Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#56773 Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:52 AM
Tom Online Content OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Online Content
Needs to get a Life
As many of you are aware, Churches are splitting over whether we should obey government lockdown prodigals or not.
For example, in Baptist Churches, who hold to the 1689 LBCF, there are a few schools of thoughts when it comes to this issue.
One school of thought are what I will call the founders viww on the issue that is held by people like Samual Waldron. Who believe the government has crossed the line in their authority and therefore the Church must disobey them and meet anyway.
Others say, no the government has yet to crossed the line and therefore we should obey these guidelines.
I have a friend was in training to become an elder took the first view and ended up withdrawing his membership over the issue. There was actually a Church split over the issue.
I have other friends in that Church and although they understand the other side.
They believe strongly that this is a secondary issue and therefore the split should not be happening.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tom

Head Honcho
Head Honcho
My thoughts..... I take the position that the government has no authority to regulate the gathering of the Church. And, to differ is a non-essential matter of doctrine and there is no warrant to severe association, especially given that Baptists have no official confessional regulation since they all agree on the independence of the local church, i.e., no denominational ties that would bind the consciences of its members. Seems simple enough to me. grin

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Tom Online Content OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Online Content
Needs to get a Life
Yes, it is true Baptist Churches are independent; yet in this case they hold to the 1689 LBCF and I had thought up until recently they had the same understanding of the 1689 LBCF that people like Samuel Waldron holds to.
My friend and others that left the Church over the issue, agree with the understanding of the Confession that Samuel Waldron and Founder Ministries members such as Tom Ascol.
However, both the elders said on this issue they disagree strongly with the understanding of Samuel Waldron. He was so adamant about the issue, he said if the majority disagreed with him, he would resign.

As I have already said, this issue caused a Church split and my friend who was an elder in training, stopped training and eventually left the Church over the issue. Saying that if he had known the elders believed these things, he would not have even become a member in the first place.

Tom

Head Honcho
Head Honcho
So where are the two "sides"? Where does Waldron stand and where do the disagreeing elders stand?

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Tom Online Content OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Online Content
Needs to get a Life
Waldron believes that the local Church needs to disobey government and meet, just like Grace Life Church pastored by Pastor James Coates in Edmonton.

Tom

Head Honcho
Head Honcho
yep I would agree with that, although I certainly wouldn't take James Coates' mannerisms or responses. jawdrop

Again, IMO, this issue should NOT even be considered as one that would divide a local church. The Apostles were commanded to cease and desist in their preaching, but they obeyed God rather than man. And as you know, there are other examples in Scripture of like disobedience to the authorities by believers when the authorities demanded something God forbid or when the authorities forbid something that God commanded. In all cases, the believers were willing to take the consequences of their actions/disobedience. It is also permitted to resist the government when it violates its own law(s). wink

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Tom Online Content OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Online Content
Needs to get a Life
Pilgrim

What did you dislike in Coates mannerisms?
I have been following the story and he spent 1 month and 6 days in jail and from what I have heard he was very respectful to the authorities.
There is a Calgary pastor, that sure was not very respectful though.

Concerning dividing; when people dislike the pastor’s response at doing everything
the government says, i.e. video Church (or small groups) instead of meeting together. Especially when many Churches in the same denomination meet regardless of the government’s lockdowns.
You are going to get many including my friend who left the Church.

Tom

Last edited by Tom; Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:55 AM.
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Right...... I stand corrected. It was that other pastor who yelled, screamed and called the police Nazis, etc.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,457 Gospel truth