Donations for the month of May

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,792
Posts54,932
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,464
Tom 4,533
chestnutmare 3,325
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,867
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Pilgrim 11
Tom 10
John_C 1
Recent Posts
American Election
by Pilgrim - Sun May 05, 2024 7:03 AM
Nouthetic Counseling
by Pilgrim - Sun May 05, 2024 6:55 AM
N.T. Wright
by Pilgrim - Fri May 03, 2024 6:47 PM
The Righteousness of God - Horatius Bonar
by Pilgrim - Wed May 01, 2024 7:44 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:50 AM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#6201 Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:40 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
As I said earlier - Off topic ? Start a new thread ?<br><br>howard

#6202 Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:20 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Because it's your level of evidence I wish to know, and why it applies differently tothe day we worship on. I also want to point out the absurdity of your SolO Scriptura tendencies.<br><br><br>God bless,<br><br>william

#6203 Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:43 AM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Hi Howard,<br><br>Just my two cents worth here..Sunday is the first day of the week when looking at a calendar, but that's about the end of it. Socially and culturally, Sunday is the last day of the week...that's why we call it the weekEND!<br><br>Blessings to you this Lords Day!<br><br>Hannahsmom

Tom #6204 Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:21 PM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
So far nobody has answered my original question, they have talked about the Lord's days, but they haven't answered my question, which was:<br>"Would you go as far as what these confessions say on the Sabbath? Why or why not?"<br><br>In case you didn't understand my question, the context of the question can be found in the words:" It would seem from this reading (particularly the word "recreation") that on the Sabbath, we shouldn't even do things like take our family on a picnic."<br><br>Tom<br>

Tom #6205 Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:29 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Tom,<br><br>What do YOU think? Do you think taking your family on a picnic is included in what the WCF says concerning the Sabbath, i.e., the day should be spent in worship (corporate implied), works of mercy and necessity? Would riding a motorcycle 100 miles to visit a relative you haven't seen in ages be acceptable?<br><br>In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #6206 Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:43 PM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
Actually I think going on a picnic could possibly an act of worship that would all depend on what one did during the picnic.<br><br>I will say however that I have only recently begun looking into this topic in detail. Though I don't know the practices of the people on the board when it comes to Sunday, I personally don't know anyone that follows to the degree that these confessions say.<br><br>That of course doesn't necessarily mean they are correct however, the Bible should be the standard for that.<br><br>Tom<br>

Tom #6207 Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:12 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]Actually I think going on a picnic could possibly an act of worship that would all depend on what one did during the picnic.</font><hr></blockquote><p>We must acknowledge that all that we do in life is in one sense, "an act of worship" (Rom 12:1). However, on the Lord's Day corporate worship is what is enjoined by example in the Scriptures. This is simply to point out that one cannot substitute other acts of "daily worship" for corporate worship. There is nothing inherent in a picnic that would exclude it from being done on the Sabbath, IMHO. But as you said, it would depend upon the intent of going on a picnic and what one actually does during the picnic. I would put picnics in the same class as taking a nature walk or like activities where one could admire God's creation and offer up praise. These things can easily be used in other ways which would be contrary to the intent of the Lord's Sabbath.<br><br>As I pointed out to Howard further down in this thread, there are far too many churches and individuals who have created a list of DON'Ts and far too little that have seriously thought about the things which one can DO on the Lord's Day, e.g., visiting the elderly and infirmed, counseling inmates in prison, feeding the poor, having a hymn-sing, etc. The guidelines set forth in Scripture are broad compared to the Pharisaical rules and regulations devised by man. They are: corporate worship, works of mercy and necessity. Generally, there is no limit to how man can find ways to participate in recreation and work to gain income. But why is it no so when it comes to spending one day in seven to worship the Lord and to do those things which the Lord Christ did on the Sabbath to help those less fortunate in this world? [Linked Image]<br><br>The Sabbath is a day in which we are to delight in God. Why is it a day which the vast majority of people find boring unless they are "vegging out" or playing games? [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/scratch.gif" alt="scratch" title="scratch[/img]<br><br>In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
#6208 Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:51 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Start a new thread called - The Absurdity of howards SolO Scriptura tendencies.<br><br>howard The Absurd.

Hannahsmom #6209 Mon Oct 06, 2003 3:01 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Sunday IS the first day of the week .<br><br>The LAST day of the week is Saturday . <br><br>There is NO "weekend " in CREATION .<br><br>Just a thought............. please dont create about it !<br><br>howard

Tom #6210 Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:18 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Tom , how about Augustines maxim -: Praise God and do what you please . ?<br><br>howard

#6211 Mon Oct 06, 2003 5:37 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I recently did start a thread on SolO Scriptura. It can be found in the Theology section, or you may simply click here. <br><br>http://www.the-highway.com/cgi-bin/...d&sb=5&o=&fpart=<br><br>I didn't include you, personally, as it is a problem within much of Christianity lately, it seems. <br><br><br>God bless,<br><br>william

#6212 Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:06 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
It looks pretty personal to anyone reading it.<br><br>howard

#6213 Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:00 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]It looks pretty personal to anyone reading it.</font><hr></blockquote><p>Well Howard, all I can say is that being "pretty personal" is to be preferred to being "ugly personal"!! [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif" alt="laugh" title="laugh[/img]<br><br>I would venture to say that non-personal things rarely make any impact on people. It is those things which stand in your way and in your face that make one stop and take notice. It would also seem to me that many of the literature you send out is of that type too, if I recall. I never take offense at such things but appreciate that they do cause me to THINK! [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/ponder.gif" alt="ponder" title="ponder[/img]<br><br>Those who are most easily offended usually have a pride problem. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/wink.gif" alt="wink" title="wink[/img]<br><br>In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
#6214 Mon Oct 06, 2003 11:40 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Indeed it does, if you got that problem. Would you rather I never addressed it again, because it affects you? Or is it an area that needs reflection upon for ALL people? I say the latter, and I hope it does become personal to those who have such a problem.<br><br><br>God bless,<br><br>william

Tom #6215 Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:42 PM
Tom,<br><br>Thanks for starting a very interesting thread! The whole question of the Lord's Day is one that has caused me a lot of thought in recent months.A book which deals with your question, and much more, and which is also very easy to read is The Lord's Day, by Joseph A. Pipa. I found it a great help.<br><br>Yours in Him.<br>Brian.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 108 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,515,166 Gospel truth