Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#3084 Sat May 17, 2003 12:40 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
This friday coming Friday I'm going to Texas for Passions One Day event. If you are not familiar with One Day it's sort of a Evan Woodstock for college students. We watched a DVD on the event and it looks pretty good. It's not (thank the Lord) a rededicationistic get together. It seems that the motive is a retreat for strength in numbers and spiritual refreshment. I know that the Pastor John Piper is speaking and he is one of my contemporary heroes of the faith. Do you guys have any information positive or negative about the event? If not please pray that this event will be God honoring and well be a much sought after break for me and my friends. I haven't retreated in two years and am in need of a good three days of refreshing consecration. I hope that sounded right. I know that retreats are a luxury for fat churches like the one in this country (Thank God). Love you all.

#3085 Sat May 17, 2003 3:59 AM
Old Hand
Old Hand
Wow! Sounds like a worthy event! I pray that the Lord would use it to your good and His glory!

Trust the past to God's mercy, the present to God's love and the future to God's providence." - St. Augustine
Hiraeth
gotribe #3086 Sat May 17, 2003 7:49 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Have a great time! By the way, I met a couple yesterday who go to Piper's church! They were in Louisville at the Southern Baptist Seminary for its graduation. They said they really like his church and that it is growing! They are meeting in two locations, and Piper alternates which site he preaches at and the other site hears him over a live telecast.

True godliness is a sincere feeling which loves God as Father as much as it fears and reverences Him as Lord, embraces His righteousness, and dreads offending Him worse than death~ Calvin
MarieP #3087 Sat May 17, 2003 3:00 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
My parents live in St. Paul about twenty minutes from Piper's church. I've seem him preach three times. He's so awesome the Prince of Preachers (maybe not).

#3088 Sat May 17, 2003 3:37 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
GASP![img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/shocked.gif" alt="shocked" title="shocked[/img] You have stolen the name given to my Spurgeon and applied it to another...How dare you! [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/rofl.gif" alt="rofl" title="rofl[/img] Just kiddin'.....kinda

#3089 Sat May 17, 2003 8:42 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I shivered with the comparison as well. That's why I added the parenthesis. CH well never be matched. Right man for the right time. It's always interesting though that after the man has been taken home the spiritual state of the country seems to fall back into ruin. I wonder why God works that way. Still the English are some of the most ungodly people in the world. Only the French I think are the most (no offense, personal opinion). Yea One Day

#3090 Sat May 17, 2003 9:34 PM
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
Piper is smoked in comparison to Spurgeon [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/grin.gif" alt="grin" title="grin[/img]<br><br>There is no comparison here. If Spurgeon were still alive and these were the only two left preaching, the only decision left, even as a Presby, would be when I moved back to England.

Reformed and Always Reforming,
#3091 Sat May 17, 2003 9:55 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand
Friend,<br><br>Would you let us know how your retreat went after you have attended it? John Piper is indeed a good preacher, and some of his books have really been a blessing to me. May the Lord bless you as you attend this retreat!<br><br>Theo

#3092 Fri May 30, 2003 2:41 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Last weekend I went to Sherman, Texas for One Day. The last weekend was one of the most trying of my life. My heart was so hard and I was so dissatisfied with what was going on with my life that I thought a retreat would be a good thing. The trip started out with miscommunication and we got out of town fairly late. We drove for twenty-four hours to Austin, Texas to meet with the brother of two of the friends that were on the trip. I was very tired by the time we arrived and was pretty disgusted with the whole thing. It was in Austin that we realized that our alternator was shot and our battery was dead. We charged the battery and made a sign that said, "HAVE CABLES NEED JUMP," as a precaution against being stranded. With the realization that we had no ability to use our lights we prayed and headed to Sherman. We listened to a very inspiring acclamation CD that began to "soften" our hearts for Passion. By the Lord's grace we made it to Sherman an hour before Sunset. As we neared Sherman we drove into the most ominous cloudbank I've ever seen. We got through registration and began to set up camp and prepare supper. It was in the midst of this that two sisters came running by warning of a huge electrical storm that was about to over take us. Not two minutes after this announcement the sky opened up and sheets of rain began to fall. After situating the campsite we crowded into the largest tent to make our plans. We decided to sit out the storm in the van and us brothers would sleep in the tent when it was time to go to bed. While we read scripture and prayed the night was being torn apart by the lightening and blistered by the thunder. Every so often we would feel the static unnerving sensation of a close strike. We finished our vigil and the two brothers and I headed to the tent. It was on our way that we were intercepted and ordered to evacuate the campsite. We had been assigned to the highest point on the farm and there was fear of the winds and lightning killing or maiming. So we went back to the van gathered the girls and headed to the assigned place. It was during a lull in the storm that I decided to go to the bathroom. I was so self-absorbed that I didn't alert anyone to my where I was going. It was as I was about to exit the Port 'a Privy that the sky opened up again for another deluge (I find it I ironic that this storm happened because the night that we arrived in LA for the Spring Break mission trip. There was also a torrential rainstorm. With the exception of one person we were a remnant of that team). I was trapped in the Port 'a Privy for about twenty minutes. Finally I became impatient and prayed to the Lord for a break. The Lord took compassion and the storm slowed to a heavy sprinkle. We then were allowed to go back to our campsite. I was admonished for not telling anyone on the team about where I was going. We walked the girls to the van and went to our tent and exhaustion over took me. By the grace of our benevolent God no one was hurt and we were purified for the event. Ever the poet I thought that I should also mention that for twenty-four hours Word was read over the field where the event would take place. The field was saturated with God's word then the rainstorm. So that was the first day. I'll write about the second tomorrow.<br><br>

#3093 Fri Jun 13, 2003 3:40 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I'm sorry that it took so long to finish this report. I moved two weeks ago and had some computer troubles. I've had a lot more time to grow and process this trip. It was very trying. The event itself was awesome and the speakers were very anointed. The one real inspiration was that I am starting the process to go to Egypt next summer and am hoping that I will end up there for the rest of my life. Two of my friends who went with broke up over the weekend but they seem to have regrouped and are going at a slower speed with God being at the helm of their relationship. Our car broke down fifty miles outside of Alberqurque (I've never been able to spell it), New Mexico. But by God's grace we were in cell phone range and were able to get lodging and were able to jerry rig the van to get home the next day. God got us back to Flagstaff at three in the afternoon only a day late. When I saw the San Francisco Peaks. The most distinctive feature of my town I felt like I was looking at Zion. It's been two weeks since that weekend. I am utterly thankful for it though. Christ has taken more of my life from me and now I look forward to my vacation to St. Louis and St. Paul this August.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,457 Gospel truth