Ted said:
Kyle wrote:
No, Ted, it isn't. The question was whether we are commanded, as Christians, to give a tenth part our income to the church. "Yes" or "no" suffice as basic answers. From there you could make your scriptural argument.

I wrote, in my very first post,
I would respectfully submit that the question you ask doesn't get to the heart of what the Bible teaches. A simple answer would be, "No, we are required to give everything we have, but only after we've given our hearts to God."

In a subsequent post, I wrote:
The original question, "Are Christians mandated to tithe? That is to give a tenth of their goods to the church?" is, in regard to justification, a simple "no." There is NOTHING we can do to be justified before God (short of keeping ALL the Law -- which we know is impossible!).

So, it would appear, that the "no" has been plainly stated.

No, it hasn't, Ted. The intent of the original question was not to determine whether we should consider all we have as God's and whether we should be willing to give it all, which at any rate none of us disagrees with. The intent of the original question was to determine whether the TITHE is a perpetually binding mandate. Here was a question regarding a specific, practical example, which you refused to answer on the same terms, but instead expanded to universal morality and have confused at least three people (myself, Pilgrim, and Boanerges) as to what, exactly, you are trying to convey in regards to the tithe itself. Rather than telling us whether the tithe itself is a continuing ordinance, you have insisted on constantly repeating that we are called to give. Yes, we are called to give, but GIVING is not the same as TITHING. Furthermore, you have made it into an issue of justification where NO ONE has even touched on justification! As I've told you at least two separate times now, we have no disagreement regarding justification. Justification is, in fact, beside the point of this particular discussion.

Let's look at it from a different angle, my brother. Which of the "fruits of the Spirit" have you been displaying to me in the process of our "discussion?"

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. - Galatians 5:22-24 ESV

I'm glad you can quote the Bible, Ted. But going by that I'd have to assume you are a Judaizer and therefore a heretic. Why don't you answer my questions? Are we obligated to obey the ceremonial and civil ordinances of the Mosaic law?

--------------------
By His Grace,
Kyle

Respectfully submitted with the best interests of your soul,
Ted
[/quote]

Ted, what about that quote of mine is unloving, unjoyful, unpeaceful, impatient, unkind, bad, unfaithful, gruff, or out-of-control? It is a statement of fact which I stand by, which I made to make it all the more clear to you that I wanted you to expound rather than merely spout verses! When I say that the ceremonial and civil law, of which the tithe is a part, is done away, and you reply with Jesus' words saying that whoever annuls the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called the least in heaven, without any explanation of yours attached what other conclusion can be drawn but that you think the entirety of the Mosaic law is still in effect and binding on the Christian conscience?

Kyle

I tell you, this man went down to his house justified.