The Highway
Posted By: ATulipNotADaisy What love? - Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:11 PM
I Corinthians 13

What love (charity) is this passage speaking of? Is speaking of love of the Law? Or is it speaking of agape love..i.e. a lack of self-interest which proceeds out of a heart of care and concern for others, a love that endures as God's does for us, steadfast, loyal, faithful? Isn't Paul emphasizing the fact that gifts exercised without love are useless?
Posted By: Pilgrim Re: What love? - Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:20 PM
The latter! grin CONTEXT is your friend. Of course, anyone who is truly regenerated loves the law of God. But context is about relationships that are "driven" by self-denial and by a true love and concern for others. Is someone suggesting that the passage is speaking specifically about loving the law? scratchchin
Posted By: ATulipNotADaisy Re: What love? - Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:22 AM
Yes, I could never understand how the conclusion was drawn that 1 Corinthians 13 meant "love of the law" and not a love and concern for others.
Posted By: Pilgrim Re: What love? - Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by ATulipNotADaisy
Yes, I could never understand how the conclusion was drawn that 1 Corinthians 13 meant "love of the law" and not a love and concern for others.
EISOGESIS

Posted By: Rick Bates Re: What love? - Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:07 PM

Yes, Eisogesis ( a reading into a verse or context a predetermined false view or twisting the scripture to say something it is not saying ). I Cor. 13 is obviously stating what is said about a love and concern
for others as said by ATulipNotADaisy, but ravenous wolves in sheep's clothing are in the pulpits of many churches who profess to know Christ, but, alas, Christ is not in them, for Jesus never knew them. I thank God for this site where the truth is proclaimed and if something is posted the Administrator challenges the scripurality of the post if it doesn't line up with the Bible.
Posted By: ATulipNotADaisy Re: What love? - Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Rick Bates
Yes, Eisogesis ( a reading into a verse or context a predetermined false view or twisting the scripture to say something it is not saying ). I Cor. 13 is obviously stating what is said about a love and concern
for others as said by ATulipNotADaisy, but ravenous wolves in sheep's clothing are in the pulpits of many churches who profess to know Christ, but, alas, Christ is not in them, for Jesus never knew them. I thank God for this site where the truth is proclaimed and if something is posted the Administrator challenges the scripurality of the post if it doesn't line up with the Bible.

I couldn't agree with you more!
This site is a treasure trove of information and blessings in many ways.
© The Highway