Originally Posted by Pilgrim
Originally Posted by brightfame52
Pilgrim

What is the 'salvation' which you are referring?

I believe salvation is in three phases, #2 there's salvation from the power of sin, that is when the Holy Spirit gives Spiritual life to the Sheep Christ died for, giving them faith and repentance,...I believe 2 Thess 2 13 is about # 2 The sanctification of the Spirit is the New Birth, it's called a saving work Titus 3:5

not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
Okay, thanks for at least answering one of the three term definitions.

I prefer the classical Reformed/biblical ordo salutus:
- predestination ---> election
- efficacious grace/irresistible grace/regeneration
- conversion: conviction of sin ---> repentance/faith ---> justification
- sanctification
- glorification

So, returning to the questionable statement by Dave (without clarification), "Faith (evidence, substance) is a fruit of the Holy Spirit that causes saved people to believe.? It appears to be contrary to the biblical and confessional ordo salutus, i.e., faith follows regeneration which is the instrumental cause of salvation vs. an initial salvation producing faith, thus putting faith before regeneration.

However, IF I understand you correctly from your definition of "salvation" in 2Thess 2:13 as being "New Birth" (regeneration), then that would be correct. But is this the proper definition of the word "salvation" in this particular text? Methinks William Hendriksen's paraphrase of that text in context is spot on.

Originally Posted by Hendriksen
We - Paul, Silas, and Timothy - cannot do otherwise than ceaselssly thank God for you (pl), brothers in the faith (who are the objects of God's special love), because in his sovereign, immutable election God from the beginning chose you to salvation - which is negatively, rescue from the guilt, pollution, and punishment of sin positively, the entrance into the inheritance reserved for God's children - ; a salvation which becomes your (pl) possession through the work of the Holy Spirit, that is through sanctification - a process of causing you (pl) to become increasingly detached from the world and attached to Christ until his image is completely formed in you (pl) - and through your (pl) active, vital consent to the body of redemptive truth revealed in Christ; to which final and complete salvation God also called you (pl), having effectively applied to your (pl) hearts the gospel which we preached to you (pl) and which we urged you (pl) to accept in order that you (pl) might one day share in the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Whatcha think? Would you agree with Hendriksen's paraphrase? And would your understanding of the "salvation" (#2 definition) be appropriate?
No I dont agree with him. Remember in my summation Salvation in 2 Thess 2:13 is by the Work of the Spirit, its Salvation from Spiritual darkness, unbelief. Now Salvation from the penalty of sin, is a work of Christ alone, His Obedience, thats Salvation legally from the penalty of sin, the punishment of sin because Christ has already sustained the punishment and guilt of the sins of the chosen elect. I think we need to be careful to understand what aspect of Salvation is being spoken of in any given text. Each Partyn in the Trinity has a part in Saving, the Fathers Eternal Purpose saved us 2 Tim 2:9, the SonsLegal Work via the obedience unto death, even the cross, and the Spirits applicatory Work in time to each vessel of mercy.