I participated in Halloween growing up and so did my wife, but we decided we will not let our son participate. This issue was discussed a couple years ago with some Christian co-workers where I work. These were some of my observations regarding Halloween.

[*] Halloween has become a HUGE commercial business. Some cities even have Halloween "super stores". I found this from an article on the History Channel's web site: “Today, Americans spend an estimated $6.9 billion annually on Halloween, making it the country's second largest commercial holiday.” I can think of numerous God glorifying ways that $6.9 billion could be spent.
[*] This day is also reserved for countless acts of vandalism; from seemingly innocent acts of toilet papering homes to throwing eggs and up to arson (i.e. Devil's Night in Detroit, MI). I did a Google search on: “Halloween “crime prevention”” and got 122,000 hits.
[*] Many of the masks and costumes are gorier, more wicked, and more realistic looking.
[*] This day also makes light of death. Should believers lampoon death?

* Given all of these facts about Halloween, does God delight in these things?
* Should we take part in a day that promotes the above attributes?
* Does Satan delight that this day has evolved into “innocent fun for kids”?
* If our children do not participate in this, are they really missing out or are fond memories of our childhood getting in the way?
* Are we truly setting ourselves apart from worldly desires by taking part in Halloween?

I remember a few years ago when Halloween landed on a Sunday. The church I attended at the time canceled Sunday evening study so parents could take their kids out for trick or treating! Is trick or treating more important than Christian fellowship and Bible study?

I also believe that by not participating, it provides an excellent witnessing opportunity at work and other places because co-workers and others will surely ask what my son will dress like for Halloween. This opens a door to tell them my Christian beliefs and why I don't participate.