I need some help. A friend of mine is puzzled with a "discrepancy" he thinks he sees regarding comparing Hebrews v. Exodus verses. I didn't know what to say and tried looking up a couple of commentaries online, but without a good answer. Maybe you can give me a clearer insight?
Specifically Hebrews 11:23 says "By faith Moses, when he was born, was hidden for three months by his parents, because they saw he was a beautiful child, and they were not afraid of the king's edict". In this Hebrews verse it says the parents were not afraid of the king's edict. My friend says there is a problem when you read and compare Exodus 1:22 - 2:3. He questions if Hebrews is "correct" and says that the parents of Moses obviously were afraid of the king since they hid him.
The other passage is Hebrews 11:27 - "By faith he {Moses} left Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king..." My friend says there's another problem when comparing Exodus 2:14,15. He says it doesn't make sense because in Exodus 2:14 Moses was "afraid" and Moses fled when Pharoah tried to kill Moses in v. 15. For my friend the issue is broader than just these verses. He is questioning the inerrancy of Scripture and is seeing these "discrepancies" in Scripture and wants to know a good answer to them because these discrepancies bother him.
Thanks for any help. I hope you are all well. I haven't been here in quite a while but haven't forgotten your board and the wonderful knowledge and help found here.