Donations for the month of May

We have received a total of "$25" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Rick Bates
Rick Bates
Charlestown, R.I. US
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,501
Posts53,910
Members969
Most Online523
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,207
Tom 4,210
chestnutmare 3,198
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,835
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 20
Pilgrim 14
jta 12
John_C 4
Recent Posts
Children and Vaccines
by Tom - Sun May 22, 2022 11:50 PM
The Love of God ~ John MacArthur
by Rick Bates - Sun May 22, 2022 5:36 PM
I am mute; I do not open my mouth,
by chestnutmare - Sun May 22, 2022 3:36 PM
“You can’t Legislate Morality”
by Tom - Sat May 21, 2022 2:28 PM
Love is not a rule, but a motive.
by chestnutmare - Fri May 20, 2022 1:04 PM
Travel
by jta - Fri May 20, 2022 7:04 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#57212 Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:46 AM
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
For the Christian, once we have learned that all of God’s chastisements (trials) are for learning, and never for punishment arbitrarily (Heb 12:10), believers can ever rest assured in “the peace of God, which passeth all understanding” (Phl 4:7). We, knowing that our path is often difficult realize all is for “instruction” and guidance (and continues to manifest learning even from our sin nature). Also, considering that all is used “for good to them that love God” (Ro 8:28), there shouldn’t be anything of which to keep us “troubled” and “anxious” (John 14:1, 27; Phl 4:6); especially upon considering the admonishment (or command) of “casting all your care upon Him” (1Pe 5:7)!

The souls of individuals are influenced mostly by the human nature (“old man”), so much so that apart from rebirth, it “rules” and “dominates” the soul’s decisions (Ro 6:12, 14). Only the Christian has two natures, and it’s the a new nature (“new man” - Eph 4:24; Col 3:10) which makes one a “partaker of the divine nature” (2Pe 1:4) and is what controls Christians (Rom 7:22; Eph 3:16); and as one Bible commentator explains concerning the partaking of Christ’s divine nature—“not essentially, or of the essence of God, so as to be deified, this is impossible, for the nature and perfections of God are incommunicable to creatures; nor, hypostatically and personally, so as the human nature of Christ, in union with the Son of God, is a partaker of the divine nature in him; but by way of resemblance and likeness, the new man or principle of grace, being formed in the heart in regeneration, after the image of God, and bearing a likeness to the image of his Son, and this is styled, Christ formed in the heart” (Gal 4:19 - J Gill; https://www.christianity.com/bible/commentary/john-gill/2-peter/1 ).

As it should be well known, only those who do not apostatize manifest the indwelling of the Spirit of God, for He alone insures believers in avoiding departing from the doctrine of the Christian faith; and what they depart from is only the doctrine of faith and not faith itself, demonstrating the absence of the “work” of God (Phl 2:13) in the soul. The Spirit of the Father and of Christ is the primary source of Christians assurance of being “the children of God” (Ro 816)—He being the Creator of the new Life (Jhn 3:3, 5, 6, 8; Tit 3:5) and Author of the Word of God (2Ti 3:16; 2Pe 1:21).

It is the “new man” or new nature—“which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness” and “is renewed in knowledge after the image of Him that created it” (Eph 4:24; Col 3:10) that God uses to keep us from willing after the “old man” or original nature (hence not sinning willfully - Heb 10:26; Ro 7:17, 20). I believe this answers to the “seed” (new man), by which believers “do not” and “cannot sin” (1Jn 3:8, 9), e.g. “So then with the mind I myself (new man) serve the law of God; but with the flesh (old man) the law of sin” (Ro 7:25). Thus our sins continue to derive from the old man, and the righteousness from the new man; and it’s comforting to know we are no longer considered to be after the old man (Ro 8:9)!

The Christian life is not our living a life like Christ, or our trying to be Christ-like, nor is it Christ giving us the power to live a life like His; but it is Christ Himself living His own life through us; 'no longer I, but Christ.’” -MJS
NetChaplain #57215 Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:25 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Sorry, I must disagree with the idea (which you have posted in another 'devotional' here) that the Christian consists of two separate natures. This is a 'fringe' view held by some but the majority view is that a human being, regenerated or not, consists of one nature. In regeneration, the nature/soul of man is 'born again', i.e., the corrupt nature which all possess at conception, inherited by God's punishment upon fallen Adam, being spiritually dead, is enlivened by the sovereign work of the Holy Spirit. This new nature which possesses the inclination to love God and to do all that is good according to God's perfect law exists along side a remnant of the original sinful inclinations which wars against the new spiritual inclinations. In process of sanctification, this new spiritual inclination (nature) begins to dominate over the old corrupt/sinful inclination (nature), but never fully dominates. The full victory over the old nature/man is only to be realized after death in glorification. (cf. Rom 6:6ff; 7:14ff; Eph 7:17-24, et al)

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #57220 Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:08 PM
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
Sorry, I must disagree with the idea (which you have posted in another 'devotional' here) that the Christian consists of two separate natures.
The reason why I believe the new nature is an additional and dominating nature, and that the old nature is still present is because crucifixion only restrains its damning and dominating power, but not its presence and activities.

I would think that if it were eradicated the Spirit wouldn't continually be opposing it in us (Gal 5:17) and Paul would not have demonstrated a dichotomy of the two natures. The old nature is not changed because "it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be" (Rom 8:7). Though the old nature is in us and still affects us with attempts to delay growth in Christ, we are no longer "in" it (Ro 8:9).

The Christian life is not our living a life like Christ, or our trying to be Christ-like, nor is it Christ giving us the power to live a life like His; but it is Christ Himself living His own life through us; 'no longer I, but Christ.’” -MJS

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 70 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Cliniql, John E, ManassehAmerican, jta, DiscipleEddie
969 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,341,940 Gospel truth