Hello Robin,

But he was pierced for our transgressions;
he was crushed for our iniquities;
upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace,
and with his wounds we are healed.(Isaiah 53:5)

Yes, Jesus "Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures"(1Cor 15:3). It is also evident that in some way, because of the death of Jesus Christ, God's attitude toward us was changed.

Let's say that I have offended my neighbor in some way. Let's say that I bring my neighbor an "offering" or an "approach present" to change his attitude towards me.

In one scenario, I bring my neighbor a bowl of rotten, flawed, (sinful) fruit as a "peace offering". Is my neighbor's attitude towards me going to change because of this? No, his attitude would only harden and get worse. A bowl of rotten fruit would not be a "fragrant odor", "acceptable", or a delight to my neighbor.

Now imagine that I bring my neighbor a peace offering and a sacrifice that is a perfect bowl of fruit. This time the offering is a delight, it is acceptable, and it is a fragrant odor to my neighbor. Would such an offering change my neighbor's attitude toward me? Yes, it would.

So, was an Israelite saying, "Let the wrath you have for me be directed at, manifested upon, and expended on this flawless lamb that I am giving to you so that you will be at peace with me?" I would suggest he is saying something like this, "I know I have no merit within myself and that I am not acceptable to you in and of myself, nor can I dwell with you or approach you in and of myself. Of myself, all I can do is make you angry. But let me approach you on the merits of this flawless lamb. Let me find acceptance with you, favor from you, and delight from you based on the worthiness of this flawless lamb. Let this peace offering find favor in your eyes and may there be peace and reconciliation between us.

A man cannot get anything unless it is given him by heaven. God gives to all life, and breath and all.