Pilgrim

I notice people quoting confessions as they basis for their theological views, sometimes as much as scripture on these forums. I have not attacked the scriptures. I merely pointed out that they show that not all revelation from God, including prophetic revelation, has been included in scripture. This is obvious from the Bible, and if your confessions and creeds, or interpretations thereof do not agree, then you need to re-evaluate what you are basing your beliefs on.

I do not hold to a low view of the scriptures. In fact, I am arguing my case here based on scripture. The Bible shows us that God gave prophecies that were not recorded in scripture. The Bible teaches that God gives gifts like prophecy to the church. Where is the scripture that says that this is no longer the case? That is my question. No one has answered me. I have not challenged the inspiration of the scriptures. I do, however, challenge confessions and interpretations of confessions that claim that God only speaks through the scripture. Why do I challenge this? Because this claim contradicts scripture. I am not challenging the scriptures, but I am challenging certain unscriptural doctrines men have made about the scriptures.

Wes quoted a number of references that relate to the role of the scriptures that do not have any bearing on whether God speaks through the gifts of the Spirit as taught by the scriptures. Since I believe in the inspiration of the scriptures, and that was not the issue, I did not address every point. I addressed the one from II Timothy that has bearing on the topic in a previous post. But since you accuse me of blowing right by them, I will address them.

Wes wrote,
>>>
That "No prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophets' own interpretation." 2 Peter 1:20 <<

Amen.

>>That all Scripture was written as "Men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit." 2 Peter 1:21 <<

That was the nature of OT prophecy. But we would probably agree Peter wrote this to people during an era when there were prophets in the church.

>>That "God Spoke . . . through the prophets . . . and by His Son." Hebrews 1:1-2 <<

Amen. And when this verse was written, the church had prophets in it. There were prophetically inspired, canonical books that had not yet been written. Notice that the verse says that God has spoken by His son, not that He would not speak through prophets, and it does not specifically mention the issue of God speaking through the scriptures.

>>That "All Scripture is God-breathed." 2 Timothy 3:16

The Word of God, once given and written, is exact in all details down to each letter and stroke of the pen. Matthew 5:18

That "The Scripture cannot be broken." John 10:35

That "The Word of the Lord stands forever." 1 Peter 1:25
That "No prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophets' own interpretation." 2 Peter 1:20 <<

These are all great passages. But none of them negate the teaching of I Corinthians 12, 14, Romans 12, and various other passages of scripture that teach that God gives the gift of prophecy to the church.

That all Scripture was written as "Men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit." 2 Peter 1:21

The issue here is not whether the Bible is inspired. We agree on that. My point is that the Bible shows us that God gave revelations that are not included in scripture. I listed several verses in the initial post.

Does everyone agree with my thesis that God gave revelation, including spoken prophetic revelation, outside of scripture? If not, please deal with the verses in the initial post, one-by-one to explain why you disagree.

>>On a more personal note, I simply can't seem to bring myself to trust someone who says they hear voices, particularly one who says it is God's voice and even more so that God spoke to them with a note of interest that applies to me.<<

You must have a big problem with Moses, then, who heard God speaking the commandments at Sinai, and the apostles who heard God speak from heaven about Christ.