Hello Pilgrim,

Please be patient with me. As I've had time, I've been looking into how it is that
Jesus Christ was cursed on the cross and was made to be sin on the cross. This post is about Jesus Christ becoming a curse for our sakes.

There are different verses that would seem to be contradictory on the subject
of Jesus Christ being cursed by God on the cross and I've been meditating on
them and trying to reconcile them.

First of all, there are these two verses that would seem to say he was not
cursed by God, but only cursed by the mouths of blasphemous Jews both while
he hung on the cross as well as by those who claimed that He could not possibly
have been the Messiah because a proper messiah would never be cursed on
a tree. Here is Psalm 109:25-28:

I am an object of scorn to my accusers; when they see me, they wag their
heads. Help me, O Lord my God! Save me according to your steadfast love!
Let them know that this is your hand; you, O Lord, have done it! Let them
curse, but you will bless!
They arise and are put to shame, but your servant will be glad!(Psalm 109:25-28)

The words, "Let them curse, but you will bless!" are very instructive. In these
verses all of the scorn, derision, and mocking that our Lord received while He hung on the cross came from the wicked hearts and mouths of those who taunted and defamed(cursed) Him as He hung on the cross. It did not come from the heart or mind of God. God's attitude was "you will bless."

Paul says this:

1 Cor 12:3 Therefore I want you to understand that no one speaking in the Spirit
of God ever says, "Jesus is accursed!" and no one can say "Jesus is Lord" except
in the Holy Spirit.

Paul says that no one speaking in the Spirit of God ever says, "Jesus is accursed!" Clearly this means that nobody could speak in the Spirit of God and say that Jesus Christ remains cursed now that He is no longer on the cross. But can one say, in the Spirit of God, that Jesus Christ was cursed(by God rather than mocked and cursed by men) while He hung on the cross?

Paul tells us, that for the Jew, a message of a crucified Messiah was a snare(1Cor 1:23). And in light of 1Cor 12:3, there must have been many who were saying that Jesus Christ could not have been the Messiah because He was cursed by God. When Paul presented the truth that Jesus Christ was the Christ in Acts 18:6 the Jews "blasphemed" and Paul says that he himself was a blasphemer and compelled Christians to blaspheme(Acts 26:11; 1Tim 1:13) Was this the blasphemy they spoke by saying that Jesus Christ was accursed?(1Cor 12:3)?

Having said that, these two verses would seem to indicate that Jesus
Christ was cursed by God while hanging on the cross:

Gal 3:13 Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us--for it is written, "Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree."

Deu 21:23 His body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but thou shalt in any wise bury him that day; (for he that is hanged is accursed of God) that thy land be not defiled, which the Lord thy God giveth thee for an inheritance.

The question is, when Paul says that He became a curse is He talking about the mocking, derision, and cursing that came from the mouths of wicked men against Him? That is to say the mocking and cursing that is false and untrue?(Psalm 109:25-28)

Here is another version of Deu 21:23:

Deu 21:23 ..for he that is hanged is a reproach unto G-d; that thou defile not thy land which HaShem thy G-d giveth thee for an inheritance.(Tanakh)

Various version read either "cursed by God" or "curse of God". There is a note on the NASB which said it is literally "curse of God." One Rabbi commentary said that this means that God Himself is being cursed or reproached by keeping the corpse up on the tree because man is made in the image of God and therefore to keep the man(even though he be a criminal) up long on the cross would "defile the land which God gave them for an inheritance."

James says that the tongue is used to curse men who are made in the likeness of God(James 3:9). How much worse is it to curse the perfect image of God, the Lord Jesus Christ! Certainly both Psalm 109 and many places in the New Testament tell us that Jesus Christ was cursed, reviled, scorned, etc. by the mouths of wicked men. And they certainly did not do this by the Spirit of God(1Cor 12:3).

My conclusion, in light of all of the evidence above, as well as the evidence that the sacrifice of Jesus Christ was a delight, well pleasing, and a fragrant odor to God, is that when Paul says that Jesus Christ became a curse for us, he is not saying that our Lord was cursed by the heart or hand or mouth of God. Rather, He was cursed and an object of derision from the mouths of men who blasphemed Him.

God's attitude towards His Son was never one of wrath or cursing. It has always been one of delight and blessing. Likewise, when we are cursed or scorned for His sake, it is not that we are under God's curse or God's wrath. Indeed we should count it an honor and a joy.

A man cannot get anything unless it is given him by heaven. God gives to all life, and breath and all.