Donations for the month of December

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,320
Posts53,347
Members965
Most Online523
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,071
Tom 4,077
chestnutmare 3,087
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,820
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 21
Pilgrim 16
Meta4 5
Robin 2
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Progressive Christianity
by DiscipleEddie - Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:36 AM
Nero
by Meta4 - Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:56 PM
Spurgeon
by Pilgrim - Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:06 PM
Gracious High Priest
by NetChaplain - Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:05 PM
A Discourse on the Cleansing Virtue of Christ's Blood
by Pilgrim - Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:44 AM
Renewed Strength
by chestnutmare - Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:56 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#57034 Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:27 PM
OP Offline
Every true servant is sent forth from the immediate presence of the Father, with all its holiness and all its grace; and he is called to be holy and gracious—he is called to be the reflection of the grace and holiness of the divine character; and in order that he may be so, he should not only start from the Father’s presence, but abide there, in spirit, continually. The spiritual man alone can understand the meaning of the two things, “go forth and do,” and, yet never leave. In order to act for the Father outside, I should be with Him inside—ever in the secret sanctuary of my Father’s presence (Eph 2:6; Col 3:3—NC).

The Lord Jesus referred to Himself as “He that came sown from heaven, even the Son of man who is in heaven” (John 3:13 – the last portion of this passage is omitted in the modern inferior translations—NC). Very many fail on this point. There is the danger of getting out of the solemnity and calmness of the divine presence, amid the bustle of the world and the excitement of active service. This is to be guarded against. If we lose that hallowed tone of spirit which is expressed in “the unshod foot” (Jer 2:25), our service will soon become vapid and fruitless (but never our salvation—NC). If I allow my service to get between my heart and my Father, it will be of little worth.

We can only effectually serve the Lord Jesus as we are enjoying fellowship with Him. It is while the heart dwells upon His powerful attraction that the most acceptable service is performed in His name; nor is there anyone who can share the Lord with freshness and fruitfulness to others, if he be not feeding upon Him, in the secret of his own soul. True, he may preach a sermon, utter prayers, write a book and go through the entire routine of outward service and yet not share Him. The one who will present Him to others must be occupied with the Lord Jesus for himself.

Happy is the man who ministers thus, whatever be the outward success or reception of his ministry. For should his work fail to attract attention, to command influence, or to produce apparent results, he has his blessed retreat and his unfailing portion in the Lord Jesus, of which nothing can deprive him. Whereas the one who is merely feeding upon the fruits of his ministry, who delights in the gratification which it affords, or the attention and interest which it produces, is like a mere pipe, conveying water to others and retaining only rust for itself. This is a most deplorable condition to be in; and yet it is the actual condition of that servant who is more occupied with his work and its results, than with the Lord Jesus Christ and His glory.

This is a matter which calls for the most rigid self-judgment. The heart (old man—NC) is deceitful and the enemy is crafty (2Co 2:11); and hence there is great need to hearken to the word of exhortation, “Be sober, be vigilant” (1Pe 5:8). It is when the soul is awakened to a sense of the varied and manifold snares which beset the servant’s path that it is, in any measure, able to understand the need there is for being much alone with the Father: it is there in His presence that one is secure and happy. It is when we begin, continue and end our work in our Father’s presence that our service will be of the right kind.

“For this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might show forth all long-suffering, for a pattern to them who should hereafter believe on Him to life everlasting” (1 Tim 1:16).

– C H Mackintosh (1820-1896)

The Christian life is not our living a life like Christ, or our trying to be Christ-like, nor is it Christ giving us the power to live a life like His; but it is Christ Himself living His own life through us; 'no longer I, but Christ.’” -MJS
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by NetChaplain
Every true servant is sent forth from the immediate presence of the Father, ...
Could you please expand on this statement? I'm not familiar with any text that teaches that "Every true servant" on this earth has stood before the actual "presence of the Father" and who has been personally commissioned by the Father directly. (Joh 6:46; Ex 33:20; Deut 4:12; Matt 11:27; Lk 10:22; et al)

Thanks for your response. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
Every true servant is sent forth from the immediate presence of the Father, ...
Could you please expand on this statement? I'm not familiar with any text that teaches that "Every true servant" on this earth has stood before the actual "presence of the Father" and who has been personally commissioned by the Father directly. (Joh 6:46; Ex 33:20; Deut 4:12; Matt 11:27; Lk 10:22; et al)

Thanks for your response. [Linked Image]
Your question is valid considering the way it reads, but the author, like the writers of Scripture often utilize the method of "hyperbolic expression," a trait well known and understood by most Biblical commentators. I've learned that the explanation of this type of expression (hyperbolic) varies among theologians (along with "necessary inference") depending upon the text.

As we know, no earthly being in the physical body can literally be in "the Father's presence," as "flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God" (1Co 15:50). Thus to me, it's in reference to when we are praying

Concerning "personally commissioned by the Father directly," I take this to be in relation to one of the Lord Jesus' commands (Mar 16:15).

The Christian life is not our living a life like Christ, or our trying to be Christ-like, nor is it Christ giving us the power to live a life like His; but it is Christ Himself living His own life through us; 'no longer I, but Christ.’” -MJS
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Your question is valid considering the way it reads, but the author, like the writers of Scripture often utilize the method of "hyperbolic expression," a trait well known and understood by most Biblical commentators.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. 'Hyperbolic Expression' is sometimes used in communication by humans to make a point, but unfortunately, the hyperbole isn't the 'whole' truth. But what I find rather objectionable is that there is the appearance of justifying the phrase referred to (in the very presence of the Father) by making a comparison with the bolded type (emphasis mine) in the quote. The writers of Scripture wrote the words of the Spirit of God which are 'absolute truth', an expression made popular by Dr. Francis Schaeffer. In other words, there are no hyperbolic expressions in the Bible. Nothing in Scripture goes beyond truth which is impossible on its face. Context brings the proper understanding of God's written revelation which takes some effort at times (cf. 2Pet 3:16).

Concerning "personally commissioned by the Father directly," I take this to be in relation to one of the Lord Jesus' commands (Mar 16:15).
ALL 'commissions' to true believers, post resurrection, by God are done by the Holy Spirit and not the Father, albeit they are one in essence and purpose. Of course, the one exception was the Apostle Paul.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Thanks for taking the time to respond. 'Hyperbolic Expression' is sometimes used in communication by humans to make a point, but unfortunately, the hyperbole isn't the 'whole' truth.
I think our understanding of a hyperbole differs, which is ok of course. Examples are Mat 17:20; 23:24; Luk 14:26, etc.

Yes, and others--Mat 28:19; Jhn 20:21

Not sure what you mean here: ALL 'commissions' to true believers, post resurrection
Appreciate your replies and comments!

Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Not sure what you mean here: ALL 'commissions' to true believers, post resurrection
Simply that all true believers who are, for example, called to the gospel ministry in some form, are done so by the Spirit of God working in that individual's mind and soul. This is not to be construed that God the Spirit actually speaks verbally and directly to that individual, but rather through guidance, the Scriptures and secondary means. (I'm a cessationist) Before Christ's resurrection, He commissioned His disciples personally. But thereafter, having promised to send them and all true believers "another comforter/advocate", i.e., the Holy Spirit who would dwell within them, it is He the Spirit who does that work. And, as I mentioned before an exception was the Apostle Paul (Gal 1:10-12; Acts 9:3-6).

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
OP Offline
Simply that all true believers who are, for example, called to the gospel ministry in some form, are done so by the Spirit of God working in that individual's mind and soul. This is not to be construed that God the Spirit actually speaks verbally and directly to that individual, but rather through guidance, the Scriptures and secondary means. (I'm a cessationist) Before Christ's resurrection, He commissioned His disciples personally. But thereafter, having promised to send them and all true believers "another comforter/advocate", i.e., the Holy Spirit who would dwell within them, it is He the Spirit who does that work. And, as I mentioned before an exception was the Apostle Paul (Gal 1:10-12; Acts 9:3-6).
I see, I thought you meant after our resurrection. I too, and most of Christendom are cessationists. Thanks, for the explanation and God bless!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 34 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
DiscipleEddie, atdcross, NetChaplain, winslowlady, Zach
965 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
December
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,303,920 Gospel truth