Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,787
Posts54,918
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,528
chestnutmare 3,324
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 12
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Anthony C. - Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 PM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Newman #47109 Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:55 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by Newman
So when Peter says "they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ" he's not saying that they actually escaped the pollutions of the world? confused
Isn't that a bit of a silly question? rolleyes2 It is obviously not a matter of denying what Peter wrote, but rather a matter of interpretation of what Peter wrote. In my previous reply to you, I explained how I believe this phrase is to be understood, referencing the "Parable of the Sower". Exegetically, the CONTEXT, verses 1-21, shows that Peter isn't speaking of saved individuals whatsoever, but reprobate false prophets and false teachers, 2 Peter 2:1 (ASV) "But there arose false prophets also among the people, as among you also there shall be false teachers, who shall privily bring in destructive heresies, denying even the Master that bought them, bringing upon themselves swift destruction." And Peter goes on to describe the debaucheries and heretical things these people do and teach. Their end, says Peter "whose sentence now from of old lingereth not, and their destruction slumbereth not." (v.3) and "But these, as creatures without reason, born mere animals to be taken and destroyed, railing in matters whereof they are ignorant, shall in their destroying surely be destroyed,".

Anticipating that you will want to bring up the matter of 2Pet 2:1, specifically the phrase, "...the Lord who bought them", and thus insisting that this surely means that Christ died for them, which I expectedly and categorically deny, you might consider THIS and THIS.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #47123 Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:32 PM
AC. Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Newmie & Honcho....

There are definitely verses that appear to allude to losing salvation....but when you consider the verses that declare the total depravity of man, God's sovereignty/predestination/election and the grace of God given to man unto salvation that there is no room for boasting....I believe the award goes to perseverance of the saints over conditional salvation.....

The mercy of God is necessary not only when a person repents, but even to lead him to repent, Augustine

AC. #47125 Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:19 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
AC,

Let us not forget the ultimate focus of God's love and of those who have been recipients of that love... THE LORD JESUS CHRIST. It was and is HIS vicarious, substitutionary atonement that satisfied all the demands of the law. It was HIS ransom that paid the infinite debt of those who the Father gave Him to die for. It was HIS propitiation which appeased the wrath of God. It was HIS sacrifice that endured the punishment due to the elect of God. And, it was HE who reconciled those who were born enemies and haters of God to God.

Because the Lord Christ, through His perfect righteousness and substitutionary death, provides the perfect holiness demanded and the receiving of the punishment due for not having it, there is NOT ONE for whom He died that will be lost. Additionally, to 'seal the deal', having lived that perfect life and having died that perfect death, He also sends the Holy Spirit to apply all that He merited for His own and to preserve them, indwelling within them, to the end appointed for them.

Hear the very words of God given through the apostle Paul:

Romans 8:29-39 (ASV) "For whom he foreknew, he also foreordained [to be] conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren: and whom he foreordained, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified. What then shall we say to these things? If God [is] for us, who [is] against us? He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not also with him freely give us all things? Who shall lay anything to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth; who is he that condemneth? It is Christ Jesus that died, yea rather, that was raised from the dead, who is at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or anguish, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? Even as it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; We were accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #47126 Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:33 AM
AC. Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
YES!

I never understood how people could believe that with all Jesus went through it all comes down to our clouded, fool-hearty choice.....with all that Jesus went through it is obvious that when He died such a willing, painful, humiliating death.....it was for the thirsty & needy pilgrims of this world.......John 17
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
AC,

Let us not forget the ultimate focus of God's love and of those who have been recipients of that love... THE LORD JESUS CHRIST. It was and is HIS vicarious, substitutionary atonement that satisfied all the demands of the law. It was HIS ransom that paid the infinite debt of those who the Father gave Him to die for. It was HIS propitiation which appeased the wrath of God. It was HIS sacrifice that endured the punishment due to the elect of God. And, it was HE who reconciled those who were born enemies and haters of God to God.

Because the Lord Christ, through His perfect righteousness and substitutionary death, provides the perfect holiness demanded and the receiving of the punishment due for not having it, there is NOT ONE for whom He died that will be lost. Additionally, to 'seal the deal', having lived that perfect life and having died that perfect death, He also sends the Holy Spirit to apply all that He merited for His own and to preserve them, indwelling within them, to the end appointed for them.

Hear the very words of God given through the apostle Paul:

Romans 8:29-39 (ASV) "For whom he foreknew, he also foreordained [to be] conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren: and whom he foreordained, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified. What then shall we say to these things? If God [is] for us, who [is] against us? He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not also with him freely give us all things? Who shall lay anything to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth; who is he that condemneth? It is Christ Jesus that died, yea rather, that was raised from the dead, who is at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or anguish, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? Even as it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; We were accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

Last edited by AC.; Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:36 AM.

The mercy of God is necessary not only when a person repents, but even to lead him to repent, Augustine

Pilgrim #47129 Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:01 AM
Newman Offline OP
OP Offline
Isn't that a bit of a silly question? rolleyes2 It is obviously not a matter of denying what Peter wrote, but rather a matter of interpretation of what Peter wrote. In my previous reply to you, I explained how I believe this phrase is to be understood, referencing the "Parable of the Sower".
Silly me, I know. hairout Ok, help me out then. Maybe this is just semantics (maybe we agree but just speak differently) because I don't see how the parable of the sower proves that the people Peter is talking about were never saved. confused If those people are like the seed that fell on thorny ground...well...that seed actually became a plant with roots. True, it was eventually choked out by the thorns (ie. the pollution of the world) but we don't say that it was never a plant. It surely was.

Likewise, when Peter is talking about people who "escaped the pollution of the world" it seems that we shouldn't speak as if they had never escaped the pollution of the world. They had. Peter said so. And when people escape the pollution of the world, we call them "saved." Right?

You and others here have escaped the pollutions of the world, I would assume, and as a result call yourselves "saved."

Last edited by Newman; Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:05 AM.
Newman #47130 Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:21 AM
AC. Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hey Brian,

You raise interesting points, but as a whole how would you or the RCC in general interpret the parable of the sower, what was the central point of this parable with all it's symbolic intent?

AC

Newman #47131 Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:14 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Maybe this is just semantics (maybe we agree but just speak differently) because I don't see how the parable of the sower proves that the people Peter is talking about were never saved. confused If those people are like the seed that fell on thorny ground...well...that seed actually became a plant with roots. True, it was eventually choked out by the thorns (ie. the pollution of the world) but we don't say that it was never a plant. It surely was.
Let's look at the CONTEXT of Christ's infallible interpretation of the 'types of ground' and the results of seed (the Word/Gospel) falling on them:

Matthew 13:20-23 (ASV) And he that was sown upon the rocky places, this is he that heareth the word, and straightway with joy receiveth it; yet hath he not root in himself, but endureth for a while; and when tribulation or persecution ariseth because of the word, straightway he stumbleth. And he that was sown among the thorns, this is he that heareth the word; and the care of the world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful. And he that was sown upon the good ground, this is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; who verily beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.
Okay.... so here we have first type of ground we want to consider (the second type of ground, the first being where there was initially no understanding), i.e., the rocky ground. The seed doesn't penetrate the soil and thus there is no germination, no root is formed. Thus there is the appearance of growth, but it not a spiritual plant. We might classify this appearance as a weed, undesirable and incapable of producing any acceptable fruit. This 'weed' eventually dies because of its superficiality; no root. It cannot withstand the pressures (tribulation/persecution) of the world, that comes against those who profess faith. In short, there is no real spiritual life, no commitment to Christ which demands that one pick up his cross and follow Him.

The second (third) type of ground is the thorny ground. Here the individual 'hears the word' (externally with the ears) but there is again no real spiritual life, no commitment to following Christ, but in this case the allurements of this world and its philosophy has precedence. The result is this person abandons what he/she professed thus showing that they were never genuinely regenerated and converted.

The last type of ground is called "good", i.e., it is fertile and it allows that which was heard in the Gospel to take root resulting in a genuine change, aka: repentance and a growth in spirituality... sanctification.

Thus, I am suggesting that those individuals referenced by Peter are examples of those represented by the rocky and thorny individuals in the parable of the Sower. Again, I would recommend you read the entire chapter (2Pet 2) and carefully consider how he describes these individuals which is totally pejorative.

Likewise, when Peter is talking about people who "escaped the pollution of the world" it seems that we shouldn't speak as if they had never escaped the pollution of the world. They had. Peter said so. And when people escape the pollution of the world, we call them "saved." Right?
I am NOT denying the description of "having escaped the pollution of the world", but rather interpreting it differently than you do. I am assuming that you are wanting to understand the word "escape" as salvific. And I am saying that it is not salvific but rather a perception. These individuals made a profession and perhaps initially abstained from certain perceptible sins. But it was 1) superficial, e.g., the 'righteousness' of the Pharisees, and 2) quickly abandoned and these people's lives became even worse than what it was before they made a profession to be a follower of Christ.

You and others here have escaped the pollutions of the world, I would assume, and as a result call yourselves "saved."
Yes, this is certainly true. And what is also true is that there are those who are 'religious' outwardly, but inwardly they are yet dead in sin. Counterfeits look very much like the real thing, don't they? Even the Devil himself can transform himself to appear as an "angel of light" (2Cor 11:14). But, I seriously doubt you would say Satan was once saved and then lost that salvation, right? There are many false professors, false gospels, false spirits, false prophets, false teachers, etc., who outwardly have the appearance of being genuine.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #47132 Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:47 PM
AC. Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Pilgrim

I agree with your interp. of the parable of the sower....I really don't see how you could take it any other way.....

I would be curious to see other perpectives however....that's how we get to the 'root' smirk of these disagreements....

AC

Last edited by AC.; Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:20 PM.

AC. #47133 Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:21 PM
Newman Offline OP
OP Offline
The second (third) type of ground is the thorny ground. Here the individual 'hears the word' (externally with the ears) but there is again no real spiritual life, no commitment to following Christ, but in this case the allurements of this world and its philosophy has precedence. The result is this person abandons what he/she professed thus showing that they were never genuinely regenerated and converted.
Ok, so would you describe these people as “having escaped the pollutions of the world” or would you describe them as “appearing to have escaped the pollutions of the world?”

I am assuming that you are wanting to understand the word "escape" as salvific. And I am saying that it is not salvific but rather a perception. These individuals made a profession and perhaps initially abstained from certain perceptible sins.
I am merely saying that "having escaped" means what it says. They have escaped. You interpret "having escaped" as meaning "appeared to have escaped." They never escaped.

I wonder then why a divinely inspired Peter wouldn’t say that they “appeared” to have escaped the pollutions of the world, rather than say “having” escaped… Why do you suppose that might be? Shouldn't he have worded it differently? I mean, I can see describing the seed sown on good ground as "having escaped."

Yes, this is certainly true. And what is also true is that there are those who are 'religious' outwardly, but inwardly they are yet dead in sin. Counterfeits look very much like the real thing, don't they?
Of course. We may even deceive ourselves, no? So given all that you have said, I don’t understand how one can say “I am saved” or “we are saved” or “they are saved.” It seems not proper to speak that way.

Last edited by Newman; Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:31 PM.
AC. #47134 Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:22 PM
Newman Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by AC.
Pilgrim

I agree with your interp. of the parable of the sower....I really don't see how you could take it any other way.....

I would be curious to see other perpectives however....that's how we get to the 'root' smirk of these disagreements....

AC
I'm not sure my interp differs from yours or Pilgrim's. Maybe I've missed something, but I don't think anyhing I've seen so far would indicate a substantial difference.

Last edited by Newman; Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:41 PM.
Pilgrim #47135 Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:32 PM
Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
Pilgrim

Thank you for mentioning this, I agree with you. Perhaps I didn't pick the best verse to support what I said.

Tom

Newman #47136 Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:45 PM
AC. Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Silly me, I know. hairout Ok, help me out then. Maybe this is just semantics (maybe we agree but just speak differently) because I don't see how the parable of the sower proves that the people Peter is talking about were never saved. confused If those people are like the seed that fell on thorny ground...well...that seed actually became a plant with roots. True, it was eventually choked out by the thorns (ie. the pollution of the world) but we don't say that it was never a plant. It surely was.

Hey Brian I'll let Pilgrim handle the Peter verse because I admit that's a toughy from our POV.....

but for the parable of the sower....

God prepared the soil and planted the seed.... so the good soil represents the elect Christian that gladly receives the Word of God....while the plant in thorny ground was never prepared by God so even though it grew and may have responded to the Word for a time the plant would never remain because there was never any good soil (no regeneration)....so it was a plant but it was never God's plant...make sense?

AC. #47137 Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:07 PM
Newman Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok, I see where you're coming from. So does that mean that a tare may never plow the hard ground and become wheat?

Newman #47139 Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:51 PM
AC. Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Ok, I see where you're coming from. So does that mean that a tare may never plow the hard ground and become wheat?

well, that's a whole other parable smile

Newman #47140 Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:36 PM
AC. Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hey Brian, when taking the chapter as a whole it appears to me that 2Peter 2 is talking about false prophets and decievers who may have been taught (and have instructed others in) the way but never had spiritual life. The verse does not seem to be as potent of an endorsement of losing salvation when considering the whole chapter (unless I'm missing something?)

In fact, Peter seems to really be railing against those of whom he speaks in this chapter.....
Ok, so would you describe these people as “having escaped the pollutions of the world” or would you describe them as “appearing to have escaped the pollutions of the world?”

I am assuming that you are wanting to understand the word "escape" as salvific. And I am saying that it is not salvific but rather a perception. These individuals made a profession and perhaps initially abstained from certain perceptible sins.
I am merely saying that "having escaped" means what it says. They have escaped. You interpret "having escaped" as meaning "appeared to have escaped." They never escaped.

I wonder then why a divinely inspired Peter wouldn’t say that they “appeared” to have escaped the pollutions of the world, rather than say “having” escaped… Why do you suppose that might be? Shouldn't he have worded it differently? I mean, I can see describing the seed sown on good ground as "having escaped."

Yes, this is certainly true. And what is also true is that there are those who are 'religious' outwardly, but inwardly they are yet dead in sin. Counterfeits look very much like the real thing, don't they?
Of course. We may even deceive ourselves, no? So given all that you have said, I don’t understand how one can say “I am saved” or “we are saved” or “they are saved.” It seems not proper to speak that way.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 81 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,510,478 Gospel truth