Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,787
Posts54,914
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,456
Tom 4,525
chestnutmare 3,324
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 11
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:49 PM
David Engelsma
by Tom - Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:41 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#8436 Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:13 AM
Old Hand
Old Hand
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]There are many times when I wish I was more like that.</font><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>Me, too.<br><br>

Trust the past to God's mercy, the present to God's love and the future to God's providence." - St. Augustine
Hiraeth
#8437 Fri Dec 05, 2003 11:30 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
You know you're a one note song Howard everything doesn't revolve around Infant Baptism. Its unbelievable to me how you can take a conversation like denominations and intellect and drag it to Infant Baptism!

I thank God that I baptized none of you, except Crispus and Gaius, (1 Corinthians 1:14)

Think about that Howard. He was thanking God he didn't baptize any of the Corinthians. Could it be that Baptism isn't as important as you want to make it?

By the way Nathan I'm sure Pilgrim and I can run rings around you any day of the week. Depending on what the activity is of course. Twenty years ago I got my kicks doing full contact karate. Now I may do Tai Chi but I still can come up to speed. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/gramps.gif" alt="gramps" title="gramps[/img]

#8438 Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:08 AM
Tom Online Content
Needs to get a Life
Online Content
Needs to get a Life
I personally like preaching or teaching that is intellectual enough to make me think, but not so intellectual as to go right over my head.<br>Occasionally I like to read someone like John Owen, but I only do so when I am wide awake and have time to read the odd sentence a couple of times to make sure I understood it. I shall be eternally grateful to Dr. JI Packer for his introductory to Owen's The Death of Death... it helped me immensely. <br><br>Tom<br>

#8439 Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:43 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
If Baptism is as important as I want to make it, then why did the antipaedobaptists split the chuch some 500 years ago ?<br><br>Baptists began this divide - you would do well never to forget this tragic fact . I certainly wont .<br><br>BTW , one should not take scripture out of context as you have done . I suggest you read all of 1 Corinthians for the context . Otherwise I could retort with the next but one verse where Paul baptised the HOUSEHOLD of Stephanas. But of course I would never do that !<br><br>I have a Christian friend who gave up Karate and Tai chi when he was saved as he believed martial arts to be evil . I shall ask him for more detail if you are interested.<br><br>howard

#8440 Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:23 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]I have a Christian friend who gave up Karate and Tai chi when he was saved as he believed martial arts to be evil.</font><hr></blockquote><p>Why not ask ME? [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif" alt="laugh" title="laugh[/img] I studied in quite a number of the Martial Arts with both Japanese, Korean, and Western Sensies for over 25 years. I taught Martial Arts to State Police and local law enforcement officers, in schools and to private individuals. Without reservation, I can tell you that there is NOTHING even remotely "evil" about Martial Arts. When I hear stuff like that I cringe!! [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/drop.gif" alt="drop" title="drop[/img]<br><br>When I attended one of Paisley's churches, this was the type of Pharisaical legalism that was taught. In fact, it is the OFFICIAL position of that denomination. For example, all card playing is EVIL. All consumption of alcohol is EVIL. All and any form of dancing is EVIL. etc., etc. ... ad nauseam! [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/puke.gif" alt="puke" title="puke[/img] In fact, the OFFICIAL position of the denomination is that ANYTHING... yes ANYTHING can be added to the list as EVIL if so deemed by the elders of the church. Did you know, Howard, that you can and would be excommunicated from one of these churches for playing "Old Maid" with your children should you refuse to repent of this practice? Did you know that you could and would be excommunicated from one of these churches should you ever drink a glass of wine and not confess that it was a vile sin and vow to never do it again? Yes, this is factual. I had a personal conversation over these matters with one of their more respected pastors who revealed these things to me.<br><br>Be very wary of the Devil's devices who would not only tempt you to violate the moral law of God but to add to it. Actually, if you were to think about this, the temptation to ADD to God's law was antecedent to the temptation to break it. (cf. Gen 3:1) [Linked Image]<br><br>In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #8441 Sat Dec 06, 2003 2:05 PM
Persnickety Presbyterian
Persnickety Presbyterian
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]Why not ask ME? I studied in quite a number of the Martial Arts with both Japanese, Korean, and Western Sensies for over 25 years. I taught Martial Arts to State Police and local law enforcement officers, in schools and to private individuals. Without reservation, I can tell you that there is NOTHING even remotely "evil" about Martial Arts. When I hear stuff like that I cringe!!</font><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>To be fair, though, there is a lot of Eastern philosophy involved with the martial arts in general. A friend of mine is a blackbelt, and was taught all sorts of ideas that are clearly unbiblical.

Kyle

I tell you, this man went down to his house justified.
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
I agree that there is some teaching of the Martial Arts that DOES include false teachings of several different kinds. But, the Martial Arts, by themselves, may easily be taught without having to delve into whatever the philosophy of the day is. It is just like cooking. You can cook the old fashion way or join Zen Cooking, where cooking can be one of the most sensual and transcendent activities we ever experience and where may enter the creative "flow" and gain a complete focus on the activity of cooking. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/rofl.gif" alt="rofl" title="rofl[/img]

Reformed and Always Reforming,
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]To be fair, though, there is a lot of Eastern philosophy involved with the martial arts in general.</font><hr></blockquote><p>If by this you are simply saying that some of the beliefs or reasons given to explain how one obtains the "power" Ki etc., is often grounded in Buddhism, Taoism, etc., that is true, if you were to study from someone who was trained in the "old school". I did have several teachers who were very strict and adhered to the "Budo" tradition. However, when I was told by my Akido sensei that the power flows from "mother earth" up through my body and out my hands, I was under no obligation to accept that explanation. I realized that there was a very good physiological explanation and there was no need to embrace the animistic tradition handed down.<br><br>However, what I am referring to is the physical aspect of the Martial Arts, which has no inherent "evil", as can be said with playing cards, alcohol, etc. One is not taught to summon demons or some extraterrestrial being for strength etc. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif" alt="laugh" title="laugh[/img] In fact, I used the classes I taught as an opportunity to share the gospel with my students. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/wink.gif" alt="wink" title="wink[/img]<br><br>In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
J_Edwards #8444 Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:19 PM
Persnickety Presbyterian
Persnickety Presbyterian
Joe,<br><br>I agree. But most martial arts studios that I've seen advertised do teach the philosophy as well.

Kyle

Pilgrim #8445 Sat Dec 06, 2003 3:21 PM
Persnickety Presbyterian
Persnickety Presbyterian
Pilgrim,<br><br>I agree that the physical aspect is not evil. But from your own experience you know that philosophy often goes hand in hand. In my experience, most martial artists begin training as children, and at that point of development, it seems to me it would be especially prudent to avoid the vast majority of martial arts studios.

Kyle

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Well Kyle I can put your mind to rest, the instructor I had was a Christian he didn't teach any of the "philosophy" behind the art but instead showed how that the movements corresponded to basic physics and kinetics. There was no zen instruction.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Kyle:<br><br>While I agree with, Pilgrim, Joe and Prestor that martial arts instruction doesn't necessarily involve easter philosophical instruction, I also agree with you that this is an area the adversary can and does frequently use to gain a foothold in the minds of children and youth, not to mention unbelieving adults, and it is wise to be on guard against this aspect of the activity as well, in my opinion, to warn the young in the faith and unbelievers of where it could lead the unwary. To do otherwise it seems is to ignore the apostle's warning to "be sober, be on the alert, your adversary....."<br><br>In Him,<br><br>Gerry

#8448 Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:16 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Amen to that Prestor!! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] <br><br>

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #8449 Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:32 PM
Wes Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
Pilgrim,<br><br>Some how this thread has turned from brains to brawn. When I look at all the images in your post it looks more to me like a gym than a church. If you're going to excercise martial arts how you gonna hold your song book?<br><br> [Linked Image] <br><br><br>Wes [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/grin.gif" alt="grin" title="grin[/img]

When I survey the wondrous cross on which the Prince of Glory died, my richest gain I count but loss and pour contempt on all my pride. - Isaac Watts
Wes #8450 Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:39 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]Some how this thread has turned from brains to brawn</font><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>This raises yet another question in my young and curious mind. When we come up against someone who disagrees with our theology is karate', tai chi or the Scriptures our best defense. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/rofl.gif" alt="rofl" title="rofl[/img] [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/rofl.gif" alt="rofl" title="rofl[/img] [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/rofl.gif" alt="rofl" title="rofl[/img] I'm just kidding everyone...please don't send hate mail, and if you do....let's step offline and I'll teach you to mess with me! [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/grin.gif" alt="grin" title="grin[/img]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Tom), 115 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
chestnutmare, hdbdan
Popular Topics(Views)
1,509,657 Gospel truth