The Highway
Posted By: janean Favorite Hymn CD/Tape? - Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:36 AM
Can any of you recommend to me some good CDs or tapes of good/favorite hymns that I can purchase and where I can purchase them?
Thanks!!
Posted By: Pilgrim Re: Favorite Hymn CD/Tape? - Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:45 AM
Quote
janean said:
Can any of you recommend to me some good CDs or tapes of good/favorite hymns that I can purchase and where I can purchase them?
Sorry for being "old fashioned" [Linked Image] but I don't have any of those on CDs or cassette tapes. But I do have several on vinyl records. <img src="/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif" alt="" />

The two that I will recommend and perhaps they are now on CD are from the RPCNA (Covenanters). They are two albums of the Psalms sung, of course, a capella. Again, I'll apologize and confess that I don't know where you can find them, although a quick search on [Linked Image] should turn up something. <img src="/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif" alt="" />
Posted By: jfschultz Re: Favorite Hymn CD/Tape? - Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:06 PM
Quote
Pilgrim said:
Quote
janean said:
Can any of you recommend to me some good CDs or tapes of good/favorite hymns that I can purchase and where I can purchase them?
Sorry for being "old fashioned" [Linked Image] but I don't have any of those on CDs or cassette tapes. But I do have several on vinyl records. <img src="/forum/images/graemlins/laugh.gif" alt="" />

The two that I will recommend and perhaps they are now on CD are from the RPCNA (Covenanters). They are two albums of the Psalms sung, of course, a capella. Again, I'll apologize and confess that I don't know where you can find them, although a quick search on [Linked Image] should turn up something. <img src="/forum/images/graemlins/grin.gif" alt="" />

I have a couple of their records too (Power of Praise and Sing a New Song). They are based on the Book of Psalms for Singing.

Check out www.psalms4u.com for a large list of metrical psalm CD's. Sing a New Song is a re-issue of one of their old vinyl records. His Mercy Fills The Earth is a selection drawn from three of their vinyl records which are selections that were included in the "Trinity Psalter."
Posted By: gotribe Re: Favorite Hymn CD/Tape? - Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:36 PM
I love Handel's Messiah. It's scripture set to music.
Posted By: MarieP Re: Favorite Hymn CD/Tape? - Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:20 PM
Ligonier has a great assortment of CDs. The Church Triumphant 2 CD set by Stuart Neill is excellent!!!


I also like Red Mountain Music and Indelible Grace.
Posted By: Adopted Re: Favorite Hymn CD/Tape? - Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:17 PM
gotribe,

Our small choir sang the Halleluiah Chorus from Handel's Messiah on Easter. We stood as is the custom from King James, and I'm afraid I could not stop my tears of joy.

Denny

Romans 3:22-24
Posted By: doulos Re: Favorite Hymn CD/Tape? - Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:02 PM
Thanks for that Red Mountain link. What style is this?
Posted By: D.J. Re: Favorite Hymn CD/Tape? - Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:35 AM
Check out this site. They have a huge selection and you can preview the songs.
Posted By: Wes Re: Favorite Hymn CD/Tape? - Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:17 PM
Dave,

Thanks for providing that link. When I opened it up I noticed a book entitled "Why I Left the Contemporary Christian Music Movement" written by a former Worship leader. I wonder if you or anyone else on the-highway has read this book. We have frequently discussed the topic of what music is appropriate in worship services. I wonder if this book is worth a look.


Wes
Posted By: janean Re: Favorite Hymn CD/Tape? - Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:59 PM
I haven't read this book, but I've seen the title before and was curious myself about it. I don't mean to vear too off the subject, but I can tell you first hand myself, especially after visiting churches now in the past several weeks, that experiential contemporary worship is definately "in". One thing I don't like that has become popular, because of the technology we have, is that the screen up front has not only has the words for the songs but has a moving, flowing background picture or scene that one has to stare at while singing. This was brought into our prior church and I never liked it. It is just a detraction to me. Even at the SBC church we've been at for the last 4 weeks is a little too contemporary for me. They sing some hymns there, but there's still too much "band" up there for me and the hymns are "contemporized". But at least they don't have the "experiential" screen experience there. Well I might have to give up on what I would like for worship in whatever church we go to next.
Tomorrow is a big change of pace. Since we are church shopping I asked to go visit the OPC church (the only one around is 15 minutes away). We actually know some people there, so that's a plus. Not sure what my husband reaction will be there. I don't think we'll be finding the screen experience there either, so that's a plus too.

All said, this issue just makes it that much harder to find a good church.

The reason I put this question up for the hymn CDs, is that I would like to play them at home more for my boys to hear. WMBI used to play hymns/classical music in the early evening hours and it was great. Well guess what has now replaced this - more contemporary christian music!! I was really bummed when they did this!
Thanks for the links for the hymn/psalm music.
Posted By: D.J. Re: Favorite Hymn CD/Tape? - Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:36 AM
Quote
Wes said:
I wonder if you or anyone else on the-highway has read this book.
I never read it, but it sounds interesting. I noticed it was endorsed by John Blanchard. I wonder if it's the same John Blanchard who wrote Ultimate Questions?
© The Highway