Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,787
Posts54,918
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,528
chestnutmare 3,324
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 12
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Anthony C. - Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 PM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#1750 Tue Mar 18, 2003 10:12 PM
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
Given the recent turn of events (and after enjoying Pilgrim's latest post about Hussein's obvious lies) I thought I would point out the availability of a free MP3 download from Covenant Media Foundation. One of the downloads is War, is it ever justified by Greg Bahnsen. In his usual thought-provoking and gracious demeanor he addresses a number of points in the context of the 1991 invasion of Iraq, and interestingly, the conversation includes a number of "hypotheticals" that have become relavent to us today. Dr. Bahnsen was a guest on a radio program for this message. I enjoyed every minute of it and I think others will too, even if they disagree on some of the particulars. The link also contains a message on the necessity of the Reformation, which was excellent too.

Enjoy,

Jason

Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
Jason<br><br>I wanted to listen to Greg Bahnsen on this subject, but I am not willing to wait over an hour for it to down load.<br>That is the estimated time of the download.<br><br>Tom

Tom #1752 Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:49 PM
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
Hey Tom,<br><br>Start it tonight when you go to bed and leave the computer on. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/grin.gif" alt="grin" title="grin[/img]<br><br>The file size is 15mb, even only being sampled at 22khz. I was going to downsample it and make it available to you, but I don't think it will help much, it is already pretty tight. Sorry, I guess it's painful without broadband access.<br><br>~Jason<br><br>PS - Sometimes those estimated downloads can be quite inaccurate. They are real-time estimations based upon the current transfer rate, which can fluctuate up and down depending on network congestion.

Tom #1753 Wed Mar 19, 2003 7:02 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
[Linked Image] (I be baaaaaaaad) If you really want that file, do as Jason suggested and start your download late at night and let it run. Also, you might want to try a "download accelerator" program that decreases the amount of time needed to download files by using split sites to download from and many have a "Resume" feature which allows you to start a download where it left off should you get disconnected or need to manually stop/pause the process. I'm using a registered version of "Download Accelerator" myself and it works great.

However, I finally got so fed up with dialup that I bit the proverbial bullet and bought a Satellite system, since the dialup service around here was mediocre and there is no availability of DSL, Cable or Wireless ever reaching this remote area.

Attached Images
3-19583-wdc85_proxyj.gif (0 Bytes, 77 downloads)

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
scold To go back ON-topic: Yes, war can be justified. God led the Israelites into war on numerous occasions. Now this is not to say that war is always justified. I believe that this war is, but I may be a bit biased (I have quite a few friends in Iraq). I may be wrong, but I feel I'm right (of course).

In the midst of your sadness and woe, when you are tormented and afflicted, have comfort! God's will is done.
Jason1646 #1755 Sun Mar 23, 2003 12:40 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Pastor Steve Cole also has a really great sermon entitle "Should Christians Endorse War" it was a big help in turning my views.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
So having listened to Bahnsen's response to the first time we went against Kuwait (He was against it for all of those who haven't or won't listen to the MP3) what do you think he would think of the current situation Jason?

#1757 Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:08 AM
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
Hi PrestorJohn,<br><br>I would prefer not to make a statement as to what Dr. Bahnsen would have thought, but what I can do is provide my own response as one who agrees with the basic principle he laid out. He did assert that a legitmate defensive action may be a pre-emptive strike. He also mentioned that such a pre-emptive strike would be more difficult to establish, but nonetheless justifiable with sufficient evidence. That being the case, I have to trust in my government leaders that they are being truthful and have a compelling reason to believe that Iraq intended to use their weapons of mass. destruction against our own citizens. I don't believe that I myself have sufficient access to the facts, or time invested in what facts are available, to actually make an ethical judgment on the matter. I have placed my trust in our officials and committed myself to pray for them that they make righteous decisions here.<br><br>I will respond to one other point, and that is, if the primary justification for this war is based upon Iraq's failure to abide by the UN resolutions from 1991, then I could not support our action in good conscience. I believe there needs to be a credible threat to our country itself, which I DO believe is the concern of our president, so for that reason I am optimistic in the virtue of our country's actions.<br><br>I hope that answers your question. Sincerely in Christ,<br><br>Jason

Jason1646 #1758 Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:21 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]That being the case, I have to trust in my government leaders that they are being truthful and have a compelling reason to believe that Iraq intended to use their weapons of mass destruction against our own citizens.</font><hr></blockquote><p>This I believe is the most salient point of the contention that exists between those who support the military action and those who don't. As Joe, I and others have tried to point out several times, we are not privy to the actual information which President Bush and those responsible for the welfare of this country and indeed the world, IMHO, have; and should not have. It has been publicly stated that the U.S. government DOES, in fact, have such knowledge, and upon that information they have chosen to act accordingly. When this is all over, it will become clear whether or not that information was true, false or fabricated to serve an evil intent. Although I have little confidence that any politician speaks truthfully in the majority of cases, given the seriousness of the present situation, Bush and the entire government would have to be very foolish indeed to put forth lies in order to serve a contrary agenda. If one would posit that Bush is solely concerned for his own political future, surely his decision to invade Iraq would be idiotic and contrary to that end. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/rolleyes.gif" alt="rolleyes" title="rolleyes[/img]<br><br>In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 140 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,509,872 Gospel truth