Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
John_C
John_C
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,787
Posts54,917
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,528
chestnutmare 3,324
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 12
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Anthony C. - Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 PM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1452 Wed Jan 22, 2003 12:22 PM
li0scc0 Offline OP
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
I wanted to inquire about the RE (Reformed Episcopal) church. Initially, as one who had attended (grudgingly) an Episcopal church, I was a bit interested in the RE denomination. However, when I actually attended, I noticed the following Romish elements:<br>1) Sign of the cross given during prayers<br>2) Crucifixes<br>3) "God in a box" (for those of you who don't know what that means, it is a little "box" on the altar where the elements -bread and wine- are kept. The statement "God in a box" refers to the Romish belief that the bread and the wine physically become the body and blood of Christ. Yes, I know there is more to it than this, but I wanted to keep it brief.)<br>4) The altar was back against the wall, with the "Priest" facing the altar, away from the congregation<br>5) Use of the word "Priest", "father", etc.<br>6) Use of the word "mass"<br><br>Frankly, #3, #4, and #6 were more "Romish" than previous apostate Episcopal (EC-USA) churches I have seen.<br><br>Additionally, about the Reformed Episcopal church in general. <br>a) John Stott teaches at their seminary. <br>b) They are attempting to "expand their witness". To this end, they acquired the AEC (Anglican Evangelical Church), an anglo-Catholic denomination that was not reformed.<br><br>Thus, the general question is this...can we even consider this a "reformed" denomination anymore (or could we ever)?<br><br>Steve

Grace is not common.
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Do they hold to the 39 articles of faith? I've met a few Episcopal Priests on PalTalk and when I mention the 39 articles they either become enraged or they mention something about having a button or two undone. (this is a reference to their black robe having thirty-nine buttons on it and unbuttoning the articles they don't subscribe to.)

Addict
Addict
I have only limited experience of this denomination. Check out their web site though.<br><br>I think you will find they do subscribe to the 39 Articles and have a mixture of evangelicals (such as Ray Sutton) and Anglo-Catholics. I was also saddened and a bit confused with tier tie-up with an Anglo-Catholic denomination. I guess you just have to take each congregation individually.<br><br>James.<br><br>PS Mike Horton was a Reformed Episcopal minister at one time, so it does have evangelicals within it.

li0scc0 Offline OP
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
My main concern wasn't that it has Evangelical members in it, but does it exclude non-evangelicals (even the EC-USA has evangelicals, although, to be honest, I have never actually seen one). Sadly, I would say this is not the case with the RE church.<br>Steve

Grace is not common.
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I am Reformed Episcopal, and even RECUSA. I'll need an explanation as to "evangelical". However, I can assure you that all the priests within our denomination are TULIP oriented, and adhere to the 39 Articles.<br><br>Sign of the cross, as far as I understand, is a matter of religious freedom. I cannot speak for the entirety of the church, but I know of no priests who would ask you to leave for not doing it.<br><br>Unsure as to the stance on crucifixes. However, I can say that the church holds tradition in high order. However, we are Sola Scriptura. Again, a matter of freedom I would assume.<br><br>God in a box-we don't hold to transubstantiation. We are probably closer to the WCF on this matter. Holding the elements in this place is again a tradition we opt to retain. We also take communion in both kinds.<br><br>Since we are not the largest denomination, each parish will arrange their furniture differently, as allowed by available space and architectural considerations.<br><br>We use the words priest and father to denote their roles. Again, tradition we opt to hold to.<br><br>Mass is also a traditional term we opt to continue to use.<br><br>Yes, we are reformed. However, if you mean more than soteriology, you'll have to explain, and elaborate. I know the church takes apostolic tradition seriously. However, we also allow for Christian freedom, and do not require people to do or hold to all the same exact beliefs we do. Please realise that I am also only a layman. I understand some of the deep ideals involved, but have only been reformed myself for about two years. You may contact any parish father or bishop for further explanation.<br><br><br>God bless,<br><br>william

#1457 Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:49 PM
Wes Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
Averagefellar,<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]I am Reformed Episcopal, and even RECUSA. I'll need an explanation as to "evangelical".</font><hr></blockquote><p>Evangelical means to present the Gospel of salvation by faith in Jesus Christ. A church that emphasizes faith in the atonement of Jesus makes it very clear that the Gospel is the power of God for salvation for everyone who believes. <br><br>William Webster writes:<blockquote>The Church and our culture are in great need of revival. If we long to see it happen we must stand against the legalism of Rome and the easy-believism of much of evangelicalism and return to the proclamation of the biblical and Reformation gospel. The Reformers preached the gospel. They were bold and uncompromising and witnessed the power of God in great revival. Wherever the true gospel is preached and given its place of primacy and priority, wonderful transformations occur in the lives of individuals. We need a new Reformation today — a return to the biblical gospel message and a commitment to its proclamation in the power of the Holy Spirit. Paul’s words are as true today as when he first penned them:<br><br>The Gospel is the power of God for salvation for everyone who believes.</blockquote>Is your church evangelical?<br><br><br>Wes<br><br>

When I survey the wondrous cross on which the Prince of Glory died, my richest gain I count but loss and pour contempt on all my pride. - Isaac Watts
Wes #1458 Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:15 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
As far as I know we are. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/cheers.gif" alt="cheers" title="cheers[/img] Our website says we are, and my parish fathers business card says we are. <br><br><br>God bless,<br><br>william

li0scc0 Offline OP
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
The main reason I brought up the points that I did is because the Reformed Episcopal denomination claims to have purged all of the Roman leaven. When the sign of the cross remains, the mass remains, the term priest remains, the altar, not the preaching, is the focus, when God is in a box and people are bowing to the elements (thus, at least outwardly, indicating that Christ is being sacrificed on the altar and the congregation is physically eating and drinking the body and blood of Christ), I have to wonder. <br>Again, this was ONE church. But this was an Anglo-Catholic church before it was Reformed Episcopal. I am simply curious as to why the Reformed Episcopal church is "acquiring" Anglo-Catholic churches, when the express goal of many of these Anglo-Catholic churches is to reunite with Rome.<br>Steve

Grace is not common.
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
You'd have to ask somebody else about that. However, restoring unity should be a concern for all of us. I'm not sure the preaching is the focus, but only a part of worship. Where does your church keep the elements? I think that to put forth that everything from Rome is wrong would be false. What do you call people in charge of your church? Where is the sign of the cross outside Christian liberty? The problem is that we all follow some type of tradition. We just prefer ours to be from the catholic church. <br><br><br>God bless,<br><br>william

#1461 Thu Mar 20, 2003 8:40 AM
li0scc0 Offline OP
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
Well, being Presbyterian/Reformed, we prefer our "tradition" to be from the Bible.<br><br>Unity must be doctrinal, not denominational. Denominational unity without doctrinal unity is hideous.<br><br>Where in the Bible is the sign of the cross?<br><br>Steve<br>

Grace is not common.
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]Well, being Presbyterian/Reformed, we prefer our "tradition" to be from the Bible.<br><br>Unity must be doctrinal, not denominational. Denominational unity without doctrinal unity is hideous.<br><br>Where in the Bible is the sign of the cross?</font><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>Well you won't mind if we ask the same of you will you Steve? Can you tell us how you keep the bread for communion? The wine? The interior of your church does it have a table in front of an empty cross? Or none at all? Why? An example of the liturgy would be nice too. Also why and how you have arranged it the way you have.<br><br>BTW just out of curiosity under what authority does the Presbyterian/Reformed denomination have to determine how the Reformed Episcopal denomination worships?

#1463 Fri Mar 21, 2003 9:58 AM
Addict
Addict
PrestorJohn,<br><br>Your first set of questions to Steve were fair and relevant points. However, when you ask: "BTW just out of curiosity under what authority does the Presbyterian/Reformed denomination have to determine how the Reformed Episcopal denomination worships?", I believe you deviated into absurdity. Steve never claimed authority to determine how they worship, he was calling into question the legitimacy of how they worship. If someone must have authority over a particular person or persons in order to call into question the biblical legitimacy of their beliefs or actions, then we might as well close this whole forum down.<br><br>Sincerely in Christ,<br><br>Jason

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Believe what you will Jason but when Steve said this:<br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]Well, being Presbyterian/Reformed, we prefer our "tradition" to be from the Bible</font><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>It appears to me that he is placing his "denomination" in authority when questioning about the Reformed Episcopal Church.<br><br>If he had said "I/We prefer my/our "tradition" to come from the Bible" then I would not have asked the question. Now I am willing to admit I may have interpreted his words wrong but I still do want an answer to all my questions.<br><br>

Last edited by Wesley; Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:21 AM.
#1465 Tue Mar 25, 2003 11:01 AM
li0scc0 Offline OP
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
No, the Bible is the authority, not the Presbyterian/Reformed churches. <br><br>You never answered where, in the Bible, is the sign of the cross, nor where, in the Bible, do you obtain authority to do what you do doing worship?<br><br>Of course I do not speak for the Presbyterian/Reformed churches, nor do the Presbyterian/Reformed churches have any right to "lord it over" the Reformed Episcopal church. Being an individual, HOWEVER, I think I have the right to ask just how "Reformed" is the Reformed Episcopal church. If nobody cares to answer that, then that is fine. I will simply go on my merry way with my uninformed opinion on the Reformed Episcopal church. If the Reformed Episcopal church wants me to think that it is basically a sister church to the Roman Catholic church, then great. <br><br>As for me mentioning Presbyterian/Reformed, you know as well as I do what I meant by that. We try to follow the Biblical mandate for worship, instead of relying on tradition. <br>That means a table, not an altar. What happens on an altar? Sacrifice. Why do we need an altar if Christ is our one-time sacrifice? And why use the word "Mass" if we are not "re-sacrificing Christ?"<br>That means no idolatrous crucifixes, hideously picturing a crucified Christ. Our Christ is risen!<br>This means that, following the New Testament example, preaching is to be the focus. <br>This means that we are not to bow to the elements of the Lord's Supper. Why bow, unless Christ is really physically in the elements? Reformed Episcopals claim not to believe in Transsubstantiation, so why bow?<br><br>There are others here with more time than I have currently who could explain the Regulative principle in detail. I am actually surprised nobody has done so.<br><br>As an FYI, I attended ANOTHER Reformed Episcopal recently while on vacation. The experience was practically the same as before.<br><br>Steve

Grace is not common.
Old Hand
Old Hand
Steve,<br><br>I am realizing more and more the necessity of having a Biblical basis for what we "do" in worship. We are in the process of looking for a church and we are realizing that we need to take a closer look at the regulative principle of worship. Can you recommend a book or perhaps and article that explains not only the general support for regulative worship (I think I have a fairly good handle on that) but also an explanation of what it "looks like."<br><br>

Trust the past to God's mercy, the present to God's love and the future to God's providence." - St. Augustine
Hiraeth
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Anthony C.), 154 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,509,838 Gospel truth