Tom,

What I see is a very confused response to his/her definition of "Irresistible Grace". This person speaks of "total depravity" but also of "free will". As you well know, depending of course how this individual defines free-will, there is no such animal.

Secondly, he/she speaks of a "limited time" within which a person who has been given "the ability and free-will" to respond to the Gospel. I think here we can see a major caveat in this view. The "ability" to respond to the Gospel is the result of one being regenerated. Regeneration is the recreating of the soul, whereby one's entire being is effected, e.g., the affections, intellect and will. Since the will (ability) is determined by one's affections/desires and knowledge of the truth, when one is regenerated, there is a radical change in the disposition/nature and thus those things which were hated are desired. Those things which were odious to the thinking are now something most wonderfully true. Consequently, the regenerated person chooses (wills) the things of God naturally, freely, impulsively. To set a time limit on how a regenerated person acts amounts to saying that a person can be regenerated (born again) and then after a certain period of time, they revert to a state of being unregenerate. Aside from the fact that Scripture nowhere even hints of this type of thing occurring, it contradicts the very essence of God's plan of redemption for the elect and the means by which He brings them to salvation in it's ultimate sense.

Thirdly, this person includes another error when he/she said:

All of the elect persons who live past the age of accountability . . .

This contradicts what he/she first affirmed, i.e., that all are born "with total depravity". What this person appears to be saying here is that before some arbitrarily determined physical age, the person is not under the wrath and judgment of God and is not in peril of eternal damnation. As you also know, men are born into this world with a double curse; 1) inherited corruption of nature (total depravity; aka: Original Sin) and 2) imputation of Adam's guilt. Thus, even if a person was born without a depraved nature, they are still liable to judgment due to the imputed guilt which they are accountable for. Atonement still needs to be made and applied, else they shall suffer damnation, they being guilty sinners before God. (Rom 5:12-18; et al)

Lastly, and the final error made is found in this statement:

Some of the non-elect persons will have this free will, but none of the non-elect persons will freely surrender to Christ.
How he/she ties this in with what was said beforehand, I can't really say, only that it is inconsistent with the doctrine of total depravity and regeneration. ONLY those who have been regenerated have the desire and ability to choose for God and believe upon Christ. It is to them alone (the elect) that the Holy Spirit draws them irresistibly to Christ. (Matt 11:25-27; Jh 6:36-40, 44, 65; 10:3, 4, 14; et al)

See more here: Efficacious Grace, by Loraine Boettner.

In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]