Paul wrote that "by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ", Rom. 5:1; but Paul seems to be anything but peaceful in Romans 7. Can we have peace in Christ and also at the same time wrestle with the sinful self?

"Now if I do what I do not want, I agree that the law is good. But in fact it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me." (Rom 7:16-17 NRSV)

"Wretched man that I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death?" (Rom 7:24 NRSV)

"Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with my mind I am a slave to the law of God, but with my flesh I am a slave to the law of sin. There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death." (Rom 7:25 - 8:2 NRSV)

Some Christians seem able to ignore their imperfections and it takes a 2X4 up beside their head to get their attention to their/our fallen nature in our daily life. But on the other hand, there seem to be those Christians of a very sensitive nature who seem unable to have real peace with God, for they are painfully aware of every sinful tendency in their life. There seems to be three general ways this is approached by believers, who we accept are truly born from above.

The Wesley Arminian sees perfection as possible for Christians, and therefore they are always working for salvation, while claiming grace.

The follower of 'easy believism' appears to ignore totally the sin in their life, which may be gross; but they still claim assurance of salvation because of an acceptance of Christ at some time in the past.

The Calvinist/Covenant believer in viewing works as evidence of one's salvation seems to in a subtle way be akin to the Wesleyan who is always striving, and working for salvation. A sensitive Calvinist may never have the assurance promised in John's epistles, and find himself also working for salvation:

"Now by this we may be sure that we know him, if we obey his commandments. Whoever says, “I have come to know him,” but does not obey his commandments, is a liar, and in such a person the truth does not exist; but whoever obeys his word, truly in this person the love of God has reached perfection. By this we may be sure that we are in him:: (1John 2:3-5 NRSV)

Thoughts or comments from the brethren? Does assurance of salvation depend to some degree on a believer's nature or personality?