Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,788
Posts54,920
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,529
chestnutmare 3,325
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 13
John_C 1
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:50 AM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#28530 Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:44 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
speratus said:
No, I don't think you mean to do that. You have an inconsistant Christology, a Christ with a dual personality. The human nature and the divine nature of Christ have one personality, Impeccability, or else there would be two persons. The divine nature appropriating to itself human mortality does not split the personality of the person.

So you think the Council of Chalcedon (451 A.D) was wrong when it wrote:
http://reformed.org/documents/index.html?mainframe=chalcedon.html
one and the same Christ, Son, Lord, Only-begotten, recognized in two natures, without confusion, without change, without division, without separation; the distinction of natures being in no way annulled by the union, but rather the characteristics of each nature being preserved and coming together to form one person and subsistence, not as parted or separated into two persons, but one and the same Son and Only-begotten God the Word, Lord Jesus Christ;

From the Westminster Confession:
http://www.gpcredding.org/wcf.html#C8
So that two whole, perfect, and distinct natures, the Godhead and the manhood, were inseparably joined together in one person, without conversion, composition, or confusion. Which person is true God, and true man, yet one Christ, the only Mediator between God and man.

Were they wrong to say the Divine and human natures did not combine?

#28531 Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:25 PM
Persnickety Presbyterian
Persnickety Presbyterian
Mutatable human properties of mortality/immortality and human peccability/impeccability never become divine properties. In the hypostatic union, the divine nature appropriates to itself human mortality not human immortality, peccability, or impeccability.

So the human property of mortality never becomes a divine property; meanwhile, the divine nature appropriates human mortality??? You've simply contradicted yourself.

No, I don't think you mean to do that. You have an inconsistant Christology, a Christ with a dual personality. The human nature and the divine nature of Christ have one personality, Impeccability, or else there would be two persons. The divine nature appropriating to itself human mortality does not split the personality of the person.

The human and divine natures of Christ are distinct, but not separate personalities: there are two natures in the one Person.

Kyle

I tell you, this man went down to his house justified.
#28532 Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:49 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Johnnie_Burgess said:
speratus said:

So you think the Council of Chalcedon (451 A.D) was wrong when it wrote:
http://reformed.org/documents/index.html?mainframe=chalcedon.html
one and the same Christ, Son, Lord, Only-begotten, recognized in two natures, without confusion, without change, without division, without separation; the distinction of natures being in no way annulled by the union, but rather the characteristics of each nature being preserved and coming together to form one person and subsistence, not as parted or separated into two persons, but one and the same Son and Only-begotten God the Word, Lord Jesus Christ;

From the Westminster Confession:
http://www.gpcredding.org/wcf.html#C8
So that two whole, perfect, and distinct natures, the Godhead and the manhood, were inseparably joined together in one person, without conversion, composition, or confusion. Which person is true God, and true man, yet one Christ, the only Mediator between God and man.

Were they wrong to say the Divine and human natures did not combine?

The Definition of Chalcedon is correct but your understanding of it is incorrect. To say that each nature according to its own properties does not act in communion with the other nature is to divide and separate the person contrary to scripture and Chalcedon.

From the Formula of Concord, SD, Person of Christ
Secondly, as to the execution of the office of Christ, the person does not act and work in, with, through, or according to only one nature, but in, according to, with, and through both natures, or, as the Council of Chalcedon expresses it, one nature operates in communion with the other what is a property of each.

The Reformed writer, Philip Schaff, confirms this understanding of Chalcedon, in his Creeds of Christendom, Volume I.
From his section on the Creed of Chalcedon
The following are the leading ideas of the Chalcedonian Christology as embodied in this symbol:. . .
4. The duality of the natures. The orthodox doctrine maintains, against Eutychianism, the distinction of nature even after the act of incarnation, without confusion or conversion, yet, on the other hand, without division or separation, so that the divine will ever remain divine, and the human ever human, and yet the two have continually one common life, and interpenetrate each other, like the persons of the Trinity.

Last edited by speratus; Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:38 AM.
Peter #28533 Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:02 AM
Plebeian
Plebeian
Yes I believe God died. Because
if God did not die for us .We would die in our sin's With out the forgivness; God truly won for us on the cross.
It is not just wels or our sister synod the els but also the clc and missouri and many other conservative lutheran synod's. because
It is in the bible and the lutheran confession's of 1580 that are drawn from the bible .
I just recently read in my bible .

"You have crucified the Lord of Glory"

Last edited by packsaddle; Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:27 AM.

Chief of sinner's though I be, Jesus still died for me.
packsaddle #28534 Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:24 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
packsaddle said:
Yes God died.
Would you care to comment on what Paul wrote here:

1 Timothy 1:17 (ASV) "Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, [be] honor and glory forever and ever. Amen."

If "God died", then who was governing the universe in His absence? scratch1

In His grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #28535 Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:46 AM
Plebeian
Plebeian
answer to Your question
We believe God is to be God.
even if we poor Lutheran's can not comprehend his truth's.
we believe both statements are true.
God died that good friday. and yet God rules .

the lutheran faith is different than the reformed faith .

In matter's that go beyound our human understanding we are taught to hold our reason captive to God's word.
Roman's 11:33-36
2 corinthians 10:8
1 corinthians 1:19

packsaddle #28536 Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:02 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
packsaddle,

Yes, I can agree with you that the Lutheran faith, at least on this matter is far different than the Reformed faith. We hold that there are things beyond our comprehension. But this does not mean that we cast off all reason nor particularly in this case, to accept blatant contradiction. Scripture doesn't contradict itself, but man's "wisdom" too often contradicts the Scripture. Nowhere does it say in the Bible that "God died". But it clearly says that God is "immortal", "eternal", i.e., incapable of dying. Such phrases as "the Lord of Glory" refer to the God-man, Christ Jesus, but that isn't synonymous with God, for the Lord Jesus Christ was God incarnate; both God AND man.. Therefore, since the Scripture is perspicuous in stating that God is immortal, i.e., God cannot die, then it was the human nature of the Christ which died and certainly not God. It's one thing to confess, and rightly so that there are some things in Scripture that are beyond human reason, e.g., infinity. However, we do not embrace irrationality nor illogical premises. grin

In His grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #28537 Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:07 AM
Plebeian
Plebeian
smile

Pilgrim

But we lutherans believe you are the ones at fault on The two natures of Christ . after all we believe it is the calvanistic / zwingli error of rationalism that makes you jump to your conclution's .Rather we hold to Gods word.
Lutherans believe if reason could understand the truths of the Gospel, faith would be unnecessary.

God's blessing's

Pilgrim #28538 Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:46 AM
Plebeian
Plebeian
What the reformed see as blatant contradiction
we Lutherans see as Gods wonderful "''paradoxical truth's"'.

the reformed study of scripture has alway's been a "critical study of God's word."
The parts they see as contradictory they dress up with human rationalism to make them more platable to their intelect.

but All the articles of our Lutheran christian faith are so difficult and so high that no man can hold fast to them without the grace of the Holy Spirit . Take any article of our faith and hold fast to it with reason, and you will retain nothing of it . The Holy Ghost must be Master and Teacher, or nothing will come of it.
for reason twists Scripture according to its pleasure.

Our Lutheran christian faith however is much rather a stepping out into the darkness, where there is no “proof” in the ordinary sense of the term, but only a word of the Lord which is infinitely better and more certain than all the rational proofs in the world. Faith is something done to us rather than by us.

Gods blessing's

Last edited by packsaddle; Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:09 AM.

packsaddle #28539 Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:07 AM
Peter Offline OP
Old Hand
OP Offline
Old Hand
packsaddle said:
What the reformed see as blatant contradiction
we Lutherans see as Gods wonderful "''paradoxical truth's"'.

the reformed study of scripture has alway's been a "critical study of God's word."
The parts they see as contradictory they dress up with human rationalism to make them more platable to their intelect.

but All the articles of our Lutheran christian faith are so difficult and so high that no man can hold fast to them without the grace of the Holy Spirit . Take any article of our faith and hold fast to it with reason, and you will retain nothing of it . The Holy Ghost must be Master and Teacher, or nothing will come of it.
for reason twists Scripture according to its pleasure.

Our Lutheran christian faith however is much rather a stepping out into the darkness, where there is no “proof” in the ordinary sense of the term, but only a word of the Lord which is infinitely better and more certain than all the rational proofs in the world. Faith is something done to us rather than by us.

Gods blessing's

Yeah, yeah must be nice to dismiss things out of hand just because you can't answer them. Paradoxical truths! Truth isn't paradoxical.

Peter

If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself. Augustine of Hippo
packsaddle #28540 Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:58 PM
Journeyman
Journeyman

Heb 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

If evidence is an important constituent of faith and (none would argue) that evidence is an important constituent of reason, how can you then have faith without reason?

That which is not rational (having reason) is confusing. God is not God of confution but of peace. (1 Cor 14:33). Thus if not confusion then order, which you cannot have peace without. You cannot have order with out structure. You cannot have structure without relations. You cannot have relations without reason. Can you have reason without logic?

Peter #28541 Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:15 PM
Plebeian
Plebeian
God Died for us.

as it is written 1 Cor. 2, 8: They have crucfied the Lord of glory. And Acts 20, 28: We are purchased with God's blood.

many Lutherans prefer to sing this version On good friday . saddly in the 1941 Lutheran hymnal verse 2 was changed to God's son is dead. Manny of us dislike that version. and continue to sing it a more scriptual way..

"O Darkest Woe" Unadulterated version by Johann Rist, 1607-1667, Lutheran hymnal
Text: Acts 3:15

1. O darkest woe! Ye tears, forth flow! Has earth so sad a wonder? God the Father's only Son Now is buried yonder.
2. O sorrow dread! Our God is dead! But by His expiation Of our guilt upon the cross Gained for us salvation.
3. O sinful man! It was the ban Of death on thee that brought Him Down to suffer for thy sins And such woe hath wrought Him.
4. Lo, stained with blood, The Lamb of God, The Bridegroom, lies before thee, Pouring out His life that He May to life restore thee.
5. O Ground of faith, Laid low in death. Sweet lips. now silent sleeping! Surely all that live must mourn Here with bitter weeping.
6. Oh. blest shall be Eternally Who oft in faith will ponder Why the glorious Prince of Life Should be buried yonder.
7. O Jesus blest, My Help and Rest With tears I now entreat Thee: Make me love Thee to the last, Till in heaven I greet Thee!

Last edited by packsaddle; Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:57 PM.
packsaddle #28542 Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:23 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
packsaddle said:
God Died for us.

as it is written 1 Cor. 2, 8: They have crucfied the Lord of glory. And Acts 20, 28: We are purchased with God's blood.
This has already been answered quite sufficiently by myself and others but particularly by Charles Hodge in his excellent Systematic Theology, from which some excepts have been made available in this thread. Click the links below:

Attached Images
Attached PDF document
Communion of attributes.pdf (31.14 KB, 568 downloads)
Attached PDF document
The Person of Christ & Lutheranism.pdf (152.18 KB, 611 downloads)

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 79 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,513,682 Gospel truth