Link said:

I notice that some people argue that God no longer gives revelation by saying that if there is modern revelation, it must be added to the canon, and the canon is closed. If past revelation was not all included in the canon, why would modern revelation have to be included in it?

My first reaction to your question would be "what kind of modern revelation are you talking about?" What purpose will it serve?

From the beginning God has revealed himself in two ways. Through His creation and through His Word. Now that we have the completed canon of Scripture what else do we need other than the Holy Spirit to teach us from it?

I like the way the Westminster Confession makes a statement which summarizes this topic.

VI. The whole counsel of God concerning all things necessary for his own glory, man's salvation, faith and life, is either expressly set down in Scripture, or by good and necessary consequence may be deduced from Scripture: unto which nothing at any time is to be added, whether by new revelations of the Spirit, or traditions of men.[12] Nevertheless, we acknowledge the inward illumination of the Spirit of God to be necessary for the saving understanding of such things as are revealed in the Word:[13] and that there are some circumstances concerning the worship of God, and government of the church, common to human actions and societies, which are to be ordered by the light of nature, and Christian prudence, according to the general rules of the Word, which are always to be observed.[14]

12. II Tim. 3:16-17; Gal. 1:8-9; II Thess. 2:2
13. John 6:45; I Cor. 2:12, 14-15; Eph. 1:18; II Cor. 4:6
14. I Cor. 11:13-14; 14:26, 40

Wes

When I survey the wondrous cross on which the Prince of Glory died, my richest gain I count but loss and pour contempt on all my pride. - Isaac Watts