Question 65: Since then we are made partakers of Christ and all his benefits by faith only, whence does this faith proceed?

Answer:
From the Holy Ghost, (a) who works faith in our hearts by the preaching of the gospel, and confirms it by the use of the sacraments. (b)
(a) Eph.2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Eph.2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
Eph.6:23 Peace be to the brethren, and love with faith, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
Philip.1:29 For unto you it is given in the behalf of Christ, not only to believe on him, but also to suffer for his sake;
(b) Matt.28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
Matt.28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
1 Pet.1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
1 Pet.1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.