Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#6027 Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:13 PM
Addict
Addict
As far as I know, Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond weren't known for dancing around the sacrificial snake pit in their sheep leggings. They did smoke, but that is one of those up-in-the-air kind of sins. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/rofl.gif" alt="rofl" title="rofl[/img]

"Ah, sitting - the great leveler of men. From the mightest of pharaohs to the lowest of peasants, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?" M. Burns
#6028 Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:28 PM
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
Some basic meanings of the term JAZZ: empty rhetoric or insincere or exaggerated talk, have sexual intercourse with, a genre of popular music that originated in New Orleans around 1900 and developed through increasingly complex styles. Now, ask yourself why they call it jazz and not something else? From where was the term and music born? Does it have any association with empty rhetoric or insincere or exaggerated talk or sex? Do any of the lyrics or long instrumentals match these definitions? peace

I too listened to much RnR and Jazz and assorted other music (my dad was Country Western nut [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/drop.gif" alt="drop" title="drop[/img]--you know you play the records backwards and your dog, your trailer, and your wife come back in that order....). Music should worship and glorify God and not man's fallen nature...it is that simple! If there is not enough of God for one to enjoy that one must supplement his listening to something other than Him, then one must ask how serious his relationship with God really is? scratchchin You are not only saved by Christ alone, but saved unto a lifestyle of Christ alone.

Reformed and Always Reforming,
Pilgrim #6029 Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:35 PM
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thank you

Willemina
beggar at His Throne
J_Edwards #6030 Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:04 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]Music should worship and glorify God and not man...it is that simple! If there is not enough of God for one to enjoy that one must supplement his listening to something other than Him, then one must ask how serious his relationship with God really is? You are not only saved by Christ alone, but saved unto a lifestyle of Christ alone.</font><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>So Joe, just to clarify what you are saying in my mind, are you maintaining that all music must be worship music and that alone? There can be no great chorals or orchestral pieces if they are not meant for worshiping God? No opera? etc...

J_Edwards #6031 Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:50 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand
Dear Joe,
In reply to:
[color:"blue"]You are not only saved by Christ alone, but saved unto a lifestyle of Christ alone.

Are you sure that is the best way of expressing this, Joe? If I take you literally--it's an old habit of mine--I cannot distinguish what you are saying from the what the monastics have always said.

I do not have a lifestyle of Christ alone. Every day the majority of my time, energy and resources are allocated to, among others:

Meeting the needs of my Wife
Meeting the needs of my Children
Meeting the needs of my Body for sustenance and health care
Meeting the needs of my Employer (and a pagan at that!)
Reading Bible to self and family (whew! maybe that one qualifies)
Praying with self and family (make that two!)
Playing music (not only Bach, but occasionally the scandalous Mozart and Beethoven, not to mention Gilbert & Sullivan (well, S. was a Christian, I guess))
Paying bills (to non-Christian companies, primarily)
Reading the news from the secular media
Thinking about how to replace the dining room ceiling, a big chunk of which landed on the table last Saturday (for which we have praised God that no one got hurt, so that may get partial credit?)
and frequently
Reading, and Writing responses to, posts on this site

If I take you literally, when you say [color:red]If there is not enough of God for one to enjoy that one must supplement his listening to something other than Him, then one must ask how serious his relationship with God really is, I am in major trouble, because I hear much through the day (not just music, mind you) that is other than Him.

Could you please clarify your terms?

P.S. One of our newly-adopted daughter's favorite songs--in addition to "Nothing But the Blood of Jesus" and "Jesus Loves Me"--is:
"Did You Ever See A Lassie?" Do I infer from your statement [color:red]Music should worship and glorify God and not man...it is that simple! that I am leading her astray, when we sing that song as we walk around the block, swinging her THIS WAY and THAT WAY?

Last edited by Paul_S; Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:10 PM.

In Christ,
Paul S
CovenantInBlood #6032 Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:30 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I like listening to punk, rave, dance and rock. But I would'nt listen to it in church though.

Have you heard the so-called christian band POD (payable on death)? The music varies from heavy rock to melodic ballards. Some of the lyrics are pretty good too but in the main they are rank arminians , as are all so-called christian rock bands.

Country , jazz and classical is music to slit your wrists over IMHO. Its so depressing .

In church I would prefer no music at all , just singing.

howard

Paul_S #6033 Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:45 AM
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
In reply to:
I do not have a lifestyle of Christ alone. Every day the majority of my time, energy and resources are allocated to, among others:

Does not a lifestyle of Christ alone include submitting yourself to one another in love: thus loving others, caring for your household, working for pagan employers with singleness of heart, ....(Eph 5:21--6::18)? What so ever you do, do all to the glory of God is part of that lifestyle!

#6034 Tue Sep 30, 2003 3:59 AM
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
In reply to:
So Joe, just to clarify what you are saying in my mind, are you maintaining that all music must be worship music and that alone? There can be no great chorals or orchestral pieces if they are not meant for worshiping God? No opera? etc...

No. What I mean is that we should listen to music that has "truth" in it and that is edifying to God. Much of what I see in classical music (Classical music is not the only music that displays these types of lyrics....)--the words--do not seem to corrupt the image of God or glorify the fallen image of man in their lyrics .......I can sing a love song to my wife (she would throw me out of th house. I only sing solos, so low you can not hear me rofl ) and be completely Scriptural as long as it was truthful, et. al.

Though the Bible is truth, it is not the ONLY truth...... I am typing this on a computer...this is truth--(1) I am typing (2) this is a computer, but neither typing or computers are in the Scripture...... Music should be truthful and not glorify the sins of man and then I believe it is OK, but still it is on a case by case basis for me.

#6035 Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:19 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
From what I heard, POD broke up cuz the drummer got tired of 2 of the other guys drinking all the time. I will admit though that before I heard that stuff, I was a pretty big fan. Now I'm just like whatever and don't listen to them much anymore.

Last edited by Kalled2Preach; Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:21 AM.
J_Edwards #6036 Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:39 AM
Old Hand
Old Hand
Dear Joe,

Of course I agree with you, and of course I assumed you were saying the same thing earlier. The point I was belaboring was your that you had used several consecutive blanket dictums which, taken at face value, could lead one of tender conscience into either legalism or despair. Your responses to my post and Prestor John's, in contrast, flesh the issue out much more helpfully.

In Christ,
Paul S
#6037 Tue Sep 30, 2003 2:54 PM
Persnickety Presbyterian
OP Offline
Persnickety Presbyterian
Howard! I have to say I'm somewhat surprised with your musical tastes. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/drop.gif" alt="drop" title="drop[/img]

Yes, I have heard of P.O.D.; in fact, I have a copy of their album, Satellite. Haven't listened to it in awhile, though. I got turned off pretty quick after finding out about some of their connections to Rastafarianism.

As far as country, jazz, and classical---I can stand some country, but for the most part, no. Jazz I don't particularly enjoy. I do like some classical, though.

Kyle

I tell you, this man went down to his house justified.
willemina #6038 Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:09 PM
And to sum it up, it stinks<br><br>

gil
CovenantInBlood #6039 Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:05 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
What is so surprising about my musical tastes ?<br><br>howard

#6040 Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:22 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
In reply to:
I like listening to punk, rave, dance and rock. . . . What is so surprising about my musical tastes?

Howard,

If you are serious about your first statement concerning your "likes" in music (if that is an appropriate term), then I'm surprised you asked the question why anyone would be surprised that a professing Christian would say such a thing! Let me put it to you bluntly . . . How can ANYONE "like" anything even remotely connected to "Punk Rock" or "Rave", never mind listen to that assaulting noise? Frankly, I find it insulting to my intelligence. Even the name, "PUNK" I find offensive. The name is quite descriptive of what it is, I must admit . . . brainless noise with an attitude. I'm sorry, but I simply cannot...... no, WILL NOT believe that the Lord Christ, if He were here on earth now, would accompany you to a PUNK ROCK concert and/or participate in a RAVE. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/drop.gif" alt="drop" title="drop[/img]

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #6041 Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:38 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I am saddened that you feel that way about certain music Pilgrim.

To you it may be an assaulting noise, but to others...............

Music does not have the same effect on me as it clearly does you .

Perhaps its an age thing ? (I'm 43)

howard

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 60 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,484 Gospel truth