Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,787
Posts54,918
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,528
chestnutmare 3,324
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 12
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Anthony C. - Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 PM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#55004 Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:14 PM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
I am reading Greg Bahsen's book 'Always Ready' for the second time.
This time I noticed in the first chapter something I did not notice before.
He makes the claim that Christians should not allow their children to be educated by anyone but Christians who realize every facet of children's education must involve Jesus Christ. To do otherwise, is to try to take the position of neutrality and that is something Satan loves.
My children are grown now, but my wife and I sent our children to a secular school.
In this day and age, I am not sure we would do the same; because of how anti-Christian the public school system has become.
However, the question remains, seeing our children were taught in a secular school according to Bahsen's logic; we were irresponsible parents; regardless of how well meaning we were.
That also brings up another point. Does this rational, carry over to colleges and universities, seeing most of them are also secular?

Tom

Tom #55005 Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:55 PM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
As I was thinking about this; it crossed my mind that this line of reasoning could be why Greg Bahsen was a Theonomist.
I agree with Bahnsen that in the realm of apologetics neutrality is a myth. However, can that also be taken as far as Theonomy?
On presuppositional apologetic boards, it would seem that the majority answer yes.
If that is the case, how is this even possible in our society?
Tom

Tom #55006 Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:56 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
1. Just a reminder that you have 6 hours to edit or append to a new post or reply. grin

2. Oh dear.... another can of worms! giggle Home schooling is one of the major options if one cannot afford to send your child(ren) to a private Christian school. And as you wisely noted, "in our society" finding a truly Christian school that is grounded in Reformed theology is more than a difficult task. Some would go so far as to insist that you relocate to where there is such a school.

3. I do like home schooling but my view which has been strongly rejected is that it is not always possible to home school children for 2 major reasons:
a. If both parents are working,
b. some parents are not able/qualified to home school due to a lack of their own education and/or they might not have the intellectual ability to do so.

4. Yes, Bahsen's Theonomic Reconstructionism definitely is at least part of his reasoning. God's perfect providence is actually the deciding factor in this matter. The "ideal" may not be possible realistically. And I think it is a shame that someone would shame parents for not educating their own children or send them to a private Christian school. This is no different than someone wanting to find a truly biblical and theological sound church near where they live. In today's world, it is too often the case that one doesn't exist near them. I know of several OPC ministers/elders who insist that it doesn't matter what kind of church is available. It is your responsibility to attend some church regardless of what it is, e.g., Methodist, Pentecostal, Seventh Day Adventist, or even Roman Catholic. Scripture is perspicuous on this matter and forbids a Christian to put himself/herself under the ministry of a false teacher.

FYI, Dr. Paul Elliott has an excellent series on false teachings and apologetics which you can access here:

Part 1: Confronting Counterfeit Revelation: 1 - Understanding the Nature of False Teaching

Part 2: Confronting Counterfeit Revelation: 2 - A Wrong Emphasis in Apologetics

Part 3: Confronting Counterfeit Revelation: 3 - Why Today's Epidemic of Spiritual Counterfeits?

Last edited by Pilgrim; Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:21 PM. Reason: Addended

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #55008 Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:08 PM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
Pilgrim
I know a German family that moved to Canada for 3 reasons. 1.They did not like what the public school system taught. 2. In Germany it is illegal to home School. 3. In Germany, parents are considered caretakers of their children; the government owns them. The 3rd one is one I am trying to find out if it is true.

Thank you for the 3 articles, they emphasize how important sola-scriptura is.

Tom

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 67 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,511,495 Gospel truth