Based on these portions of Jefferson's letter (featuring a perverted view of Christianity), is it surprising that there exists ideologues behind the scenes conspiring to produce a more perfected form of humanity (transhumanism coupled with eugenics)?

I have lately by accident got a sight of a single volume, (the 3d.) of the Abbé Barruel’s ‘Antisocial conspiracy,’ which gives me the first idea I have ever had of what is meant by the Illuminatism, against which ‘illuminati Morse’ as he is now called, and his ecclesiastical & monarchical associates have been making such a hue & cry.... Wishaupt seems to be an enthusiastic Philanthropist...he is among those (as you know the excellent Price and Priestly also are) who believe in the indefinite perfectibility of man...he thinks he may in time be rendered so perfect that he will be able to govern himself in every circumstance so as to injure none, to do all the good he can, to leave government no occasion to exercise their powers over him, & of course to render political government useless...this, you know is Godwin’s doctrine, and this is what Robinson, Barruel & Morse have called a conspiracy against all government. Wishaupt believes that to promote this perfection of the human character was the object of Jesus Christ...that his intention was simply to reinstate natural religion, & by diffusing the light of his morality, to teach us to govern ourselves. his precepts are the love of god & love of our neighbor..and by teaching innocence of conduct, he expected to place men in their natural state of liberty & equality. he says, no one ever laid a surer foundation for liberty than our grand master, Jesus of Nazareth...he believes the Freemasons were originally possessed of the true principles & object of Christianity, and have still preserved some of them by tradition, but much disfigured. the means he proposes to effect this improvement of human nature are ‘to enlighten men', to correct their morals & inspire them with benevolence.
-Thomas Jefferson to Bishop James Madison, 31 January 1800

This is why we are well served maintaining a pilgrim's mentality with a rational, skeptical eye toward bad news and big solutions.

Last edited by Anthony C.; Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:54 PM.