The general work of the Spirit of God consists of two parts — the regeneration of sinners, and the edification of his people. Under the latter, several special operations of his grace are included, which are distinctly mentioned in sacred Scripture, and which may be considered separately, as examples of the connection which subsists betwixt his grace and all our duties, and as evidences of the love and wisdom with which his blessed agency is adapted to all the wants and weaknesses of our nature. It is an animating and consoling thought, that the promised grace of the Spirit has respect to every duty which we can be called to discharge, and to every change that can possibly occur in the condition, the temptations, and the trials of his people: for whether we be called to fight against our corruptions, the Spirit is our sanctifier; or to endure affliction, the Spirit is our comforter; or to choose the path of duty in times of perplexity, the Spirit is our guide; or to engage in prayer, the Spirit is the Spirit of grace and supplication; or to cultivate any one of the graces of the Christian character, they are all “the fruits of the Spirit.” So that whatever may be our duty, and however formidable the difficulties by which we are surrounded, we can look up to God on the warrant of his own Word, for the aid of that “good Spirit” who has promised “to help our infirmities,” and who says to each of his people, “I will never leave thee nor forsake thee,” “My grace is sufficient for thee, I will perfect my strength in weakness,” “As thy day is, so shall thy strength be,” “Wait on the Lord, and be of good courage, and he will strengthen thine heart; wait, I say, upon the Lord.”

Yes, there is much to rejoice over if one is a true Christian for Christ our Redeemer even before His crucifixion, death and glorious resurrection from the dead made a promise to send the Holy Spirit to indwell each and every believer so as to not leave them as orphans. It is the work of the Spirit within of which the author, James Buchanan, writes in regard to His sanctifying work. May this month's article be an encouragement to all who are God's by the regenerating work of the Spirit Who irresistibly brings every elect sinner to the LORD Jesus Christ in repentance and faith and then continues to work within to conform us into the image of that same Jesus Christ.

You can read this article now by going here: The Work of the Spirit as the Spirit of Holiness.

It can always be found, along with all past Articles of the Month on the main website The Highway.

In His service and grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]