Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#54920 Wed May 16, 2018 1:10 PM
Tina Offline OP
Plebeian
OP Offline
Plebeian
I read something today that I am not familiar with, I was wondering if there is someone who could enlighten me, please?
The following is a comment by a young woman in response to water baptism. As I read it she is saying water baptism is no longer needed!

'Acts 10:47 prohibits it, reading clearly in the original texts, 'Not the water, forbid.'

In ancient Israel, they had something called proselyte baptism if someone wanted to convert to Judaism. They had to submit to three ordinances: circumcision, water baptism, and offering two turtledoves, the prescribed offering for a newborn babe in Israel. The water baptism was called the "new birth" and the person was said to be born anew in the kingdom of God. He was then said to be a new creature or a new man upon the completion of these three rituals. Thus, he was required to turn from his old man and repent, denying self.

John 3:3,5+6 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.

Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

The man born of flesh inherits a fleshly kingdom (physical Israel) but a man born of the spirit inherits a spiritual kingdom (spiritual Israel).

A man is baptized by the one true baptism (Mt. 3:11, Gal. 3:27) Water is not the one true baptism, which could only get a man into literal Israel.

Circumcision is spiritual (Col. 2:11, Dt. 10:16), sacrifice is spiritual (Romans 12:1), and baptism is spiritual (Acts 1:5-8).

Ephesians 4:5 is clear that there is one baptism... Now is that fire or water'?

Tina #54921 Thu May 17, 2018 6:49 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
1. Acts 10:47 in the original (Greek) does not read, "Not the water, forbid". The ASV translates this verse correctly and very close to literally: "Can any man forbid the water, that these should not be baptized, who have received the Holy Spirit as well as we?"

2. Jesus taught the disciples to make disciples and baptize them into the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit:. You cannot do anything "spiritual" to someone else. Quite clearly He was commissioning them and commanding them to baptize converts with water.

3. After the ascension of Christ, the book of Acts records many examples of converts being baptized with water, e.g.,

Acts 8:35-39 (ASV) "And Philip opened his mouth, and beginning from this Scripture, preached unto him Jesus. And as they went on the way, they came unto a certain water; and the eunuch saith, Behold, [here is] water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? [And Philip said, If thou believest with all thy heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.] And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they both went down into the water, both Philip and the eunuch, and he baptized him. And when they came up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip; and the eunuch saw him no more, for he went on his way rejoicing."
There are too many examples to list here, but even a grade school student could conclude just from the book of Acts, that water baptism was practiced throughout Christendom.

4. With a few rare exceptions held by fringe individuals and groups, the overwhelming majority of professed Christian churches have held and practiced water baptism, which they have included in their confessions of faith and catechisms.

It sounds like this person has adopted some form of hyper-Dispensationalism or some other nonsensical system.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #54922 Fri May 18, 2018 3:37 PM
Tina Offline OP
Plebeian
OP Offline
Plebeian
Thank you, Pilgrim. I couldn't understand what, or why someone would post something so contrary to scripture who professes to be reformed. A Christian brother shared some of those scriptures with her, but sadly they were ignored.
I fear a heretical pentecostal has had a big influence on the person's life.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,457 Gospel truth