Tom,

I don't envy your role in this debate. However if you want to understand the arguments pro-abortionists make you may want to review this Pro-Abortion Link It's really sad how depraved and self-centered abortion arguments are but here are some.

• Questions concerning abortion:

What is abortion?

Abortion is the termination of pregnancy by the induced removal of an embryo or fetus (that is incapable of survival outside the body of the woman) which results in the death of the embryo/fetus.

What is the essential political issue concerning abortion?

The essential political question concerning abortion is: does the fetus have a right to be in the body of a woman against the will of the woman? Or: does a woman's body belong to her, or to the government to forcibly dispose of in favor of the fetus?

Doesn't a fetus have a right to be inside the body of the woman?

A fetus does not have a right to be in the womb of any woman, but is there by her permission. This permission may be revoked by the woman at any time, because her womb is part of her body. Permissions are not rights. There is no such thing as the right to live inside the body of another, i.e. there is no right to enslave. Contrary to the opinion of anti-abortion activists (falsely called "pro-lifers" as they are against the right to life of the actual human being involved) a woman is not a breeding pig owned by the state (or church). Even if a fetus were developed to the point of surviving as an independent being outside the pregnant woman's womb, the fetus would still not have the right to be inside the woman's womb.

What applies to a fetus, also applies to a physically
    dependent adult. If an adult—say a medical welfare recipient—must survive by being connected to someone else, they may only do so by the voluntary permission of the person they must be connected to. There is no such thing as the right to live by the efforts of someone else, i.e., there is no such thing as the right to enslave.

This is just a sampling of what you'll find at this site. How tragic these arguments are. But if your going to debate their rights you'll find their position stated at the link above.

Unfortunately you will have to avoid the Bible in your arguments because it puts the value of life as something seen and known by God even before we are knit together in the womb of our mother. (See Psalm 139)

Wes

When I survey the wondrous cross on which the Prince of Glory died, my richest gain I count but loss and pour contempt on all my pride. - Isaac Watts