Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17
Journeyman
Journeyman
Volition is not the same thing as "libertarian" free will:

2. Conversion and Repentance

Since the term sanctification commonly refers to the life-long battle against sin, it is not usual to include regeneration in the concept. Regeneration initiates the Christian life, resurrecting the dry bones and clothing them with flesh – something only God can do – but the first conscious human activity in this new life is faith. Faith, human activity as it is, is still a gift from God. This activity, or its first moments, may be called conversion. The previous state of mind is replaced by belief in the atoning death of Christ. The man consciously changes his mind – for repentance is a change of mind – and turns from his old thinking toward the Savior. First Peter 2:25 reports concerning his addressees, who had been previously straying like lost sheep, that they had now returned to the Shepherd and Bishop of their souls. Acts 11:21 is less flowery, but more exact: “A great number believed and turned to the Lord.” In theological language this turning is called conversion. The German pastor of the Presbyterian Church at 19th and Susquehanna in Philadelphia, back in the 1920s, in the Schlussversammlung of an evangelistic series, dramatically illustrated it by executing an about face in the pulpit as he said, “Bekehren ist umkehren.”

If, now, one wishes to examine what is simultaneous, or what the logical relations are, one could say that repentance itself more commonly connected with aversion from sin than with belief in the Trinity, is an act of and a part of faith. Believing is indeed an act of the human self, caused by God to be sure, and totally impossible except for regeneration and God’s gift; but it is nonetheless a human volition. It is the first act in a Christian life. Dead bones cannot believe; but when clothed with flesh they live, and they live a life of faith. By means of this volition God justifies the sinner on the ground of Christ’s merits. This judicial pronouncement inevitably, if some people do not care to say automatically, sets in motion the life-long process of sanctification. The purpose of justification, or at least one of the purposes, and the immediate one, is to produce sanctification. The earliest stage of this is conversion, so early that it might be identified with the first act of faith itself. Consider some of the Scriptural material, both from the Old Testament and from the New Testament. Psalm 19:7: The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul. Psalm 51:13: Then will I teach transgressors thy ways, and sinners shall be converted unto thee.

Gordon H. Clark (2013-03-04T05:00:00+00:00). What Is The Christian Life? (Kindle Locations 165-188). The Trinity Foundation. Kindle Edition.

Trinity Foundation: What Is the Christian Life?

Last edited by Cranmer; Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:28 AM.

For "who has known the mind of the LORD that he may instruct Him?" But we have the mind of Christ. (1 Corinthians 2:16 NKJ)
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by Cranmer
My point is that your view is Arminian, while Clark's view is not.
That is preposterous and laughable, having completed my Master's Thesis, albeit many years ago, on the Canons of Dordt and with very few exceptions agree whole heartedly with it and the Synod's unanimous judgment that classic Arminianism as elucidated in the Remontrance is damnable heresy.

Methinks you are unfortunately confused and consequently make accusations and conclusions which are unwarranted and unfounded. scold

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
And who is insisting that it is? shrug

Clark's understanding of repentance is faulty because it is inadequately defined. The "change of mind" is but one element of repentance which is inextricably joined with the regenerated sinners spiritual and godly affections. It is the combination of the two: new understanding/knowledge and new affections/predisposition which govern the change of will, i.e., the decision to aver from sin and pursue holiness and righteousness. Regeneration effects the WHOLE man, not just the intellect. I have challenged you on this before by way of a question concerning faith; Is faith simply the acknowledgment and embracing of certain truths? I say, and historic confessional Reformed teaching rejects such a view. In fact, this month's Article of the Month by L. Berkhof, FAITH deals specifically with that subject. True saving faith is known as fiducia. Any other alleged "faith" is spurious and cannot save. Most common among Evangelicals and now increasingly so, Reformed churches teach Sandemanianism. However, you still haven't answered that question and we are still waiting for it.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley
The human nature prior to the fall is not predetermined to good or evil. But that does not prove that Adam had two equal choices as the libertarian free will view espouses. God has free will but does God have the liberty to become the author of evil acts? Not at all.

Charlie, how can you say that God has a free will? Do you REALLY believe this?

The Chestnut Mare
Tom Online Content
Needs to get a Life
Online Content
Needs to get a Life
Cramner

Pilgrim certainly doesn't need defending; however I can't help but think you are not actually reading what Pilgrim is saying.
At no point has he stated that man has free-will.
He has stated clearly as far as I can tell, that man has free-agency; however free-will and free-agency are not the same.
Free-agency means that man is free to choose whatever they want; however they will never choose anything outside their natures.
When God regenerates (makes alive) the sinner, they are irresistibly drawn to Jesus. They are given faith, but it is them that put their faith in Christ alone, regardless of the fact that their faith was gifted to them. (Eph.2:8-10)
As these verses indicate they cannot boast in their faith as though they played a part in their justification, seeing it is a gift.

Can I ask you to exegete John 6:37? "All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out." Where it says "will come to Me" does it indicate an action on the part of those whom the Father gives to Jesus? Or does it indicate an action done by God?

For more on free-agency, go to:http://www.reformedreader.org/rbb/reisinger/gwmwfwch03.htm
Tom

Last edited by Tom; Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:08 PM.
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
What question was that? Am I a Supralapsarian? Yes, I am. But since when is Supralapsarianism a heresy? The fact is Arminianism is a heresy, not Supralapsarianism.
Who said Supralapsarianism is a heresy?

The Canons of Dort do not condemn supralapsarianism. They condemn Arminianism:)
True, but again, who said that the Canons of Dordt condemn Supralapsarianism?

While it is true that the Westminster Confession leans toward infralapsarianism, it is also true that the WCF allows for supralapsarianism, particularly in the chapter on God's decrees.
The majority of the framers of the WCF held to Infralapsarianism but did not openly condemn Supralapsarianism. The Confession is written in such a way as to 'allow' the Supralapsarian view.

I'm always amused when Baptists accuse Calvinists of being "hyper" Calvinists. That's because such accusations are usually a smoke screen for semi-Arminianism.
No one here has professed to be a Baptist and accused Calvinists of being "hyper" Calvinists. Perhaps you have confused this place with some other venue? scratch1

In short, everything you have written above is irrelevant to this thread and thus a total waste of everyone's time. igiveup

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
My point is that your view is Arminian, while Clark's view is not.
That is preposterous and laughable, having completed my Master's Thesis, albeit many years ago, on the Canons of Dordt and with very few exceptions agree whole heartedly with it and the Synod's unanimous judgment that classic Arminianism as elucidated in the Remontrance is damnable heresy.

Methinks you are unfortunately confused and consequently make accusations and conclusions which are unwarranted and unfounded. scold

Methinks you are a Van Tilian who believes that truth is two-fold in Scripture. Scripture is univocally the very Word of God, not an "analogy" of God's revelation. The Van Tilian view is nothing more than a modified form of Neo-Orthodoxy.

Scripture is not an analogy of God's revelation. Scripture IS God's Word. Univocally.

You explicitly denied above that regeneration is a necessary proposition in the ordo salutis. If any one link in the golden chain of salvation is missing then the whole system of theology is broken.

Salvation is from beginning to end entirely a sovereign grace of God.

Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. (Hebrews 12:2 KJV)

Why would you continuely attack Calvinist doctrine if you are a Calvinist? If God has no control over the wills of men without violating their moral agency, how did the biblical writers write the Scriptures? The words of Scripture are the words of men but they are also the very words of God and they are exactly what God intended for us to read and know. Thus, God is the divine source of the Scriptures, yet men wrote them as they were moved by the Holy Spirit. (2 Peter 1:19-21).

I am the author of what I am writing here. Yet God is in complete control of even my thoughts and words without violating my will. Whatsoever comes to pass is ordained of God, including my words and actions. Even though I am the author of my own choices and I am fully accountable and responsible, yet nothing comes to pass apart from God's divine decree. (Isaiah 14:24; 46:10).

The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will. (Proverbs 21:1 KJV)

Charlie

For "who has known the mind of the LORD that he may instruct Him?" But we have the mind of Christ. (1 Corinthians 2:16 NKJ)
Journeyman
Journeyman

Clark's understanding of repentance is faulty because it is inadequately defined. The "change of mind" is but one element of repentance which is inextricably joined with the regenerated sinners spiritual and godly affections. It is the combination of the two: new understanding/knowledge and new affections/predisposition which govern the change of will, i.e., the decision to aver from sin and pursue holiness and righteousness. Regeneration effects the WHOLE man, not just the intellect. I have challenged you on this before by way of a question concerning faith; Is faith simply the acknowledgment and embracing of certain truths? I say, and historic confessional Reformed teaching rejects such a view. In fact, this month's Article of the Month by L. Berkhof, FAITH deals specifically with that subject. True saving faith is known as fiducia. Any other alleged "faith" is spurious and cannot save. Most common among Evangelicals and now increasingly so, Reformed churches teach Sandemanianism. However, you still haven't answered that question and we are still waiting for it.

Please define for me what you mean by the term "affections"? Also, have you read Clark for yourself? You certainly do not seem to understand that the biblical term "heart" is the same thing as the "mind". Surely you are not saying that emotions produce holiness?

Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. (Psalm 119:11 KJV)
Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. (John 17:17 KJV)

Sanctification begins with knowledge. That's what the Bible says.

NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. (Psalm 119:105 KJV)

Charlie

Journeyman
Journeyman

I don't know what question you're referring to. Ask me again.

Second of all, you seem to be completely ignorant of the fact that Clark asserted that faith is assent/belief. The faculty psychology to which you are appealing is not biblical. The soul, heart, mind are all one thing. Furthermore, the distinction between faith and trust is tautological. Faith and trust are the same thing so saying that trust is something required in addition to faith is saying nothing more than that faith requires faith or belief requires belief. Assenting to the doctrines of the Bible means that you not only understand them but that you also believe them. I understand many things that I do not believe. I understand Islam's basic doctrines but I do not believe them. To believe the Bible is the same thing as conversion. To understand the Bible is not conversion. Many atheists understand the Bible but do they believe it?

No.

Knowledge/understanding plus faith/assent/trust (one tautological proposition) is saving faith. That faith is not dead but produces actual change in thinking and behavior. (Romans 12:1-2). The habits of life change from the moment of regeneration.

Charlie

Last edited by Cranmer; Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:19 AM.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted by chestnutmare
The human nature prior to the fall is not predetermined to good or evil. But that does not prove that Adam had two equal choices as the libertarian free will view espouses. God has free will but does God have the liberty to become the author of evil acts? Not at all.

Charlie, how can you say that God has a free will? Do you REALLY believe this?

God ALONE has "free" will. Free will is defined as being determined by NOTHING outside of Himself. God is completely independent of His creation. He is immutable and not subject to emotional paroxysms.

God is complete in Himself.

Do elect angels have free will? No. Do the saints in heaven have free will? No. That's because they are sealed to do only what is now good. Unless you're saying that the elect angels and the saints in heaven can change their mind and go to hell?

Charlie

Last edited by Cranmer; Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:15 AM.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Is faith simply the acknowledgment and embracing of certain truths?

Yes. That is correct. But salvation is based on the systematic understanding of Scripture as a whole. Faith that is living produces a change in thinking: repentance. That change in thinking produces a change in behavior. The "affections" are not the emotions as you imply. The affections according to Jonathan Edwards, includes the intellect/mind. The heart and the mind are the same thing in Scripture:

For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee. (Proverbs 23:7 KJV)

O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. 35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things. (Matthew 12:34-35 KJV)
For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: 20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man. (Matthew 15:19-20 KJV)
A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh. (Luke 6:45 KJV)

What you THINK determines what you ARE and HOW you BEHAVE.

And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. (Romans 12:2 KJV)

Last edited by Cranmer; Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:31 AM.

Journeyman
Journeyman
Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. 8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. 9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you. (Philippians 4:6-9 KJV)

The attack on knowledge of Scripture and thinking is unscriptural. It is knowledge, thinking, understanding coupled with assent to the propositions of that understanding that produces saving faith. That faith in turn produces a change in behavior and a life long commitment to sanctification as a process. Perseverance is struggle against sin, not a license to sin. God alone gives the grace of perseverance to His elect.

Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, 25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen. (Jude 1:24-25 KJV)

If God does not predetermine the elect to persevere then we have no hope whatsoever. If God leaves the elect to their own capricious and sinful wills, then it follows that they can have no assurance of salvation whatsoever.

While assurance can be lost, election and salvation cannot be lost. If so, then we are back in the Arminian theology of eternal insecurity.

1 John 1:8-9 and 1 John 5:18 are not opposed. There are no sinless Christians. But Christians as a matter of habit do not sin. The habits of their lives are forever changed and predisposed to a pattern of holiness, albeit they are never absolutely sinless in this life.

Charlie

Journeyman
Journeyman
To "embrace" the truth is different from simply understanding the truth. To understand without embracing the truth is not saving faith. To assent to the truth understood IS saving faith. That kind of faith always produces results in one's thinking and behavior. Dead faith is not the same as living faith. A "dead" faith is not genuine faith at all. It is merely understanding without assent.

Assentia/fiducia plus notitia is saving faith.

Journeyman
Journeyman
What is saving faith?

http://www.trinityfoundation.org/journal.php?id=10

"The crux of the difficulty with the popular analysis of faith into notitia (understanding), assensus (assent), and fiducia (trust), is that fiducia comes from the same root as fides (faith).

Hence this popular analysis reduces to the obviously absurd definition that faith consists of understanding, assent, and faith. Something better than this tautology must be found." -- Gordon H. Clark

Last edited by Cranmer; Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:51 AM.

Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Please define for me what you mean by the term "affections"?
Affections: the seat of one's desires, inclinations, propensities, predispositions, often in Scripture as referred to as the 'heart'.

Also, have you read Clark for yourself? You certainly do not seem to understand that the biblical term "heart" is the same thing as the "mind". Surely you are not saying that emotions produce holiness?
Yes, I have read Clark for myself and not someone else. grin

1. Heart and Personality:
As representing the man himself, it was considered to be the seat of the emotions and passions and appetites (Ge 19:4; Lev 20:12; Ps 104:15), and embraced likewise the intellectual and moral faculties - though these are necessarily ascribed to the "soul" as well. This distinction is not always observed.

2. Heart and Mind:
As the central organ in the body, forming a focus for its vital action, it has come to stand for the center of its moral, spiritual, intellectual life. "In particular the heart is the place in which the process of self-consciousness is carried out, in which the soul is at home with itself, and is conscious of all its doing and suffering as its own" (Oehler). Hence, it is that men of "courage" are called "men of the heart"; that the Lord is said to speak "in his heart" (Ge 8:21); that men "know in their own heart" (2Ch 26:2); that "no one considereth in his heart' (Isa 44:19 the King James Version). "Heart" in this connection is sometimes rendered "mind," as in 1Ch 14:8 ("of mine own mind," Vulgate (Jerome's Latin Bible, 390-405 A.D.) ex proprio corde, Septuagint ap' emautou); the foolish "is void of understanding," i.e. "heart" (Pr 6:32, where the Septuagint renders phrenon, Vulgate (Jerome's Latin Bible, 390-405 A.D.) cordis, Luther "der ist ein Narr"). God is represented as "searching the heart" and "trying the reins" (Jer 17:10 the King James Version). Thus, "heart" comes to stand for "conscience," for which there is no word in Hebrew, as in Job 27:6, "My heart shall not reproach me," or in Ps 34:16, "David's heart smote him"; compare Ps 37:2. From this it appears, in the words of Owen: "The heart in Scripture is variously used, sometimes for the mind and understanding, sometimes for the will, sometimes for the affections, sometimes for the conscience, sometimes for the whole soul. Generally, it denotes the whole soul of man and all the faculties of it, not absolutely, but as they are all one principle of moral operations, as they all concur in our doing of good and evil."

3. Figurative Senses:
The radical corruption of human nature is clearly taught in Scripture and brought into connection with the heart. It is "uncircumcised" (Jer 9:26; Ezek 44:7; compare Acts 7:51); and "hardened" (Ex 4:21); "wicked" (Prov 26:23); "perverse" (Prov 11:20); "godless" (Job 36:13); "deceitful and desperately wicked" (Jer 17:9 the King James Version). It defiles the whole man (Matt 15:19-20); resists, as in the case of Pharaoh, the repeated call of God (Ex 7:13). There, however, the law of God is written (Rom 2:15); there the work of grace is wrought (Acts 15:9), for the "heart" may be "renewed" by grace (Ezk 36:26), because the "heart" is the seat of sin (Gen 6:5; 8:21).

4. The Heart First:
We might also refer here to the command, on which both the Old Testament and New Testament revelation of love is based: "Thou shalt love Yahweh thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might" (Deut 6:5) and "And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself." (Lk 10:27); where "heart" always takes the first place, and is the term which in the New Testament rendering remains unchanged (compare Mt 22:37; Mk 12:30,33; Lk 10:27, where "heart" always takes precedence).

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Page 15 of 17 1 2 13 14 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,457 Gospel truth