is nothing new about this! What should we expect then, when we are explicitly told in Scripture that many things have been “sealed up” until the time of the end? A failure to recognize this characteristic of prophecy and it’s unfolding, was a major ingredient that led to the multitude’s rejection of, and their stumbling over Christ at his first coming, and it would appear that the professing “church” today is right back at square one in this regard, -ready to be taken in that “snare” which we are warned the dark day of the Lord would come as. So, in a conservative or properly limited and qualified sense, I have no problem acknowledging that there is very likely, in part, something seemingly new in my own eschatological position, as there should be whenever appropriate:

“So shall it be at the end of the world: the angels shall come forth, and sever the wicked from among the just, And shall cast them into the furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth. Jesus saith unto them, Have ye understood all these things? They say unto him, Yea, Lord. Then said he unto them, Therefore every scribe which is instructed unto the kingdom of heaven is like unto a man that is an householder, which bringeth forth out of his treasure things new and old.” Mt. 13:49-52

Looking for an adequate description of the loosing of Satan as coming from those who lived before the event is sort of like looking to those who have spent the entirety of their days within the state of Arkansas to find the best description of Japan. Looking to those living under the loosing of Satan (especially those within the “Church”) for its description, is a bit like looking to the romish priests and nuns to find out how the corpses of all of those babies ended up under their church floor. But the saints themselves can look to God and to his Word in the midst of such perils, and can rightly expect him to teach them what they should know when no others can or will explain it.

“And he causeth all [not all absolutely, but nevertheless, the vast majority of men], both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.” Rev. 13:16-17

We should remember that there are only two witnesses (a very small remnant) left in the entirety of the “great city” once it has become fully ripe for destruction:

“And their dead bodies [speaking of the two witnesses] shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.” Rev. 11:8

Don’t expect a major widespread testimony to the truth, therefore, under such circumstances (especially when so many of the true saints are sound asleep). And where is this “city where our Lord was crucified” in these last days, if not simply a reference to the visible Church apostatized, and as it has been given to the Gentiles that they might tread it underfoot! -Rev. 11:2

When I acknowledge whatever is “seemingly new” about my position, I mean this according to what Isaiah tells us regarding such days as when Babylon would be ripe for destruction, and when the believing remnant is required to make their exodus. There is nothing “new” here in terms of Inspiration and Special Revelation, but rather a new understanding of various Scripture things which formerly had not been anticipated or well understood by the saints:

“I will bring the blind by a way that they knew not [i.e., a way being new to them]; I will lead them in paths that they have not known: I will make darkness light before them, and crooked things straight. These things will I do unto them, and not forsake them… Who is blind, but my servant? or deaf, as my messenger that I sent? who is blind as he that is perfect, and blind as the LORD’s servant? Seeing many things, but thou observest not [i.e., as seeing without visual perception]… But this is a people robbed and spoiled; they are all of them snared in holes, and they are hid in prison houses: they are for a prey, and none delivereth; for a spoil, and none saith, Restore. Who among you will give ear to this? who will hearken and hear for the time to come?” [i.e., for these last days] Is. 42:16, 18-20, 22-23

“Fear not: for I am with thee: I will bring thy seed from the east, and gather thee from the west; I will say to the north, Give up; and to the south, Keep not back: bring my sons from far, and my daughters from the ends of the earth [see Mt. 24:31]; Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him. Bring forth the blind people that have eyes [concerning these “blind having (non-seeing) eyes,” see Zech. 3 (esp. vs. 9) with Rev. 1:12-14 and 5:6], and the deaf that have ears. Let all the nations be gathered together, and let the people be assembled [these gathered ones I take to be a reference to the spiritual armies of Gog and Magog coming against the saints]: who among them can declare this, and shew us former things? let them bring forth their witnesses, that they may be justified: or let them hear, and say, It is truth. Ye are my witnesses [perhaps even a reference to the “two witnesses”], saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me… Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.” Is. 43:5-10, 18-19

“HEAR ye this, O house of Jacob, which are called by the name of Israel, and are come forth out of the waters of Judah [a believing remnant coming out from that last remnant of the visible church, being now apostatized -even as the house of Judah was last in Israel’s apostasy. “Waters” would seem to have reference to the peoples (as in Rev. 17:1 & 15), so that it would appear that a solitary remnant is said here to come out from among the assemblies of the people…], which swear by the name of the LORD, and make mention of the God of Israel, but not in truth, nor in righteousness. For they call themselves of the holy city, and stay themselves upon the God of Israel; The LORD of hosts is his name. I have declared the former things from the beginning; and they went forth out of my mouth, and I shewed them; I did them suddenly, and they came to pass. Because I knew that thou art obstinate, and thy neck is an iron sinew, and thy brow brass; I have even from the beginning declared it to thee; before it came to pass I shewed it thee: lest thou shouldest say, Mine idol hath done them, and my graven image, and my molten image, hath commanded them. Thou hast heard, see all this; and will not ye declare it? I have shewed thee new things from this time, even hidden things, and thou didst not know them. They are created now, and not from the beginning; even before the day when thou heardest them not; lest thou shouldest say, Behold, I knew them. Yea, thou heardest not; yea, thou knewest not; yea, from that time that thine ear was not opened: for I knew that thou wouldest deal very treacherously, and wast called a transgressor from the womb. For my name’s sake will I defer mine anger, and for my praise will I refrain for thee, that I cut thee not off. Behold, I have refined thee, but not with silver; I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction [so, to me, all of these things are painful matters much more than they are fascinating musings]. For mine own sake, even for mine own sake, will I do it: for how should my name be polluted? and I will not give my glory unto another…

All ye, assemble yourselves, and hear; which among them hath declared these things? The LORD hath loved him: he will do his pleasure on Babylon, and his arm shall be on the Chaldeans. I, even I, have spoken; yea, I have called him: I have brought him, and he shall make his way prosperous…

Go ye forth of Babylon, flee ye from the Chaldeans, with a voice of singing declare ye, tell this, utter it even to the end of the earth; say ye, The LORD hath redeemed his servant Jacob. And they thirsted not when he led them through the deserts: he caused the waters to flow out of the rock for them: he clave the rock also, and the waters gushed out. There is no peace, saith the LORD, unto the wicked.” Is. 48:1-11, 14-15, 20-22 (see the rest of the broader context, which was not included here for brevity.)

Prophecies such as these, concerning the time of Babylon’s destruction, are applicable to inform concerning the end of latter-day “Babylon,” which was spoken of by John as well, in Revelation. According to the prophet Daniel (even though literal Babylon was to be destroyed long ago), this pagan and Antichristian system is all essentially one and the same great city stretching from his own day until the time of its destruction in the end of these latter days. (See Dn. 2:31-45 as compared with Dn. 7, esp. vss. 9-14 and 19-27.)

My own opinion is that the question which I was asked (however salient a point might have been involved, or however good a question it might be whenever asked as with reference to many other things) is altogether inadequate and is not properly answerable to the reality of all of these truths which we have just now considered. However, this is not the same thing as to conclude that it was asked with a bad motive (which really is not mine to judge), even if it was perhaps not so much a question as it was intended to make a point.

I hope this further clarifies where I am coming from. Thank you for reading.
15 6,154 Read More
The Covenant of Redemption NetChaplain Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:17 PM
Is the Covenant of Redemption a thing! Yes, and God is a bit mysterious concerning this one, for it is the one that is for those, whom, created after His image, are also after His “good pleasure” (Phl 2:13). These are they who are more precious to God than the angels; for man is the sole being who is after the image of God!

The present covenant of which the Christian is a recipient is a Covenant between the Father and His Son, in that the Father sacrificed the Son and raised Him from the dead after expiating the sins of the Christian (Heb 13:20, 21; Act 2:24, 32; 3:15; 4:10; 5:30; 10:40, 41; 13:30; 17:31; Rom 1:4; 4:24; 25; 8:11; 1Co 6:14, 15; 2Co 4:14; Gal 1:1; Eph 1:20; Col 2:12; 1Th 1:10; 1Pe 1:21).

In every covenant there is a benefactor and a beneficiary. If you’re in a covenant with God, He is the Benefactor, and you are the beneficiary; and you must be morally good to receive blessing; and not having a new nature presents the possibility of one returning to the “old man.” Being recipients of the Covenant between the Father and the Son we, by the Spirit using the new nature, are made to be good, so that there is no possible chance of returning to the “old man” (Phl 2:13). In the present Covenant the Benefactors are the Father and the Son, and the beneficiaries are the Christians!

We see the covenant language between God and Abraham, Isaac and Jacob (Lev 26:42), but there is no such language concerning the covenant with Christians. Just, "This is My body which is given for you," and "This cup is the new testament in My blood, which is shed for you" (Luk 22:19, 20); and that's all that’s necessary! No covenant between God and Christians, for He desired believers to be assured of desiring and doing His good pleasure.

There will be a New Covenant between God and the Israelites who “believe in God” (Jn 14:1) during the Millennium, after they finally see the Lord Jesus (Jer 31:31 Eze 36:24-28). I say finally, because “Jews require a sign” (Jhn 2:18; 1Co 1:22); and because Israel will not “believe” until they see Him, they forfeit the “blessing” of being in the Son-ship of Christ (Jn 20:29). Thus, they will remain a “people of God” (Heb 8:10); and Christians will be a people of God—but also sons and daughters of God, and “kings and priests” (Rev 21:3; 1:6; 5:10).

Note: I realize this is not plainly taught in Scripture, thus it is an inference; but it is a doctrine that I believe is not just theory but true, and I find it to be the most encouraging of all doctrines, it being the primary reason for creation.
0 100 Read More
Quotes Jump to new posts
Cold must our hearts be ~ J.C. Ryle Rick Bates Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:00 PM
Surely that man must be in an unhealthy state of soul, who can think of all that Jesus suffered — and yet love those sins for which that suffering was undergone!

It was sin which wove the crown of thorns!

It was sin which pierced our Lord's hands and feet and side!

It was sin which brought Him to Gethsemane and Calvary, to the cross and to the grave! Cold must our hearts be, if we do not hate sin and labor to get rid of it — though we may have to cut off the right hand and pluck out the right eye in doing it!
0 80 Read More
When I Survey the Wondrous Cross ~ Isaac Watts Rick Bates Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:00 PM
When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of glory died,
My richest gain I count but loss,
And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

See from His head, His hands, His feet,
Sorrow and love flow mingled down!
Did e’er such love and sorrow meet,
Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

Were the whole realm of nature mine,
That were a present far too small;
Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.
0 96 Read More
Pride ~ J.C. Ryle Rick Bates Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:08 AM
Pride is the besetting sin of all natural men, and it comes out in a hundred different ways. It was pride by which the angels fell and became devils. It is pride which brings many a sinner to the pit—he knows he is in the wrong about religion—but he is too proud to bend his neck and act up to what he knows. It is pride which may always be seen about false professors: they are always saying—We are the men, and we are alone in the right, and ours is the sure way to heaven; and by-and-by they fall and go to their own place and are heard no more of. But he who is born again is clothed with humility; he has a very child-like and contrite and broken spirit; he has a deep sense of his own weakness and sinfulness, and great fear of a fall. You never hear him professing confidence in himself and boasting of his own attainments—he is far more ready to doubt about his own salvation altogether and call himself "chief of sinners." He has no time to find fault with others—or be a busybody about his neighbors. It is enough for him to keep up with the conflict of his own deceitful heart, the old Adam within. No enemy so bitter to him as his own inbred corruption.

Whenever I see a man passing his time in picking holes in other Churches, and talking about everyone's soul except his own, I always feel in my own mind, "There is no work of the Spirit there." And it is just this humility and sense of weakness which makes God's children men of prayer. They feel their own needs and their danger, and they are constrained to go continually with supplication to Him who has given them the Spirit of adoption, crying, Abba Father, help us and deliver us from evil.
0 101 Read More
Re: Reformed Baptists differ from Covenant theology Tom Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:31 PM
Pilgrim
Though there are differences of opinion within Reformed Baptists, generally speaking Reformed Baptists generally differ from those who hold to the WCF on the subject of what CT entails.

Also for the most part those of the 1689 LBCF (namely 1689 Federalists) variety have really no problem using the word “sacraments” when referring to baptism and the Lord’s supper. As opposed to the ordinance.
They generally however, do so while trying to separate what they mean from Roman Catholics use of the term “sacraments”. Yes, in doing so, they have received the ire of some other Baptists.

I am a bit long winded at explaining these kinds of things; so I have provide a few links.
I do not want this (at least for me) to get into a debate. So I give these links for information only.

However, if you believe they are not appropriate on this forum, by all means remove them.

https://credomag.com/2014/05/the-lords-supper-a-means-of-grace-richard-c-barcellos/?amp

https://www.1689federalism.com/portfolio/1689-v-wcf/

Tom
2 321 Read More
Cremation Tom Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:45 PM
I know the topic of cremation has been discussed before on cremation.
I for one do not want to be cremated.

However, in talking to many others of Reformed persuasion, they seem to disagree.

For example:
Tom Hardy Tom, you know God is sovereign, He also rules in providence. He cause what He wants to happen and allows what He'll allow to happen. Nothing is outside His control. a) He allowed Jonathon to be cremated and he was a godly man and the closest friend to David whom God's word says was a man after His own heart. b) God's word did not give a requirement for buriel but he sure did give a massive about of all types of requirements in the OT. Yet again, there is no requirement on mode od buriel. c) There are more poor Christians in the world striving to be under a roof, have enough food, be clothed. Just because pagans are known for creamating the dead doesn't mean on top of no requirement by God that we as a result need to pay for expensive burials. 4) The money saved can not only help families in financial difficulty already but the extra funds saved to use foe thr glory of Gkd as we are to He a good steward for him. Christians with extra money saved can give more to those in the minsotry allocating money where God leads them to, to help so many. People can buy more Gospel tracts to hand out as a way to also testify that way of repentance toward God and faith in our Lord Jesus Christ lost sinners so desperately needs. That's enough points for now other than one more which MacArthur made clear of which Christians should all be in agreement with, and it's worth repeating:

What we need to focus on as Christians is not how to dispose of our earthly bodies, but that one day new bodies will be fashioned for us like our Lord's glorious resurrection body (see Phil. 3:21; cf. Luke 24:30-40; John 20:19, 26; 21:1-14; and Acts 1:1-9 to get an idea of what to look forward to). That transformation will be eternal!

I am curious on how you would respond to this argument, if at all.

Tom
0 107 Read More
Death’s Deliverance NetChaplain Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:18 PM
It has been well said that “the lost need saved, and the saved need delivered;” that is, from our trials! Also that, “the Blood procures pardon from sin; and the Cross procures power over sin.” The power over sin involves the restraint of “the old man” by remaining “crucified” (“is crucified” Rom 6:6). This disallows its “dominion” (v 14) over the saved (which is a promise), in that it cannot cause us to sin “willingly” (Heb 10:26).

Also be it known that the act of “crucifying” is not carried out by the believer but has been established by the Lord’s crucifixion in us (Gal 2:20). Thus, “they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh” (have had the sin nature crucified - Gal 5:24) intends that the sinful nature of our being has been crucified by Christ, which will be progressively manifested in our acts and “conversations.” Same for the “mortifying of your members” (Col 3:5), in which believers have not the power to perform, but is only accomplished “through the Spirit” (Rom 8:13).
-NC

Death’s Deliverance

How constant Israel’s desire for Egypt’s food! With every difficulty in the way, whenever their soul was discouraged, there was always coupled with it regret for leaving Egypt. This is the sure fruit of the flesh (sin nature—NC), for which no sacrifice nor ordinance has ever been given to meet its deep evil. Transgression, various defilements along the way, all provided for; blood for transgressions, ashes to be sprinkled with running water for the defiled. But nature, the flesh, the root of sin of all, has not yet been the object of any ordinance.

The flesh has broken out now in its worst form (it’s always its worst, most decadent—NC). It is an evil that admits no remedy, it must be destroyed. Sprinkling with ashes of the red heifer, or even blood, does not meet the evil. A pure thing may be defiled and then cleansed, but death is the only thing for the old man. Wash it as you may, it is still flesh, and must be put “off” in death.

This old man cannot be improved, and may be covered to a certain extent by a decent exterior; but there it is, as vile as ever under the covering. To cover is man’s remedy for the evil he knows; it is the religion of the world in its best form. But the Father would not have His saints go through the world, as it were under false pretenses, but teaches us to count it dead, on the ground of our old man crucified with Christ; and, when we take His Word simply and truthfully, He supplies the needed enablement to live in accordance with the standing given to faith working experience in us.

How suited to the truth is the manner of teaching! Sin, tainted nature, nature as it is now in man, is sin. There cannot be greater condemnation of man. Murmuring against God is but the complement of loathing His bread. In judgment the Israelites are bitten by fiery serpents and dying. Fitting symbol of the venom of the old serpent who instilled his poison into the heart and nature of Adam in the garden; which made him not a mere transgressor of a known command, but changed his whole being morally before God.

Adam truly became another man. Death inevitably followed, and the whole world consequently bears its impress. “Sin entered into the world and death by sin.” The connection between sin and death has never been dissolved. If man be sin, how is death to be severed from the believer: Not the blood in the great Day of Atonement, nor the ashes of the heifer; for the one puts away the sins of the flesh, the other cleansed the pilgrim from defilement contracted by the way. But “the flesh”—the old man—remains unchanged, and the righteousness of God demands that flesh should die (eventually annihilated—NC).

How then is a believer saved? To meet this righteous necessity Christ was made to be sin and died, and thus becomes our deliverance from it and its power. “Who shall deliver me from the body of this death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord.” The believer knows no other way of deliverance than death. It is surely by the death of Christ unto sin, but it must be morally as well as judicially accomplished. Sin and death are never severed. It is a wondrous way in which God maintains His Word, and instead of being mere judgment, it becomes one of our greatest blessings.

But being God’s way, it must therefore be the way of faith to us. “Reckon yourselves to be dead unto sin” (our reckoning doesn’t make it so but provides for a conscience walk in it—NC). Look at Him who was made sin on the Cross, fully answering for sinful flesh (sinful flesh, e.g. not the body but the nature; the body is never made sin but is used to sin—NC); then in power of that look turn to the old man and with Job after he had seen God, say, “Wherefore I hate and abhor myself” (old self; old man; sinful nature; that which is still in the first Adam opposing the believer—NC). As truly as death is the result of sin, so also is life eternal, life beyond the reach of death, and blessed effect of looking at the Lord Jesus Christ made sin for us. God’s judgement joined death to sin, His grace has joined life to the look of faith.

The manner of Israel’s healing is the foreshadowing of this (Act 2:25; Rom 3:25; Heb 9:15-22—NC). Then it was simply to look at a serpent upon a pole. A look in itself had been nothing; but God now joined healing and life to it; therefore to look is everything. What a lesson of faith is here! All is referred to the power and grace of God of Him Who said, that “every one that is bitten when he looked upon it shall live” (Num 21:8). Blessed testimony of the efficacy of faith and of Christ, Who, lifted up like the brazen serpent, had said “that whosoever believes on Him should not perish but have everlasting life” (Jhn 3:16).

Here is a type of Christ, not simply of blood, but of death. It is a question of sin in the flesh (the sinful nature in the soul—NC), not of sins by the activity of the flesh. Blood purges, purges the conscience, but purges us from our sins (not take away the sin nature but knowing we’re never guilty—NC). The flesh, the old man, is never purged, but only condemned. “God sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh” (“by the flesh” for there is not sin in the body, it being an object - Rom 8:3). This is not a process in the soul always going on; but it is made experientially true in our growth (“once for all” established - Heb 10:10). The old man has been crucified with Christ (Rom 6:6). The body of sin (sin nature and its members - Col 3:5) is thus annulled. An immense fact for us, effected on the Cross.

Only neither this nor any other blessing is known without faith. Realizing by faith that the flesh (sin nature—NC) was condemned and put to death on the Cross, and practically putting on the new man, is both the privilege and the responsibility of the believer. Death to the flesh (nullifying it’s “dominion” – Ro 6:14—NC), not atonement by the Blood, nor mere cleansing, is the lesson here. It is our identification with Christ on the Cross and proclaims a deeper truth than that typified on the great Day of Atonement (substitution). On that day we saw the Blood that washed away all our sins. It is propitiation. Here in the brazen serpent it is life through death. Christ in “the likeness of sinful flesh” and on the Cross, made sin, and then dying under the judgment of God.

That is, He takes our place, made sin for us, “that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him” (2Co 5:21). That righteousness which we are made is the standing we have in Him before the Father; is it not practically that which believers are when they judge their own flesh with the judgment of God? Condemning it root and branch? I am persuaded we shall never know the blessedness of becoming God’s righteousness in Him until we pass sentence of death upon our old man; for you cannot cleanse sin (only the sinner—NC).

Our souls are forgiven their sins; but that is another thing. Fallen nature is still flesh, and must be condemned to death. The flesh is never cleansed. The Lord Jesus has fully borne the judgment of the flesh. He was lifted up for that very purpose, that we, beholding the judgment of our old man resting upon Him, might be able to say that we died with Him (Col 3:3). As the bitten Israelite looked upon the serpent of brass, and lived, so we look upon the Lord Jesus and in a new life live unto the Father. The question of sin is settled forever.

—R Beacon

Excerpt from MJS devotion for March 28:

“I do not think that a petition that misses the mind of God will ever be answered (1 John 5:14). Personally, I feel the need of trusting Him to lead me in prayer as well as in other matters. I find it well to preface prayer not only by meditation but by the definite request that I may be directed into the channels of prayer to which the Holy Spirit is beckoning me (Rom. 8:26, 27).

“When we once have the deep, calm assurance of His will in the matter, we put in our claim, just as a child before his father. A simple request and nothing more. No crying, no beseeching, no wrestling. No second asking, either.” -J.O.F.
http://www.abideabove.com/hungry-heart/
0 121 Read More
The Spiritual Profit in Understanding to Whom God's Promises Belong Pilgrim Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:16 AM
We profit from the Word when we perceive to whom the promises belong. They are available only to those who are in Christ. "For all the promises of God in Him [the Lord Jesus] are yea, and in Him Amen" (2 Corinthians 1:20). There can be no intercourse between the thrice holy God and sinful creatures except through a Mediator who has satisfied Him on their behalf. Therefore must that Mediator receive from God all good for His people, and they must have it at second hand through Him. A sinner might just as well petition a tree as call upon God for mercy while he despises and rejects Christ.

Both the promises and the things promised are made over to the Lord Jesus and conveyed unto the saints from Him. "This is the [chief and grandest] promise that He hath promised us, even eternal life" (1 John 2:25), and as the same epistle tells us, "this life is in His Son" (5:11). This being so, what good can they who are not yet in Christ have by the promise?

None at all. A man out of Christ is out of the favor of God, yea, he is under His wrath; the Divine threatenings and not the promises are his portion. Solemn, solemn consideration is it that those who are "without Christ" are "aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world" (Ephesians 2:12). Only "the children of God" are "the children of the promise" (Romans 9:8). Make sure, my reader, that you are one of them.

How terrible, then, is the blindness and how great is the sin of those preachers who indiscriminately apply Divine promises unto the saved and unsaved alike! They are not only taking "the children's bread" and casting it to the "dogs" (Matthew 15:26), but they are "handling the word of God deceitfully" (2 Corinthians 4:2), and beguiling immortal souls. And they who listen to and heed them are little less guilty, for God holds all responsible to search the Scriptures for themselves, and test whatever they read or hear by that unerring standard. If they are too lazy to do so, and prefer blindly to follow their blind guides, then their blood is on their own hands. Truth has to be "bought" (Proverbs 23:23), and those who are unwilling to pay the price must go without it.

- Arthur W. Pink Profiting From the Word Chapter 8: "The Scriptures & God's Promises"
0 103 Read More
Re: The Three Covenants NetChaplain Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:06 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
It seems more than clear that the true "people of God" are those who are united with Christ via repentance and faith and thus are adopted as the true "sons of God". ALL others are under the just judgment and wrath of God and have no love of God toward them. ELECT Jews and ELECT Gentiles = the Church, the 'bride of Christ' whom are recipients of God's eternal mercy and grace. There are no other "people of God" outside the Church which are those called by the Spirit from Adam to the last man who is effectually called by the Spirit of Christ.
I wouldn't think God, after 4 millennia dealing with the Israelites who believe in Him (Jhn 14:1), but not yet in Jesus, has nothing for them. Israel is still in His plans for what He has for them, just not heaven nor son-ship, but still a people of God.

It is a bit difficult to see in Scripture that He is going to save them too but I believe He is being a bit secretive about it. There's too much importance about Israel to think God would allow the majority of them perish with the world. I think that the Bible itself is quite a testament to His people; considering 90% of it is Jewish!
6 692 Read More
The Trinity NetChaplain Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:17 PM
The purpose of New Testament is to identify the Lord Jesus as the Son of God (because that’s His primary administration for salvation). Though the Three are equal in Deity, power and essence, They are in an order of authority (Father, Son, Spirit - Jhn 10:29; 14:28; 1Co 11:3; 15:24); as the One sending has more authority than the One sent (e.g. the Son sent the Spirit from the Father - Jhn 14:16, 26; 15:26; Heb 1:2).

The Son and the Spirit (Act 5:4) both represent God, but esp. the Son, manifesting "the fullness of the Godhead;" and the Father is the Godhead particularly, but all Three “equal” (Phl 2:6) generally (Act 17:29; Rom 1:20; Col 2:9). The "fullness," meaning the Son is the complete manifestation of the Father--or God, in all aspects, except authority; God is also "the Father of all spirits" (Heb 12:9).

Thus it is "Son of God" or "Son of the Father" (2Jo 1:3); Spirit of God or "Spirit of the Father" (Mat 10:20; Jhn 15:26; Rom 8:15). We see “Son of God” and “Spirit of God,” but not the Father of God—because God is the Father. The Lord Jesus is sometimes called God or even the Father (Isa 9:6), but it's in the sense of representing God or the Father, in order to show that the Son conveys all that God determines with His mind concerning the believer. The One sending has more authority than the One sent (e.g. the Son sent the Spirit from the Father - Jhn 14:16, 26; 15:26; Heb 1:2).

This also answers to the beginning of most of Paul's epistles: "Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ" (Rom 1:7; 1Co 1:3; 2Co 1:3, etc.); the following passages also coincides with this doctrine (Jhn 20:17; Rom 15:6; 1Co 8:6; Eph 4:6).

The point is that the Father wants believers to see the Lord Jesus as the Son more than any other title, because carries the most significant relation to us as the One who only can save and bring us to the Father. Christians will be the greatest entity following the Trinity, because of being the only ones created in God’s image!

I realize this information may seem quite different to most, because I have yet to see any teaching on the Trinity in this way. It's just what I've come to believe during my 43 year walk in Christ. Of course, how one understands and believes the Trinity is not essential doctrine (essential doctrine is that which teaches how to be saved), so don’t think that however you conceive the Trinity can affect your salvation!

God’s blessing to your Families, and God be blessed!
0 125 Read More
The Spiritual Profit in Understanding of The Scriptures & God's Promises Pilgrim Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:11 AM
The Divine promises make known the good pleasure of God's will unto His people, to bestow upon them the riches of His grace. They are the outward testimonies of His heart, who from all eternity loves them and fore-appointed all things for them and concerning them. In the person and work of His Son, God has made an all-sufficient provision for their complete salvation, both for time and eternity.

To the intent that they might have a true, clear and spiritual knowledge of the same, it has pleased the Lord to set it before them in the exceeding great and precious promises which are scattered up and down in the Scriptures as so many stars in the glorious firmament of grace; by which they may be assured of the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning them, and take sanctuary in Him accordingly, and through this medium have real communion with Him in His grace and mercy at all times, no matter what their case or circumstances may be.

The Divine promises are so many declarations to bestow some good or remove some ill. As such they are a most blessed making known and manifesting of God's love to His people. There are three steps in connection with God's love: first, His inward purpose to exercise it; the last, the real execution of that purpose; but in between there is the gracious making known of that purpose to the beneficiaries of it.

While love is concealed we cannot be comforted therewith. Now God who is "love" not only loves His own, and will not only show His love fully to them in due time, but in the interim He will have us informed of His benevolent designs, that we may sweetly rest in His love, and stretch ourselves comfortably upon His sure promises. There we are able to say, "How precious also are Thy thoughts unto me, O God! How great is the sum of them" (Psalm 139:17).

In 2 Peter 1:4, the Divine promises are spoken of as "exceeding great and precious." As Spurgeon pointed out, "greatness and preciousness seldom go together, but in this instance they are united in an exceeding degree." When Jehovah is pleased to open His mouth and reveal His heart He does so in a manner worthy of Himself, in words of superlative power and richness.

To quote again the beloved London pastor: "They come from a great God; they come to great sinners; they work for us great results and deal with great matters." While the natural intellect is capable of perceiving much of their greatness, only the renewed heart can taste their ineffable preciousness, and say with David, "How sweet are Thy words unto my taste! Yea, sweeter than honey to my mouth" (Psalm 69:103).

- Arthur W. Pink Profiting From the Word Chapter 8: "The Scriptures & God's Promises"
0 116 Read More
Re: Describe a Partial Preterist Nahum Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:36 PM
I apologize if I was unclear in the way that I worded my response. I hold to a Historicist hermeneutical approach, and while it might not be entirely incorrect if I were to do so, I do not at all describe myself as a "Partial Preterist." I think Preterism is the most dangerous or deadly approach that one could take to the Scriptures, and I try to disassociate myself from even the name "Preterism," -although (as with so many things) there is some truth in a Partial Preterist concept.

Based on what I have read, it was the "Jesuits" who revived and popularized Preterism in its various forms, which they did for Counter Reformation purposes (i.e., to help heal the wounded head of the beast). Since I believe in multiple fulfilments of prophecy, I have no problem pointing to past historical events and acknowledging them as being specific fulfilments of prophecy, but I differ with preterists even so, in that I do not rule out the possibility or what I consider more in terms of the "fact" of a later fulfilment of the same prophecy.

Perhaps I will shock you with what I am about to say, but I think there is a certain sense in which even some of those prophecies which commonly are understood and rightly regarded as having reference to the "once for all" death of Christ, have also a second fulfilment.

Moses, being a prophet, or a true "man of God," smote the rock twice. In this there is a type of the generation of Antichrist, which under the name of "Christian" (whether as "ministers" or lay people) would crucify the Son of God afresh. Since they cannot reach Him, they will crucify (however they are able) His mystical members. And all of the long history of Antichrist/Babylon's murder of the saints culminates in the beast's final attack and spiritual murder (i.e., by means of demonic forces) of the two witnesses (see Dn. 8:9-26, esp. (vss. 10, 24-25) & Dn. 11:32-39 (esp. vss. 33 & 39) with Rev. 11:7-10). This is extremely significant, because we are speaking here of the last little remnant of true believers who keep the testimony of Jesus when even the outer court, or, the visible Church has been given over to the Gentiles (or practical pagans) that they might "tread it underfoot" (Rev. 11:1-2).

But just as Christ was raised again on the third day, he will raise up also (or revive again) his little remnant:

"COME, and let us return unto the LORD: for he hath torn, and he will heal us; he hath smitten, and he will bind us up. After two days will he revive us: in the third day he will raise us up, and we shall live in his sight. Then shall we know, if we follow on to know the LORD: his going forth is prepared as the morning; and he shall come unto us as the rain, as the latter and former rain unto the earth." Hos. 6:1-3

"And after three days and an half the Spirit of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them which saw them. And they heard a great voice from heaven saying unto them, Come up hither. And they ascended up to heaven in a cloud; and their enemies beheld them." Rev. 11:11-12

God gave us a hymn to sing about this story of which I now speak. It is Psalm 89, -particularly verses 38-51. I do not deny that there is reference to the crucifixion of Christ (the forerunner) in these verses, but it is speaking of something even beyond that. Verses 38-51 do come as following after the anointing (or ministry), the ascension, and the Session of Christ at the Father's right hand, -which things are all mentioned in the earlier section: vss. 20-37 particularly. That verses 38-51 have reference also to Christ's members, especially in the time of apostasy and spiritual war following after the Millennium, -when the "thrones" are cast down (see Rev. 20:4 & 7-9 with Dn. 7:9), is clear from the following places and considerations:

As already mentioned, this section (38-51) follows in order after the ascension and Session of Christ.

God's covenant with "David" (vss. 35-36) meaning Christ the true "Messiah" (vs. 20), which, in the sad description within this Psalm was seemingly "made void" (vs. 39) includes in it also his spiritual seed and members (vs. 36); which consideration brings us prepared for the next observation:

Things such as the breaking down of the hedges (vs. 40), being made a spoil and a reproach to neighbors (vs. 41), being made not to stand in battle, -the right hand of the adversaries being set up above us (vss. 42 & 43), and the experience of shortened days (vs. 45) &c., all have reference to things of this life which things usually, in Scripture, describe times of judgement upon the Church.

And lastly, verses 49-51 actually tell us that these things have reference to Christ's mystical members through the use of the plural "servants" in verse 50. (See 49-51)

Psalm 102 also hints at some of these sad latter-day fulfilments of prophecy, which correspond with the idea of the rock being twice struck. But (as is more apparent in Psalm 102), this is not the end of the story, for when this "little corner stone" (being the true members of Christ, -who is the "Chief Cornerstone" -Eph. 2:20) has been fully cut out of the mountain, it will smite the ugly Babylon/Antichristian image in the feet which will totally destroy it (see Dn. 2, esp. vss. 34-35). Jesus is Lord, and He is victorious! While it may be very true that these present days are the darkest of days, it is also nevertheless true that the very best times for the elect Church are soon to come!
5 890 Read More
Re: Theonomy Tom Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:14 PM
Pilgrim thanks that was helpful.
I wrote what I did not to give detail; but to give a general overview for my benefit.

Tom
10 1,542 Read More
Re: The Alphabet Army Tom Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:44 PM
Total Insanity Yes! However, the video sure explains the insanity. Voddie Baucham is probably my favorite theologian at explaining these kind of things.

He has spoken to not only this particular issue. But the Social Justice movement, CRT and other related things. As a result, as a African American, he has been labeled as traitor to his own people. No more than a token black man, for the white supremist cause.
Which, should not be surprising in our world today. However, this accusation is also been repeated in his own denomination, the SBC.

In case you were not aware, the SBC is a denomination, at war within. Conservatives such as Founders, Voddie Baucham, Tom Ascol, fighting to keep God and the Bible central. While others more on the liberal side, believe that the CRT, can be used as a tool.
Tom Ascol, is probably the most outspoken critic against the liberalism in the denomination. He is not afraid to call a spade a spade, unlike some who say they agree with Tom Ascol, but are afraid of the consequences should they speak against their own friends.

Tom
2 537 Read More
Continual Continuity NetChaplain Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:34 PM
Believers are ever in fellowship with God via “desiring and doing His good pleasure” (Phl 2:13). They are saved by His grace, and manifest their love to Him by their obedience. The place where God has them is in a constant and unbroken state of holiness and acceptability in His Son, the Lord Jesus Christ! Though sin indwells, there is permanent separation from the sin (2Th 2:13; 1Pe 1:2), for the believer is “not in the flesh, but in the Spirit” (Ro 8:9). This is sanctification unto holiness, and walking in “all things that pertain unto life and godliness” (2Pe 1:3), without a cloud of interference between the believer and God.

When Christians sin they need not to ask for forgiveness—they already have that! But the sin must be confessed (admitted), repentance applied, then thank Him for the forgiveness. Thus, it is “Father, I realize I have sinned and I thank you for your forgiveness.” The request for forgiveness of all our sins was established when we received His Son, and there need not be a continuing request for that which He has done “once for all” (Heb 10:10) in perpetual forgiveness. It’s not the request for forgiveness, but in the confession of our sins that “He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1Jo 1:9).

After the initial request and confession of sins, forgiveness is perpetual and unbroken; we walk in perpetual forgiveness, thus it’s not as though we go in and out of sin—because the sin is never imputed. The sin is in us, but not on us—because it is all on Him (opposite of the Lord not having sin in Him but ours on Him)! “The chastisement of our peace was upon Him” and “the LORD hath laid on Him the iniquity of us all” (Isa 53:5, 6).

It’s not that we continue to ask for forgiveness but that we continue to “confess,” which means to admit we’ve sinned; then we are to thank God for forgiving us, and know that He never withholds it. There can never be anything to interrupt our perpetual fellowship with God. He desires only one way, which is a continual relationship that doesn’t lose connection with Him, the Son and their Holy Spirit! This answers to our being “hid” from sin (Col 3:3) and not in it, though it be in us. His death was our death unto sin; His resurrection is power against sins “dominion” (Ro 6:14); and His ascension is our fellowship with Him and the Father—through the Spirit.”

In the Lord’s Prayer, “forgive us our debts (or sins in Luke) as we forgive our debtors,” is saying to forgive us our debts to You as we forgive others their debts to us. This addresses how we are supposed to be towards one another if we are to be in the will of God; and the forgiveness of God for this sin is there in those who always forgive others for their offences. This issue is not related to personal sins but sins against others and God. Our personal sins are dealt with between ourselves and God—through confession and repentance.

We aren’t without sin, but are without guilt (continuously), and it is permanent, or God could have no union with us, let alone fellowship, as we mature! It’s not as though we are in sin and then out of it, that is not how God works. This answers to why God and the Scriptures never collate or relate the saint as a sinner (e.g. Rom 5:8; 1Pe 4:18). The sins of the Christian are impulsive, not intentional; and if intentional due to immaturity, we are always brought to realize the seriousness of sin and its decadence. Our fellowship can be interrupted by sin from immaturity, and that will only be temporary as we mature; but the absence of guilt persists.

The Father’s agreement with His Son to go to the Cross and be raised from the dead (Heb 13:20, 21) established our union (Covenant of Redemption – the present Covenant of which we are the recipients, and not Benefactors), and He established it so that our desire will ever be unto His “good pleasure” (which desire He “works” in all reborn – Phl 2:13). Yes, God has worked it out so that we can be in constant union and fellowship with Him and His Son—by Their Holy Spirit!
0 169 Read More
Twenty-four hours in Hell! ~ James Smith Rick Bates Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:52 PM
"Why should any living man complain?" Lamentations 3:39

Occasionally I am tempted to complain of my hard lot, and think myself harshly dealt with. Ingratitude rises and works in my heart. This always makes me wretched. I then find it profitable to look down into Hell, and realize its horrors and agonies as my just deservings.

If anyone ever deserved to go to Hell, I did!

If justice was ever honored in a sinner's damnation, it would have been in mine!

If anyone was ever saved by grace alone, I am the man!

Shall I then, who deserves to be in Hell, but am not;
shall I, who am an heir of Heavenly glory, though no one ever deserved it less;
shall I, because of a few trials, troubles, and disappointments, or because I have rather a heavy cross to carry--shall I dare to murmur, or fret, or complain, or think myself harshly dealt with?

Shocking inconsistency!

What are my present pains or sufferings, compared with the Hell that I deserve!

All the afflictions that I am called to endure here on earth, cannot be compared with only twenty-four hours in Hell! And yet my desert is, not to be in Hell for a few hours, but forever! Surely every lost soul, every damned spirit, will be ready to upbraid me, if I complain of my present lot! What base ingratitude if I do not praise the Lord with joyful lips, for His rich, free, and sovereign grace!

O my soul, whenever I am tempted to complain of my difficult lot, think of my deservings! Think of what would have been my eternal doom, if God had not saved me by His sovereign grace!

Yes, I do find that looking down into Hell . . .
silences my complaints,
awakens my gratitude, and
humbles me in the dust before my God!
0 181 Read More
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 87 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry, Nana Dadzie Jr.
973 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
October
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,380,876 Gospel truth