Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
John_C
John_C
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,787
Posts54,917
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,528
chestnutmare 3,324
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 12
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Anthony C. - Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 PM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Pilgrim #6186 Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:23 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I've learnt much here Pilgrim in the short time I've been on the Highway, for which I thank you.

Teachability ? From an unregenerate punk to a jw , arminian dispy , antipeadobaptist and today a Calvinist in a short space of time ?

If I'm not teachable , then , quite frankly , no one is.

A real live church is what I need , with deacons , elders etc ,etc , but as yet............

howard

#6187 Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:24 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Huh?<br><br>And what exactly was that "OK" reply to CovenantInBlood?

True godliness is a sincere feeling which loves God as Father as much as it fears and reverences Him as Lord, embraces His righteousness, and dreads offending Him worse than death~ Calvin
MarieP #6188 Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:27 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Ta is thanks and ok is ok<br><br>howard

#6189 Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:43 PM
Veteran
Veteran
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]A real live church is what I need , with deacons , elders etc ,etc , but as yet............</font><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>Philippians 4:19- "And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus."<br><br>I don't believe God would leave us without believers to fellowship with. If there truly is no church "suitable" for you, why not form a group that meets together for worship and fellowship?

True godliness is a sincere feeling which loves God as Father as much as it fears and reverences Him as Lord, embraces His righteousness, and dreads offending Him worse than death~ Calvin
MarieP #6190 Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:51 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I meet a couple of brothers a few times a week. We are hoping and praying for a church plant but there are not enough folk in the area into the WCF to make it possible as yet.<br><br>I want to re-locate but that is just not going to happen for a while.<br><br>howard

#6191 Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:54 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Ok I didn't know what "ta" was, and I'd thought you would give more of a response to the posts.

#6192 Sat Oct 04, 2003 12:58 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand
Howard,
In reply to:
May I respectfully suggest you read in the Church Locator forum the thread Southern England +WCF.
Nothing has changed in the 3 months since posting .

I have in fact read that thread, and quite honestly, what seems not to have changed is your immediate resistance to nearly every positive exhortation you receive.

In reply to:
If I'm not teachable , then , quite frankly , no one is.

Our church received a family several years ago. The father was a policeman who, just being awakened to the doctrines of sovereign grace from a false gospel, could not find adequate fellowship near his home. He drove his young family the equivalent of Bournemouth to London every Sunday for several months so that he could feed on the Word in communion with, and under the supervision of, a living church. No one thought it would be their permanent home, due to the distance, and in fact the Lord later directed them to a solid church they had not known of much closer to home. But during their months with us this gentle soul had many agonizing hours of discussion and prayer with several of us. This man's approach, Howard, unlike your own as evidenced in these posts, was teachable. When he asked a question, he listened to the response, without [color:red]cavilling, as you are prone. When I offered him Packer's Essay to read, he devoured it and thanked me for it, without [color:red]tearing it to shreds as you did. That attitude, Howard, is "teachability".

[color:blue]"Your boasting is not good."

Howard, before all else, you need to be in a church. You dismissed out of hand every suggestion that was given you. If you need to drive the 100 miles to be in a good church, do it, believing that the Lord will make it worth your while, and give you further directions later. But you cannot continue to defend your "teachability" and remain apart from the care of the church.

In Christ,
Paul S
Paul_S #6193 Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:18 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
That was not boasting Paul. <br><br>What have I got to boast about apart from The Lord Jesus Christ .<br><br>The Holy Spirit led me from "there" to "here" if you did but realise.<br><br>howard

#6194 Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:30 PM
Veteran
Veteran
You claim to be teachable, and yet by your actions you display that you are not.<br><br>First, if you were teachable, you'd admit you were wrong about the early church not meeting on Sunday. I will ask again: What do you think "first day of the week " means?<br><br>Secondly, you have not responded, except for saying "Ta" and "Ok," to any of our exhortations on the necessity gathering for corporate worship.<br><br>Why is it that you cannot find a church that is already founded in your area? Is it because you think you cannot fellowship with people who differ over the "minors" of doctrine?

MarieP #6195 Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:41 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
THEN WHO OR WHAT HAS TAUGHT ME WHAT I KNOW ???????????

#6196 Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:51 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
In reply to:
THEN WHO OR WHAT HAS TAUGHT ME WHAT I KNOW ???????????

The answer is not a singular one, which it would appear you are expecting, eh? There are some/many things which the Spirit has brought to your knowledge and planted in your heart. But there are other things which are clearly NOT of God but of man..... and not necessarily men who are holding to the truth in one or more areas. It is also so important to realize that "knowledge" is not simply that which is embraced with the intellect. There is an "experimental knowledge", which is the resulting change in one's affections, desires and walk; aka, the "Fruit of the Spirit"; being conformed to the image of Christ, being made a partaker of the divine nature. There are several passages of Scripture which speak to this; a couple which come to mind most quickly are:

Colossians 1:9-10 (KJV) "For this cause we also, since the day we heard [it], do not cease to pray for you, and to desire that ye might be filled with the knowledge of his will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;"

2 Peter 1:4-8 (KJV) "Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge; And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness; And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity. For if these things be in you, and abound, they make [you that ye shall] neither [be] barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ."
Perhaps you could devote some time to the truths contained in these two passages of Scripture and in self-examination.

In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
#6197 Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:02 PM
Veteran
Veteran
I Corinthians 2:1-16<br><br>1 And when I came to you, brethren, I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God. <br>2 For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. <br>3 I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling, <br>4 and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, <br>5 so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God. <br>6 Yet we do speak wisdom among those who are mature; a wisdom, however, not of this age nor of the rulers of this age, who are passing away; <br>7 but we speak God's wisdom in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God predestined before the ages to our glory; <br>8 the wisdom which none of the rulers of this age has understood; for if they had understood it they would not have crucified the Lord of glory; <br>9 but just as it is written,<br> "THINGS WHICH EYE HAS NOT SEEN AND EAR HAS NOT HEARD,<br> AND which HAVE NOT ENTERED THE HEART OF MAN,<br> ALL THAT GOD HAS PREPARED FOR THOSE WHO LOVE HIM." <br>10 For to us God revealed them through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God. <br>11 For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God. <br>12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God, <br>13 which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words. <br>14 But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised. <br>15 But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no one. <br>16 For WHO HAS KNOWN THE MIND OF THE LORD, THAT HE WILL INSTRUCT HIM? But we have the mind of Christ. <br><br><br>From Matthew Henry's Complete Commentary on the Whole Bible<br><br>http://bible.crosswalk.com/Commenta...mhc-com.cgi?book=1co&chapter=002

Pilgrim #6198 Sat Oct 04, 2003 2:06 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Thank you Pilgrim . Your advice will be taken on board - once again.<br><br>I 'm off to eat humble pie (with tabasco sauce ).<br><br>howard

#6199 Sat Oct 04, 2003 3:22 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"] just wanted to know , from the Bible ONLY about the day change .</font><hr></blockquote><p>Exactly, as I asked earlier, the list of canonical books, from SolO Scriptura. Thank you.<br><br><br>God bless,<br><br>william

MarieP #6200 Sun Oct 05, 2003 2:19 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I have Henrys commentary thanks. <br><br>howard

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Anthony C.), 154 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,509,838 Gospel truth