Originally Posted by Pilgrim
John,

It really isn't a "new interpretation" (there is nothing new under the sun) although it has Wright's own personal 'twist'. The theological Liberals have embraced this type of an idea for years. Basically, it is a view that promotes political and social reform with the goal of transforming society (the world) for Christ. Wright's 'twist' is that it will have eternal consequences. In this book, which admittedly I haven't read and have no desire to read, he also promotes his heretical views on Hell, which is similar to C.S. Lewis, Rob Bell, Tim Keller, and a few other popular individuals who deny retributive justice where God's eternal wrath is poured out on the ungodly in both body and soul.

It's interesting that you brought up the social gospel. In the same discussion that this was brought up in, Lesslie Newbigin was mentioned (promoted) quite a bit. I was at the time (and still mostly am) unfamiliar with him, but from the little I've read recently, he seems to be associated with the social gospel. I was unable to find whether he espoused the view that Wright does concerning the future of our works. Do you know much about Newbigin? I did not read enough to know how orthodox he is, but I did notice that he seems to have gained in popularity in 'reformed' circles.

What makes books like this so dangerous is that there is an element of truth in them. In this case, Wright, from what I understand, does a decent job of expounding on the subject of the resurrection. My unwavering advice, with all such books, is that unless someone is wanting to know what such writers believe for the purpose of critiquing them and then denouncing them, one should avoid them at all cost. flee

You'll get no argument from me here. There are too many great and sound books to read to waste much time sifting through books separating the wheat and the chafe.