Marie, you said, “Please stop calling yourself Reformed or Calvinist. To say you are one and yet make the above statement is like a "Pentecostal" saying he believes tongues have ceased!”

Marie, I never called myself “Reformed.” I fully realize that some five-point Calvinists believe that only five-point Calvinists deserve to be called Calvinists. I think I read on another post that you work in the library at The Southern Baptist Seminary in Louisville. You of course remember Danny Akin who was the dean of the school of theology at the seminary. He is now president of Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary. I think some people refer to Danny as a four-point Calvinist. Danny, like me, believes that repentance/faith precedes regeneration:

“In the fourth Gospel we read that faith is not only a sign but also a condition of the new birth: ‘To all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God’ (John 1:12).”
(Akin, “1, 2, 3, John,” The New American Commentary, page 189)

I noticed on the “Choosen and Children” thread that you disagreed with what Drs. Mohler and Akin said about all children being saved and that you disagreed with the concept of an age of accountability. I’m guessing that you were not required to agree with the 2000 Baptist Faith and Message. It hints at the age of accountability and the salvation of all infants when it says, “Therefore, as soon as they are capable of moral action, they become transgressors and are under condemnation.” Oh well, let’s go back to John 1:12.

You said, “John 1:12 does not disprove regeneration occurring before conversion (elongated view or not). I 've been taught that verse means that those who received/believed WERE given the right to become children of God. This is shown in Ephesians 1:

4 He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love
5 He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will,
6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.”

Many Calvinists, including John Calvin himself, have seen adoption in the phrase “right to become children of God” in John 1:12. The Greek word translated in verse 12 as “children” is “teknon.” The Greek word for “adoption” is “huiothesia,” and the word for “son” is “huios.” If John had used the word “huios” rather than “teknon,” then you might be able to make a strong case for adoption in verse 12. Tom Nettles, a professor at The Southern Baptist Seminary, is an example of a strong five-point Calvinist who understands that adoption is not in view in John 1:12:

“In conformity with the birth figure, the interpreter should understand the word sons. This word is not an emphasis on adoption, as in Ephesians 1 and Romans 8, but focuses on community of nature (2 Peter 1:4).”
(Nettles, By His Grace and for His Glory, page 288)

Notice also the comment by Marvin Vincent, Baldwin Professor of Sacred Literature at Union Theological Seminary in New York in 1887:

“Except in Apoc. xxi. 7, which is a quotation, John never uses huios to describe the relation of Christians to God, since he regards their position not as a result of adoption, but of a new life. Paul, on the other hand, regards the relation from the legal standpoint, as adoption, imparting a new dignity and relation (Rom. viii. 15; Gal. iv. 5, 6). See also Jas. i. 18; 1 Peter i. 3, 23, where the point of view is John’s rather than Paul’s.”
(Vincent, “The Writings of John,” Word Studies in the New Testament, vol. II, Grand Rapids: Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1887, page 49)

Vincent continued:

“The present participle, believing, indicates the present and continuous activity of faith.”
(Ibid., page 49)

The people were believing in God when they were given the right to be regenerated.