Question 112: What is required in the ninth commandment?

Answer: That I bear false witness against no man, (a) nor falsify any man's words; (b) that I be no backbiter, nor slanderer; (c) that I do not judge, nor join in condemning any man rashly, or unheard; (d) but that I avoid all sorts of lies and deceit, as the proper works of the devil, (e) unless I would bring down upon me the heavy wrath of God; (f) likewise, that in judgment and all other dealings I love the truth, speak it uprightly and confess it; (g) also that I defend and promote, as much as I am able, the honor and good character of my neighbor. (h)

(a) Prov.19:5 A false witness shall not be unpunished, and he that speaketh lies shall not escape.
Prov.19:9 A false witness shall not be unpunished, and he that speaketh lies shall perish.
Prov.21:28 A false witness shall perish: but the man that heareth speaketh constantly.

(b) Ps.15:3 He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbor, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbor.
Ps.50:19 Thou givest thy mouth to evil, and thy tongue frameth deceit.
Ps.50:20 Thou sittest and speakest against thy brother; thou slanderest thine own mother's son.

(c) Rom.1:29,30 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

(d) Matt.7:1,2 Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.
Luke 6:37 Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

(e) John 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

(f) Prov.12:22 Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are his delight.
Prov.13:5 A righteous man hateth lying: but a wicked man is loathsome, and cometh to shame.

(g) 1 Cor.13:6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
Eph.4:25 Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbour: for we are members one of another.

(h) 1 Pet.4:8 And above all things have fervent charity among yourselves: for charity shall cover the multitude of sins.