CLEARLY, my brothers in Christ, I have made MANY, many, MANY, many, MANY mistakes during the course of this discussion board thread. CLEARLY. (Little else I typed, frankly, is that clear -- IF you know what I mean . . . and I KNOW that you do!)

Perhaps one of the biggest mistakes I made was assuming that I could help Boanerges and everyone else who might read my posts to understand something that I THOUGHT I knew about -- something I had studied, I thought, a great deal and something, I thought, I could clearly expound upon: stewardship. CLEARLY, again, I was wrong. My pride told me, "you can teach these learned men something." God, however, must have opposed my prideful thinking.

James 4:6b - Therefore it says, "God opposes the proud, but gives grace to the humble."

1 Peter 5:5 - Likewise, you who are younger, be subject to the elders. Clothe yourselves, all of you, with humility toward one another, for "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."

James 3:1 - Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness.

I pray, "Please forgive me, LORD. Forgive me for my prideful thinking. Forgive me for being a poor steward of my time and the time of these other brothers (and sisters) in Christ. And, as I wrote previously, forgive me for failing to glorify You."

There is, however, one thing that bugs me in this thread. Something that I can't quite reconcile in my mind.

Initially Boanerges wrote:
Are Christians mandated to tithe? That is to give a tenth of their goods to the church?

But later Boanerges wrote:
What a load of horse apples! Multiple people have pointed out that there is no direct command for a Christian to tithe (and by that I mean take 10%). We have asked for good scriptural exegesis that demonstrates this and have been given bupkis, or just "quotes" out of context. Now Kyle has taken the time to rightly point out what the tithe was for. In so doing, he has also shown that the tithe is a part of the ceremonial laws and has since passed. (BTW somebody catch speratus because I've just agreed with him)

But you Ted haven't proved the opposite in fact you seem to be proposing that the ceremonial laws haven't been done away with.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jesus says (in Matthew 5:17-20):
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven. For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Kyle, there seems to be a little conflict in thought here . . . . . .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, the word of God says this:

Quote:

by abolishing the law of commandments and ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace,and might reconcile us both to God in one body through the cross, thereby killing the hostility.
(Eph 2:15-16 ESV)
by canceling the record of debt that stood against us with its legal demands. This he set aside, nailing it to the cross.
Therefore let no one pass judgment on you in questions of food and drink, or with regard to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath.
These are a shadow of the things to come, but the substance belongs to Christ.
(Col 2:14,16,17 ESV)(See also Westminister Confession Chapter 19)

The shadow and types have been fulfilled in Christ that includes the ceremonial law regarding tithing. What God now commands of us is to give what we can cheerfully.
Quote:

Each one must give as he has made up his mind, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
(2Co 9:7 ESV)

This isn't the tithe which as Kyle and other pointed out was done under compulsion.

The part that bugs me is: how do I reconcile what was written initially by Boanerges . . . .
Are Christians mandated to tithe? That is to give a tenth of their goods to the church?
with what was later written by Boanerges . . . .
The shadow and types have been fulfilled in Christ that includes the ceremonial law regarding tithing. What God now commands of us is to give what we can cheerfully.

Question: Boanerges, were you honestly and sincerely (with God as your witness) desirous of learning the answer to the question that you posed?

[Based on my review of your posts in this thread, I would say "Yes!" most heartily. But only you can tell me the truth of your heart.]

And, no matter what your answer, please forgive me for ALL of the MANY Christ-like things I have written and for the multiple times I have failed to glorify God and His precious Word throughout this thread.

Yours in Christ,
Ted