Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,787
Posts54,918
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,528
chestnutmare 3,324
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 12
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Anthony C. - Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 PM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#56950 Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:25 PM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
Is there an easy way to show someone with very limited
knowledge of the Bible, that the word “foreknowledge” as in how it is used in Romans chapters 8 & 9, means fore-loved as in an intimate sense?

So far, my explanations are going right over the person’s head.

Tom

Tom #56951 Sat Sep 04, 2021 2:05 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
John Gerstner has an excellent explanation of this issue; the various meanings of "foreknowledge" in his address given at the PCRT Conference 1978 which I attended. The transcript can be found here: TULIP

And, here is the relevant section:

Originally Posted by Gerstner
Fasten your seat belts for a moment, and brace yourselves for what is going to sound like absolute, unmitigated dogmatism. What that word, foreknew means is: whom He fore loved; whom He fore owned; whom He fore chose as His own. That doesn’t sound like foreknowledge does it? Not in the ordinary use of the English language. But you see unfortunately, you see we don’t have two words in the English language to distinguish mere information about, and actual communion with. We use one word for two ideas. And unfortunately here, clearly the idea is not, not in the sense to have information about, but actually love for and communion with. And all I have to do is remind you, as my wife reminded me I didn’t remind them in Pittsburgh last week, is that the Bible uses language that way all the time. The Lord knows the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked shall perish. Now doesn’t the Lord know the way of the wicked, as well as, the way of the righteous, as far as having perfect information is concerned. When that says the Lord knows the way of the righteous, in a way that He doesn’t know the way of the wicked, this isn’t talking about not having information about, but not having love for. When Christ slams that door in the foolish virgins face, who refuses to admit that after that unfortunate pleading, far from me I never knew you, of course He didn’t intimate that for a moment He isn’t acquainted with them—He never owned them as His.

At the last judgment, you shall say, so haven’t I prophesied in they name; haven’t I cast out devils in thy name; haven’t I done mighty works in thy name? Depart from me ye workers of iniquity, I never knew you. He knows them so well, He designates them as workers of iniquity when He says I never knew you. You see my friends what that golden chain means is, whom God for loved, He predestinated to a very special benefit, here spelled out as: calling; justification; and glorification. And so it comes to pass that God having foreknown, fore loved, foreordained, unconditionally elected, certain persons that the purpose of the atonement comes into sharp focus.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #56952 Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:27 PM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
This is good.

Is there anything from the context and meaning in the applicable passages that show what is actually meant
by the word “Foreknowledge” or “foreknow”.

Tom #56953 Sat Sep 04, 2021 6:36 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by Tom
Is there anything from the context and meaning in the applicable passages that show what is actually meant
by the word “Foreknowledge” or “foreknow”.
Yes, if one properly exegetes the passage. IF <-- "foreknew" is simply prescience (knowledge about), then what would have been that knowledge about those individuals that precipitated God to predestinate them, consequently call them, justify them and finally glorify them? scratchchin And, if there was something God perceived in them, then most importantly 1) salvation must be of works and not grace, 2) God is not omniscient for before He allegedly perceived that whatever was of those individuals, that knowledge was unknown to God. Oh, and don't forget to include another salient question concerning God's "prescience"... where did these individuals come from? Did not God create them and determine their beginning and their end? Are you beginning to see the impassable problems if one defines "foreknew" as simply knowledge about? Ephesians 1 certainly answers the question concerning those whom He foreknew. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 78 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,511,125 Gospel truth