J.C. Philpot is best known for his "Mysticism", i.e., morbid introspection. We have had Loooooong discussions on this board about him and other 'Christian Mystics' in the past. Do a search. grin

Those who follow Philpot and those who are of the same ilk are often plagued for their entire lives about whether they are truly saved. Questions that are burdensome and even debilitating are: "Have I repented enough?", "Is my faith genuine or false?", "Are my prayers not heard due to my myriad sins?", etc., etc., ad nauseam. These people rarely dare to take of the Lord's Supper because they cannot believe that they are regenerate. In the end, they blame God for their current state whether they are willing to admit it or not. Many say, "If God would only give me a new heart, I would surely believe. I have prayed that God would do that but He has refused to do so up until this point." In some way, this is rather humorous for it is too similar to what Adam did after he sinned against God and when God confronted him with what he had done.

Genesis 3:11-13 (ASV) 11 And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat? 12 And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat. 13 And Jehovah God said unto the woman, What is this thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.
Ah yes, if God had not created a woman (Eve) who persuaded him to eat of the fruit, he never would have sinned. Eve likewise blame-shifted her sin from herself to the Serpent. It is absolutely true that God the Spirit brings spiritual life to a sinners dead soul and without that work of regeneration, no one CAN believe. But this does not negate the truth that everyone is responsible to repent and believe. In fact, there can be no desire to repent and believe. If one is burdened with their sins and confesses their guiltiness before God and desires that their sins be washed away and to be clothed in Christ's perfect righteousness... that Christ is altogether lovely and it is only in Him that one can be reconciled to God, then there is more than a strong possibility that the Spirit has already been at work to bring that sinner to Christ.