Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
John_C
John_C
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,788
Posts54,919
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,528
chestnutmare 3,325
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 11
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Anthony C. - Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 PM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#1379 Fri Jan 03, 2003 8:12 AM
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
PIlgrim,

I tried to do an archive search for articles on the subject of Joy. The result was that a notice came up saying that the page I am looking for does not exist. Obviously I did something wrong.

Can you suggest some good articles by Puritan or other Reformed authors on the subject of Joy? Thanks!

Stand Fast, Craigellachie!
E_F_Grant #1380 Fri Jan 03, 2003 11:01 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]I tried to do an archive search for articles on the subject of Joy. The result was that a notice came up saying that the page I am looking for does not exist. Obviously I did something wrong.</font><hr></blockquote><p>First of all I really need to know WHERE you did this search?<ul>[*]this Discussion Board?</li>[*]The Highway website?</li>[*]Theology Forum Archives? (old ones, not located here)</li>[/LIST]Once I know the answer to this then I can much better help you find what you are looking for, D.v. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/grin.gif" alt="grin" title="grin[/img]<br>

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #1381 Fri Jan 03, 2003 12:57 PM
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
It was in the theology forum archives. But I think it must have been a bit of a glitch now, since I have tried again. I subsequently got about 1700 hits, but they were mostly the word 'joy' embedded in the word 'ENjoy". I also tried doing the word 'joy' minus 'enjoy', but then got no hits.<br><br>Sorry. I'm hopeless with this sort of thing. It's a miracle I'm online at all!

E_F_Grant #1382 Fri Jan 03, 2003 4:29 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Okay..... "Theology Forum Archives" means to me that you were using the website's "Search Engine", right? And in the Search in field, you chose "Theology Forum Archives" from the drop down menu?<br><br>To limit the search to just the word "joy" or to force the search engine to search for an EXACT phrase, always include your search word/phrase in "quotes". [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/grin.gif" alt="grin" title="grin[/img] Doing this, using the Advanced Search, I got 16 hits with 291 total matches. Admittedly, some included "enjoy" in the results. But mostly it was for "joy". Also, in case you missed it, these old Archived files are [color:red]VERY</font color=red> large.... most in excess of 1 meg. So, they take quite a bit longer to load, especially if you are on a dialup connection. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/grin.gif" alt="grin" title="grin[/img]<br><br>Doing the same search but using "Main Highway" for the Search in category, I got 445 Files with 1780 total matches. So there is quite a number of possible articles that you could choose from.<br><br>Let me know if I can be of any further help with this, even if it is concerning how to use the Search Engine utility itself. [Linked Image]<br><br>

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #1383 Sat Jan 04, 2003 4:20 PM
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
OK, what I had done was search the Highway, not tthe theology forum archives. I put the word "joy" in and got a reasonable bunch of articles. However, what I was looking for was more or less an exposition on that fruit of the Spirit. In the end, what I did was type in "fruit of the Spirit" and got a relevant, but more general article by Archibald Alexander. I also went over to the Bible Bulletin Board and found a good article by Spurgeon, "Joy, A Duty".<br><br>All of this comes from a desire to understand more about grace, and joy in particular. While I can always take joy in my election and salvation, as Mr. Spurgeon encourages, I'm not very good at showing it through a quiet spirit. In fact, I think increasingly that I have a problem with anger and discontent. God has pricked my conscience through 2 Corinthians 1:12. Repentance is a messy process of losing the road, finding oneself in mud, finding a way to slog out, and then trying to remember which way the road was going, all with one's shoes filled and crusted with the earth's muck..<br><br>o well, thanks for the help!<br><br>

E_F_Grant #1384 Sun Jan 05, 2003 5:31 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Eleanor,<br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]In fact, I think increasingly that I have a problem with anger and discontent. God has pricked my conscience through 2 Corinthians 1:12. Repentance is a messy process of losing the road, finding oneself in mud, finding a way to slog out, and then trying to remember which way the road was going, all with one's shoes filled and crusted with the earth's muck..</font><hr></blockquote><p><br>This hymn is quoted in Packer's book Knowing God in the chapter These Inward Trials. The words are by John Newton. Yes, we are prone to sin, but we know who we can to go to for strength in our weaknesses and we know where where we can go to be made clean again. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile[/img]<br>Susan<br><br><center>I asked the Lord that I might grow<br>In faith, and love, and every grace;<br>Might more of His salvation know,<br>And seek, more earnestly, His face.<br><br>’Twas He who taught me thus to pray,<br>And He, I trust, has answered prayer!<br>But it has been in such a way,<br>As almost drove me to despair.<br><br>I hoped that in some favored hour,<br>At once He’d answer my request;<br>And by His love’s constraining pow’r,<br>Subdue my sins, and give me rest.<br><br>Instead of this, He made me feel<br>The hidden evils of my heart;<br>And let the angry pow’rs of hell<br>Assault my soul in every part.<br><br>Yea more, with His own hand He seemed<br>Intent to aggravate my woe;<br>Crossed all the fair designs I schemed,<br>Blasted my gourds, and laid me low.<br><br>Lord, why is this, I trembling cried,<br>Wilt thou pursue thy worm to death?<br>“’Tis in this way, the Lord replied,<br>I answer prayer for grace and faith.<br><br>These inward trials I employ,<br>From self, and pride, to set thee free;<br>And break thy schemes of earthly joy,<br>That thou may’st find thy all in Me.”</center><br><br><br><br><br>

#1385 Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:15 PM
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
Wow, beautiful....thanks! I'll have to print that out.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 98 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,512,149 Gospel truth